What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone feel that ipad3 battery dropping faster than ipad2?

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My gut feeling is that my iPad3 discharges the battery slightly faster than my iPad2. My daily iPad routine is very consistent and I replaced the iPad2 with the iPad3. I am not unhappy at all with its battery life. I may do back to back comparison. I noticed that the display on the iPad 3 needs to be at least 30% for the color to look normal. The iPad2 had a more linear dimming effect. Above 40% the new iPad blows the iPad2 away. Bellow 35%, the iPad 2 looks more accurate.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My gut feeling is that the iPad 3 can and frequently does drain battery faster than the iPad 2. Especially if you are doing screen intensive stuff with auto-brightness turned off and at 50%+ brightness. It's the nature of the beast.

In a way, the new iPad and the iPad 2 feel like very different devices in terms of battery use. So much so that one could justify owning both. My solution to the battery issues is just to keep chargers at my main locations: home, work and car. This way, I have many chances to keep the batt topped off.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice with each full drain and charge that it does seem to last longer after.

Mrpete31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the 1, 2 and now 3. This battery lasts about 60% as compared to the previous iPads (comparable hardware).

What the???

This is a horrible step backwards.

mckeown05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have two new iPads, an iPad 2 and an original iPad and the new iPads do drain faster, I used to use battery doctor when charging but my iPads seemed to drain quicker after using it. I've found that turning off the smart cover functionality helps preserve battery time as we had issues with batteries draining when in standby sometimes (only occasionally not all the time).

LunarMoonBase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. I have both, iPad 2 and 3 and battery last the same in both. No difference at all. The only one that is a little bit crazy is my iPhone 4S. Sometimes the battery last 2 days, sometimes 1 day, etc., for the same usage and charge...

Supersonic10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3, battery loss

Thats a BIG YES, though it bothers me I still love this iPad and when they rectify the battery loss problem with the
Next generation- I will sell my completely scratch free "old" I pad recover half the money and upgrade! Been doi g this for awhile and it works for me so I end up spending about $500 for a 64gig, wifi/4G model!! I love I am not one of those people who trade my car in every year (far from it) so I am very happy I can trade up my I pad every year and never really lose money on it! I am also a good friend and will sell them to people I know very well plush that way they no they are getting a product in 100% tip top shape! I even save the bag, box and everything else you get from the store so teeny get the real feel for their purchase!! It's a win win for my friends , my family and neighbors. They are always waiting for the next iPad to come around so they can hang around and try and get first dibs! It's
Become the joke amongst loved ones "ok when is she getting her new one, have you ya
Ke to her yet"!!!!!! All in good fun because the of my friends that own one the more fun we have!!!

qvp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can literally see the battery percentage drop while using the iPad for less than 30 minutes.

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Much the same usage for me, but it does take much longer to charge.
Maybe the battery seems to deplete quicker because in fact we are using the new iPad much more....cos it's so fantastic.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Initially I thought the battery life was going to be equal to our other iPads. I have since been convinced that is not the case. I use my new 3rd gen the exact same as my previous and barely get two days of use from a charge when I used to get 3 or 4.

I agree with a few posts above: Gen 3 has about 60% the run time of iPad 1st and 2nd gen.

I run brightness at 45-50% and "Auto" so beyond the high res that shouldn't be eating up the battery. My thought is it's the 4G / LTE and CPU prowess. Either way, I'm not sure "just accepting" it is the answer. I need to read the small print yet when you claim 10 hrs one should get it with "average use". That's not happening IMHO. Apple products have always met and/or exceeded expectations. This is a step in the wrong direction.

PS - just typing this short post my battery has dropped 3%.

Cheers

Last edited:

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If by typing this post you battery fell by 3 % something is obviously wrong, for the past 20 minutes I have looked at 10 different forums in tapatalk and the battery dropped by 1%!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk

bhwolfman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's definitely dropping faster -- I can live with that while using more intensive apps. Every once in awhile, I'll let the battery run way down and recharge it to 100%, so it shouldn't be a calibration issue at this point. I have most notifications off, push mail is off (though it does update hourly). It's really the same setup as my ipad 2. (Both have cellular, but it's disabled.)

Last night, for example, I put the ipad down before bed and it was at 92%. Sitting on home screen, I put it to sleep. This morning, it was at 85%. The screen wasn't on at all during that time. I can understand some drain for notifications/etc., but 7%? My ipad 2 would typically be the same percentage. It shouldn't be background apps, they should all be suspended.

Most reactions

Latest posts