What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

badphish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I the micro-fiber underside which supposedly "buffs" the glass while its closed is the same side that comes in contact with the surface on which you lay the Ipad? Whether just flipped open or folded back for use as a stand, its potentially picking up any dirt or debris on the surface!

i fold my smart case the opposite way with the micro fiber insides and the vinyl asthe stand surface.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to anyone with a smartcover: does it actually clean the surface of the glass? I know it's soft material, but how can it clean without movement?? that's like a paper towel that claims to clean windows without wiping. It doesn't seem possible

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to anyone with a smartcover: does it actually clean the surface of the glass? I know it's soft material, but how can it clean without movement?? that's like a paper towel that claims to clean windows without wiping. It doesn't seem possible

It does clean some of the screen if you carry it around all day like I do to meetings. You can see what's been cleaned by the stripes of finger oil that are still on the screen where the inside of the cover has indentations for the folds. Those areas do not contact the screen.

Clemdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"It does clean some of the screen if you carry it around all day like I do to meetings. You can see what's been cleaned by the stripes of finger oil that are still on the screen where the inside of the cover has indentations for the folds. Those areas do not contact the screen."

I've got to agree with this. It somehow seems to minimize the fingerprints that always covered the screen on my iPad 1.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got some scratch protection for the back of my iPad :) The TINK looks red/orange in the picture but is actually the same pink as my iPad 2 cover.

Attachments

• image-1231565266.png
    image-1231565266.png
    787.8 KB · Views: 382

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cherhall said:
I just got some scratch protection for the back of my iPad :) The TINK looks red/orange in the picture but is actually the same pink as my iPad 2 cover.

Coolness! I really like that. Good job. Of all the Disney girls, Tinkerbell is my fave. She's cute!

What skin did you use? I have been thinking of doing something like that. I just got a generic black case that goes around the edge and the bezel just a tiny bit in conjunction with my Smart Cover.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Coolness! I really like that. Good job. Of all the Disney girls, Tinkerbell is my fave. She's cute!

What skin did you use? I have been thinking of doing something like that. I just got a generic black case that goes around the edge and the bezel just a tiny bit in conjunction with my Smart Cover.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I ordered it from Skinit.com, with a matching one for my iPhone 4.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took that piece of trash Smart Cover back today and swapped it for the Camera Connection Kit (and cash back)..

The Genius at the Apple Store didn't even ask any questions about why I was bringing it back, he just smiled and asked if I wanted a full refund, or if I wanted to look at something else.. After I got the Camera Connection Kit, he told me that they were putting $10 and some change back on my card..

So as we're standing there talking, I asked him why he didn't ask my any questions about WHY I was bringing it back, or didn't even open the packaging to inspect if for damage, and that's when he opens up a bit.. It appears that a lot of people are freaking out about the shavings from the hinges of the Smart Cover, and it leaving marks on their iPads.. he said he doesn't even ask anymore because he sees about 5-10 come back per day..

I find it odd that he was so open with me about it, but hey, i'm glad that he was.. He also says that people were bringing them in for the bleed issue, but that they only carry maybe 3 per week for replacements.. Not sure how true that is, or maybe he's seeing them come in at the rate of 3 per week, but i'm not sure how HE could know that it's ONLY 3.. maybe 3 to him, but if you average that out per Genius, which there is about 20 on hand at the Apple Store in Lenox Mall, that could be a TON of iPads.. lol

In any event, i'm happy with the Camera Connection Kit...

the Smart Cover was okay at putting to sleep and waking the iPad, but that's about it.. Once my two cases and my sleeve came in, it was good riddance to that thing...

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far still no sign of that cover issue. Guess I got one of the good ones. :)

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
So far still no sign of that cover issue. Guess I got one of the good ones. :)

Same here, I like the Smart Cover a lot. No marks (protected by Bodyguardz), no shavings and it gets opened and closed at least 30-40 times a day, and keeps the screen covered when not in use. Perfect companion to the iPad 2.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No marks or shavings here either. I'm happy with it and a skin on the back. I never used a case on my first gen iPad at all because I hated the added bulk. With the cover and skin, it adds almost no bulk, and gives a little bit of protection.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what colors did everyone get? I bought the grey poly but i might switch it for the blue poly, it seems more livley--anyone have blue? how does it look?! i haven't had a chance to visit an apple store in a long time

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy with my smart cover. A little over priced, but it does the job well. Ordered a
Black Carbon Fibre Skin Kit from a eBay seller. Hope I'll be happy with it.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the navy blue leather one, which Apple sent to me as a courtesy gift to make up for an error on their part, which was pretty neat. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, thinking that maybe I'd just take it in to an Apple Store to exchange it for something else. But now that I'm using it, it's pretty darned neat. I do like how it covers the screen and puts the iPad to sleep and that I can fold it (felt side in) for typing level, which is what I need the most. As for standing up, I'm not entirely crazy about the fact that I have to fold it felt side out to achieve this, since a part of the cover that comes into contact with the screen will come into contact with whatever surface I set it down on. Fortunately, that's only one panel of the cover, which can be easily cleaned and I'm pretty careful about what surfaces I set my gear on anyway. However, standing it up is not something I will do much because if I'm going to stand it up at home, I use the little stand I got for my iPad, which gives it many angles and is very sturdy. So the cover is more of a typing stand for me as well as a cover. I also like the way that I can fold it in half (felt side in) and swing it around to the back for holding. There is a slight bit of magnetism that kind of keeps the cover there, which is also nice.

So, for free, yeah, I can't go wrong with this Smart Cover. Now to get a suitable case or something to protect the back. I bought a cheap one off ebay for $15: http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-SMART-COVER-COMPANION-TPU-CASE-APPLE-IPAD-2-/220764882594

Just got it and am trying it out. It's black, fits very nicely, keeps the slim profile and works well with the Smart Cover, which does lay flat and shuts off the iPad. The cover loses a little bit of the magnetic hold at the leading edge but it still works for the most part (because the edge of this case slips around the bezel a little bit). The back is matte. The part of the case that wraps around and over the bezel to is glossy (not sure why). The material is smooth but adds just a touch of grip, which is nice, and the cut-outs are generous enough for the sync cable socket, rear facing camera, earphone jack, buttons, etc. This case (or "skin" or "shell") will definitely protect the iPad if dropped. It does approximate the Macally Flexitpad that I have on my old iPad 1, which is what I wanted. So far, so good. However, the ONLY issue I'm having with it is the edge of the case that goes around the bottom edge of iPad's bezel is kind of lame: it's just barely hanging on along the bottom edge. All the other sides and corners are tight and firmly in place. As a result, I find myself kind of pushing the bottom edge of the case back into place from time to time, which COULD get annoying, especially if handling the iPad from the bottom edge. I wouldn't have minded if the part that comes over the bezel was a bit wider, for a more secure fit. I'll have to write to them and see if this one I got is defective with that in regard. But overall, it's a pretty nice protector and it looks decent. They USED to have other colors but found those colors rubbed off on the Smart Cover, so they stayed with black only, which apparently doesn't have that problem. But, for $15 shipped, not bad at all.

Most reactions