What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else waiting???

OP
D

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Glad to see I'm not alone. I think by the weekend the major rush will be over.

When I logged onto my desktop this morning, my computer told me that Itunes needed to be upgraded to 10.5 (which I thought I did on Tuesday) and Safari to 5, so I let the computer do its thing. Wonder if I will see the same messages on my Laptop which I also updated and backed up on Tuesday. Didn't see any messages on my iphone 3gs or Ipad2.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited. Until today! :)

Had no issues whatsumever. Actually, I was fully expecting to have to reorganize everything, but all of my folders were perfectly intact. So, whew, yeah.

AnnaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP - iOS 5, should I take the plunge?

I decided I must update my iPads to iOS 5 today, but now I don't know what to do.
Had cause to completely remove iTunes from my computer, so started afresh, I have reloaded iTunes on my computer, so have the latest version but when I connected my iPad, I got message saying everything would be deleted. I am now desperately attempting to download some of my many Apps to the iTunes library from the App store. (broadband connection soooooo slooooow) When this is finally achieved (may take days at this rate), has anyone any advice on how to go about going about the upgrade? Do I need to sync my iPad first, will it let me, will I lose all my apps, and will I be able to get them all back in their respective folders as I have a lot. My gen 1 iPad is almost full and it is 64gb. My iPad 2 is only half full (hence half empty!!) Any advice greatly appreciated.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AnnaR said:
I decided I must update my iPads to iOS 5 today, but now I don't know what to do.
Had cause to completely remove iTunes from my computer, so started afresh, I have reloaded iTunes on my computer, so have the latest version but when I connected my iPad, I got message saying everything would be deleted. I am now desperately attempting to download some of my many Apps to the iTunes library from the App store. (broadband connection soooooo slooooow) When this is finally achieved (may take days at this rate), has anyone any advice on how to go about going about the upgrade? Do I need to sync my iPad first, will it let me, will I lose all my apps, and will I be able to get them all back in their respective folders as I have a lot. My gen 1 iPad is almost full and it is 64gb. My iPad 2 is only half full (hence half empty!!) Any advice greatly appreciated.

Check out this thread, and in particular Twerppoet's advice, to see if it helps http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...hased-apps-books-wrt-new-pc-but-old-ipad.html

OP
D

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Since I am re-ripping cds to my new ipod, I will be patient and continue to wait on IOS5 until everyone is happy. I know we see more difficulties probably here on the forum but all my newsletters are still advisiting to wait.

kattee817

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am usually a "wait and see" girl, but after seeing some of the features on YouTube, I jumped on the bandwagon. I updated iTunes on the 11th but didn't back up my iPad. Last night, it appeared that the iOS was updating, it took two hours. But apparently, it was just a tease. So here I am giving it another shot. Currently, its been "backing up" for about 2 hours. If it doesn't take tonight, I think I will wait till next week.

Exbuster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a success story if anyone is interested.

I have a Windows PC laptop, Dell, Centrino, 1GB on WiFi with DSL running iTunes.
At 9:30 PM Pacific on Wed 9/12, in iTunes on the first try, I checked for updates, and selected "download only" for iOS5. Took 20 min.
At 10:00 PM, I started the upgrade but got an iTunes message to sync my iPad2 (64GB, AT&T,wifi) first which I did and then I started the upgrade.
Upgrade completed successfully by 11:30 PM Pacific.

It did take 2 hours from beginning to end, but the Apple servers responded immediately. I know their data center is on the East Coast U.S.A, but I do live 40 miles from Cupertino, CA. Not sure how their connections are distributed so it may or may not have contributed to the experience success.

Used my iPad2 all day no problems. My only annoyance is that the Newsstand does not incorporate all magazines you may have. Also there is no Siri for iPad users.

Last edited:

Exbuster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exbuster said:
Here is a success story if anyone is interested.

I have a Windows PC laptop, Dell, Centrino, 1GB on WiFi running iTunes.
At 9:30 PM Pacific on Wed 9/12, in iTunes on the first try, I checked for updates, and selected "download only" for iOS5. Took 20 min.
At 10:00 PM, I started the upgrade but got an iTunes message to sync my iPad2 (64GB, AT&T,wifi) first which I did and then I started the upgrade.
Upgrade completed successfully by 11:30 PM Pacific.

It did take 2 hours from beginning to end, but the Apple servers responded immediately. I know their data center is on the East Coast U.S.A, but I do live 40 miles from Cupertino, CA. Not sure how their connections are distributed so it may or may not have contributed to the experience success.

Used my iPad2 all day no problems. My only annoyance is that the Newsstand does not incorporate all magazines you may have.

And no Siri for the iPad

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When getting the 3200 and (I believe) 1630 code, put your iGadget into airplane mode first! Then do the install.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been reading about errors and problems getting ios5 downloaded today.

So a couple of thousand people have problems often brought about by themselves and maybe millions don't. On that basis you will never upgrade anything.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My only annoyance is that the Newsstand does not incorporate all magazines you may have.

A lot of magazines are currently stand alone apps. I'm sure that will change over time.

soullessbunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm waiting. A long painful history with Microsoft has taught me not to rush into anything...

Sent from my much loved iPad2 using iPF

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm waiting too. Just got my pad last weekend and still learning the current version. But I will let the dust settle and read up a bit before taking the plunge.

I have to say though I think my pad is fantastic. Glad I joined the thousands of you

Most reactions