What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any changes to Cydia's default repos (especially TheBigBoss)?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have there been any changes to the URLs of the Cydia's default repos? A while ago, I was starting to get the error about exceeding the number of packages/lists, and tracked it down to the Big Boss repo on my list. I removed it, and Cydia was working again.

I once tried to add it back (apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/), but it would complain about not being the correct version, or too old, or something like that.

And yesterday the Protect My Privacy app started to notify me that it's out-of-date and should be updated through Cydia. Yet, there are no updates listed in Cydia. It seems as though I'm missing a repo or something, or Cydia isn't working properly anymore (although the Changes tab does show all new stuff, but none relevant to my installation).

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The maximum number of packages available for caching is 65535 (2^16 -1) packages. If you break the cap, that most likely means one of two things.

1) you're using too many small repos that have redundant packages that're taki up too much of your available caching

2) you have one or more piracy repo.

BigBoss and the other default repos will never cause issues unless its a server refresh or restart, or when there's massive traffic like the first 2 weeks of Evasi0n's release

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll recheck the list for redundancies. Could the fact that I have "Developer" checked in Settings also have contributed to prior cache overload?

As for the BigBoss repository, here's the dialog box I get a second after "Verifying URL" goes away:

Did Not Find Repository.
The indicated repository could not be found. This could be because you are trying to add a legacy Installer repository (these are not supported). Also, this interface is only capable of working with exact repository URLs.

...when trying to add "http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/". Looks like the URL isn't valid anymore, since it doesn't even "find" it.

EDIT:
Solved the BigBoss part... found this http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/105501/what-is-the-repo-url-for-bigboss
"Keep in mind that you can't add the BigBoss repository by typing in a URL. It's installed by default, and if you remove it, you can add it again by tapping "More Package Sources" on the Cydia homepage."

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uhh I don't think the user profiling affects cache overload. The only difference is that you see either the "plain" view of packages, or all the mumbo-jumbo behind it. And yeah, that goes for all default repositories. They're basically packaged sources.

Most reactions