What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see your point about customization, but how many people can justify $39.99 (or $69.99) + another $30 for a back skin. It's not something i'm willing to invest in. It's just too much--i'll stick with the smartcover and hold on to my iPad like my life depends on it, lol. One bad fall and it has "charecter" :D

After spending $829 that's seems like a small amount. I also spent additional $$ to get leather seats in my new car. I guess it's different for everyone. :)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went through 3 full-cover cases on my iPad1 and was never completely satisfied with any of them. I'm glad Apple split the top and bottom covers. Now I can customize to a much finer extent.

This only speaks to how personal an accessory is, and how people have different expectations and requirements. I have two full-cover cases on my iPad and am completely satisfied with both (and both of them are customized and made-to-order.)

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
No, you're not. I decided it was too inconvenient to pay 40 for a front cover with no back protection. Pre pre ordered a grovemade case.

But while they are beautiful, the Grovemade cases are $80. There are lots of choices for considerably less money. Still, it looks great.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a leather smart cover I got missed priced at Wal-Mart , I really like it. I'm waiting for a zagg leather back cover.

techgonewild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 Case

I got a ZooGue case becuase I liked there case for the iPad 1. It can turn the screen off aswell. Check it out at zoogue.com

I got 20% off with this code ZGHENDREN26 code expires soon so if you want one order now.

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
It doesn't.

In fact, how do you hold your iPad upside down without holding the cover? It's nearly impossible, but the cover stays closed on mine.

If you put the smart cover in place and hold the iPad on the side where it attaches, then turn it upside down my cover will flop open from it's own weight.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Targus Protective cover/stand for iPad2

We got a new iPad2 last week, we were impressed with Apple's Smart Cover ... but as other have pointed out there is no protection for the back. I stopped into Best Buy to see if any of the Smart Covers were in stock ... no.

So I looked at other options on the shelves and found the Targus VuScape cover, case, and stand. It is faux leather, slightly padded, first class stitching, with color matching the nice blue of the inside soft material. The rear cover has corner hooks and two more about 2" lower on the short sides. The inside of the front cover has two detent slots and the cover has a simple hook latch. The cover when unfolded can be formed for support at (3) different angles. It is amazingly simple yet stable. Very professional looking and fits perfectly. I really like the corner clips that protect the corners. Check it out. Priced the same as the Smart Cover. :)

No magnetic on/off feature however (wanted that feature)... oh, well.

I made a little slit in the inner cover material and pushed a small magnet inside the pocket. It is so nice to just lift the cover and it turns on. Close it and it is off. Slick.

Last edited:

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it cause it comes off so easy for around the house use...I upgaded my poly for a cream leather and it feels so much nicer!...downside is no back protection so must baby it unlike my ipad 1 and original case which i just plop it anywhere!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
It doesn't.

In fact, how do you hold your iPad upside down without holding the cover? It's nearly impossible, but the cover stays closed on mine.

If you put the smart cover in place and hold the iPad on the side where it attaches, then turn it upside down my cover will flop open from it's own weight.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

There were reports of smart covers being defective due to not having the full complement of magnets. You sould take yours back for an exchange. I can't make my cover come off upside down no matter how hard I shake it.

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same cover is clever but getting dirty and easy to detach. I got red leather cover and I could see stain already on leather. Eventually I will get black leather too to replace red one but that is another $70 to apple. Easy detaching makes my wife nuts, she is not very technical.

Reaction score
Tarkio said:
There were reports of smart covers being defective due to not having the full complement of magnets. You sould take yours back for an exchange. I can't make my cover come off upside down no matter how hard I shake it.

So you can hold the iPad with the cover facing downwards and the cover holds?

If mine falls off, when the angle is less then 68° (assuming horizontal is 0°), may I assume that it is defective?

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't read through the 21 pages. Maybe someone posted this?
Maybe Apple overlooked 1 element or they intended it to function like it should. The color is outside while the inside is microfibers?(gray) When you curl it to your liking for a stand, it curls in a way where the microfibers are OUTSIDE, so you're laying on the, supposedly, sensitive side of the cover that protects your screen. That side can attract dirt or what not, that could possibly scratch the screen. If apple would've made the screen more flexible or made it to curl "inside" so the color or the more harder section be outside, it'd be better. I've tried to somewhat force the cover to sit on the harder side, but it doesn't stand right. But i'm ok w/ what it is and it's cool! Also, Apple engineered the thing pretty damn good, it locks perfectly centered with the magnets and the cover is perfectly aligned w/out any major overlap on the edges....

ziggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

So you can hold the iPad with the cover facing downwards and the cover holds?

If mine falls off, when the angle is less then 68° (assuming horizontal is 0°), may I assume that it is defective?

My poly cover does not fall off at any time, in any position I hold the iPad, even when I shake it.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't read through the 21 pages. Maybe someone posted this?
Maybe Apple overlooked 1 element or they intended it to function like it should. The color is outside while the inside is microfibers?(gray) When you curl it to your liking for a stand, it curls in a way where the microfibers are OUTSIDE, so you're laying on the, supposedly, sensitive side of the cover that protects your screen. That side can attract dirt or what not, that could possibly scratch the screen. If apple would've made the screen more flexible or made it to curl "inside" so the color or the more harder section be outside, it'd be better. I've tried to somewhat force the cover to sit on the harder side, but it doesn't stand right. But i'm ok w/ what it is and it's cool! Also, Apple engineered the thing pretty damn good, it locks perfectly centered with the magnets and the cover is perfectly aligned w/out any major overlap on the edges....

I only use the typing stand position with the Smart Cover, and the case can be folded with the microfiber on the inside. Its nice and stable. It's just the vertical viewing position that needs microfiber side out.

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only use the typing stand position with the Smart Cover, and the case can be folded with the microfiber on the inside. Its nice and stable. It's just the vertical viewing position that needs microfiber side out.

After i posted, i messed w/ the cover some more. It's true that you can use the typing position with the gray inside, but it's not as stable as w/ the gray side out...maybe 80%?? haha! If you push it a bit, it tends shifts or lifes the cover stand. You can actually position the ipad at a standing position w/ the colored side out, but VERY carefully or it will slide down or fall, so I wouldn't even do it. I also looked at multiple videos and ALL the videos and ads have the gray side out. O yea, on another note, I noticed on certain videos or circumstances, the volume button never shuts off. You can turn it off, but you'll still have volume. True for you too?? Thanks for the reply!

Most reactions