What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice wanted ASAP please

OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will that be faster than tethering from my phone?

OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depending how the mini works, would it be faster if I actually got the 4g iPad with a direct sim in it?

spartan1195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was tempted to go for a mifi unit and wifi iPad but in the end decided on a 4G(3G here in the UK) Ipad. When I weighed up the cost of £80+ for the mifi unit then the PAYG credit, or £20 on contract I decided that I may as well fork out the extra £100 and use PAYG as and when I need it. I will probably only use it occasionally for work when away from wifi hotspots but it is a personal necessity. I'n not really concerened about resale value as i'll probably end up giving the iPad3 to my daughter in 12 months when the iPad 4 comes out:p

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
spartan1195 said:
I was tempted to go for a mifi unit and wifi iPad but in the end decided on a 4G(3G here in the UK) Ipad. When I weighed up the cost of £80+ for the mifi unit then the PAYG credit, or £20 on contract I decided that I may as well fork out the extra £100 and use PAYG as and when I need it. I will probably only use it occasionally for work when away from wifi hotspots but it is a personal necessity. I'n not really concerened about resale value as i'll probably end up giving the iPad3 to my daughter in 12 months when the iPad 4 comes out:p

I have had the iPad 1 and then iPad 2 so for me personally it's saved me £200 so far and if I go to the new pad it'll be £300 saving. I use a "3" network myfi which is faster than my home broadband connection.......but what works for me won't work for others. I also got the myfi on a special deal, £20 off of normal selling price and £20 of data thrown in so all in all it was a good buy for me.

The Archangel

spartan1195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You did get a good deal, i'm with 3 payg data 20 quid for 3gig/3 months which is plenty for me. I think its a personal preference dependant on your individual circumstances. For me the mifi was a reminder of the dongle i had to faf with on my laptop. My iPad will essentially now be my laptop replacement when on the road so i'd rather only have one piece of kit. Dont want to mess about lugging a 3 inch piece of plastic around as well ;)

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think if you are concerned enough to start this thread you should upgrade. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and have no option of getting it outside of paying for a brand new unit.

OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone confirm if such as mifi is quicker than tethering from my current iPhone which is on O2 ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
brunodjkj said:
Can someone confirm if such as mifi is quicker than tethering from my current iPhone which is on O2 ?

I hate to point out the obvious, but nobody knows how quick tethering is from your current iPhone on O2 ;)
If the myfi device is on O2 is will be using the "same" signal and therefore be of the "same" speed. No tethering solution I am aware of slows the device down to below the speed of the 3G signal being received.

Last edited:
OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol just realised what I'm asking, ok, I suppose the correct question should have been, is tethering from my phone slowed down because iPad and phone on same network?

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In answer to one of your questions. Right next to an O2 to mast I get 4.47Mbps download speed on my '4G new iPad'.

OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another query on the same lines, would one of those mifi dongle things be better and more useful with the fact 5 devices can be connected to it? So rather than buying my other half an iPad, she could take our net book away and connect ?

Opinions please

OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brunodjkj said:
Another query on the same lines, would one of those mifi dongle things be better and more useful with the fact 5 devices can be connected to it? So rather than buying my other half an iPad, she could take our net book away and connect ?

Opinions please

Just been looking on eBay, seems the best deals are on there, choose whether you go mifi route or go for 4g version of iPad

For us UK users mifi modems have gps built in and the sim cards on there from such as 3 network 3 gig over 3 month £13 or there is a 12 gig over 12 month £59 choose whether you buy sim for iPad or mifi dongle,

L

Lunar

Lol just realised what I'm asking, ok, I suppose the correct question should have been, is tethering from my phone slowed down because iPad and phone on same network?

I've not used the myfi device, which I believe does a similiar job as the tethering from a iPhone or any phone that supports it. I have however tried tethering my iPad3 to both my iPhone and my wifes Samsung Galaxy S2, just to see how it compared to my 3G iPad3 connection. TBH there was not that much difference, but I would say the 3G direct from the iPad seemed a touch faster, which was surprising as all our 3G devices use the same T-Mobile/Orange networks.

As I have a monthly contract on our phones, TBH I can see me using tethering more often probably, it's certainly an option anyway, if I don't want to pay PAYG charges, though to fair they are not expensive anyway certainly not for the times I need it.

OP
brunodjkj

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just been doing a bit of searching on eBay a mifi unit such as Huawei E585 however speeds get better with newer models such as E586 or E587 top end price being around £130 for the unit, it also displays how much data you have used etc.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64gb wifi model and asked Vodafone which would be cheapest, adding data to my paltry 500mb limit for my galaxy s2 or a mifi.

I decided not to go for the 3G model (calling it 4g in the uk is pointless!) as some apps will only work over wifi.

Long story short, I got the mifi that Vodafone do.

Husband went to a golf break over the weekend with my old iPad2 and took the mifi, so it's flexibility helps.

I did a speedtest and I'm getting around 2mpbs in most places, but there's a couple of spots near me with the faster speeds and I've got over 7mbps d/l. I'm lucky to get 6 on my home broadband (BT infinity is indeed an infinity away from reaching us).

Two weeks in and I'm happy so far. I don't miss the gps as the only thing i'd really use it for is sat nav and my phone is good enough for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts