What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About hacking issues

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another feature no longer needing to jailbreak to have.
ABOUT TIME Apple started putting in features that are useful and jailbreakers want.

Instead of them fighting jailbreakers they should add the features they want then there will be no need to jailbreak.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple is not in a war against jail breakers. If they were, you would know it...

Apple will plug the security holes in iOS. The side affect will be the inability to jailbreak, but the number of jail broken devices is not on their radar.

-t

Papayafields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but their attempts to make jailbreaking illegal say otherwise. Or did everyone forget that side of apple?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
N

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but their attempts to make jailbreaking illegal say otherwise. Or did everyone forget that side of apple?

EXACTLY!
Apple HAVE been having a fight against jailbreakers since the iPhone was first jailbroken all those years ago.
jailbreaking your iphone has given you the freedom the phone should have from the start. Jailbreakers have done more for the iphone than apple have.
Look at the first iphone 2G and what the jailbreakers could get it to do. Then look at all the updates from Apple. All they are, are bug fixes and jailbreak apps included. Jailbreakers were the first to get the iPhone to send MMS. They are also the first to get the iPad to send SMS/MMS so it can do these things but Apple for some stupid reason refuse to let it do it.

As long as Apple lock it up so tight there will always be a need to jailbreak it and Apple will try to lock it up even tighter to stop jailbreaking it.

Wait till iOS5 come out and see how tight they lock it up and how jailbreak UNfriendly it is.

Papayafields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats the thing about apple. They are very controlling with their products. Apple wants everyone to have the same product, getting apps only from them, and using only their programs and services to put things on your device. Anything that strays away from this is a problem and must be fixed. Which is not even the worse part. The worse is when apple users become so content in that little bubble that they attack anyone that criticizes it.

This is why apple and jailbreakers will never coexist. Jailbreakers want freedom to make the most out of their device. Apple wants you to be a good boy/girl and enjoy your device as is when they give it to you because you only need what almighty apple put on the device to be happy.

samion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are more people who detest Apple than there are fanboys and I was one of them. After I an iPhone for my birthday though I fell in love with their products and now much as I still dislike them as a company I have bought a more up-to-date iPhone and am even considering an iPad.

So why is an apple-sceptic now buying Apple devices? One reason and one reason only:

A jailbroken iPhone is a phenomenal device. Expensive, but just incredible.

BUT and this is a big BUT... an un-jailbroken Apple device is quite frankly a piece of junk. Expensive, sexy and well made junk, but nevertheless junk. Unusable, impractical, overly controlled suffocated junk. The few times I've had the misfortune of having to use my iPhone (2G, 3G or 3GS and on a variety of OSs) without a jailbreak has taught me that was it not for jailbreak - no matter what the OS - I'd steer WELL clear of anything Apple.

JB Apple device > Android device >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> un-JB Apple device

It is a fact that a significant proportion of Apple customers only go Apple because of this option. Bigger userbase means more interest by App developers. More developers means more Apps. More apps (combined with awesome but expensive hardware) makes Apple the best so far.

The moment Apple wins their open war against jailbreaking is the moment Apple will have made the biggest mistake in their history. Customers (like me) will leave in droves as we're just waiting poised for the moment that the Android app market out-does the Apple app market.

Apple don't know how lucky they are that they haven't been able to beat JB yet.

No number of tweaks in the OS will EVER stop JBing from happening as they will never ever be able to supply ALL the functions a JB device can do.

OP
N

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are more people who detest Apple than there are fanboys and I was one of them. After I an iPhone for my birthday though I fell in love with their products and now much as I still dislike them as a company I have bought a more up-to-date iPhone and am even considering an iPad.

So why is an apple-sceptic now buying Apple devices? One reason and one reason only:

A jailbroken iPhone is a phenomenal device. Expensive, but just incredible.

BUT and this is a big BUT... an un-jailbroken Apple device is quite frankly a piece of junk. Expensive, sexy and well made junk, but nevertheless junk. Unusable, impractical, overly controlled suffocated junk. The few times I've had the misfortune of having to use my iPhone (2G, 3G or 3GS and on a variety of OSs) without a jailbreak has taught me that was it not for jailbreak - no matter what the OS - I'd steer WELL clear of anything Apple.

JB Apple device > Android device >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> un-JB Apple device

It is a fact that a significant proportion of Apple customers only go Apple because of this option. Bigger userbase means more interest by App developers. More developers means more Apps. More apps (combined with awesome but expensive hardware) makes Apple the best so far.

The moment Apple wins their open war against jailbreaking is the moment Apple will have made the biggest mistake in their history. Customers (like me) will leave in droves as we're just waiting poised for the moment that the Android app market out-does the Apple app market.

Apple don't know how lucky they are that they haven't been able to beat JB yet.

No number of tweaks in the OS will EVER stop JBing from happening as they will never ever be able to supply ALL the functions a JB device can do.

VERY well said.
I got my first iPhone 2G before it was even available in Aus. Well it was never available here. Then as iOS upgraded, the quality of the device downgraded. It got so slow I had to upgrade to a 3G. And recently when the iOS went past the limitations of the 3G I again had to upgrade to a iPhone4.
I have paid for a few apps thats why I'm sticking with the iPhone. BUT if I paid for none I would've gone to an Android device straight away. EVERYONE that I know who had an iPhone and switched to Android will NEVER go back as its such a locked up device. Yea, it does look good and it works well when the OS lets it but when its not jailbreaked its worse than the cheap $50 phone. At least the $50 phone can connect via bluetooth and send MMS where the iPhone 2G couldn't do anything like that unless you jailbreak it.

I do own a iPad. It's also a great device when you jailbreak. If you do a chart of reasons to jailbreak and not there are so many more reasons to jailbreak.
I for one wont upgrade unless there is a jailbreak available for it.
I did have dev access and tried iOS5 on the iPad. It will be great when its jailbreakable. It's getting more jailbreak features but still not enough to not have it jailbroken.
A few jailbreak features that I have on the iPad. SMS/MMS, Speech recoginition, No lock screen, SSH Access. Those are features ONLY available via jailbreaking. If Apple put those features into the iOS then I might think about not jailbreaking... Think about it... but thats after I already jailbreaked it.

APPLE, WE ARE CUSTOMERS NOT CLONES. When will you realise this and give us the devices WE want?

OP
N

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, it wont let me edit my post...
I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I'm a jailbreak fanboy.
If it wasn't for jailbreaking the iPhone it would've died off before the iPhone 4 came out.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NakedFaerie said:
Oh, it wont let me edit my post...
I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I'm a jailbreak fanboy.
If it wasn't for jailbreaking the iPhone it would've died off before the iPhone 4 came out.

The news forum has the editing function disabled.

The Archangel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, but you guys are not living in the real world.

The number of jailbroken phones is less than 1/2 of 1 percent of all iPhone sold. That number is not interesting to Apple or anyone else.

The reason that Apple wants to plug security holes in iOS is about, hello, security. Not whether or not you can jailbreak and run your favorite hack-of-the-month.

There are some application developers who believe that pirated applications and jail breaking go hand in hand - since all pirates are jailbreakers..... and want Apple to plug the hole for their loss in revenue, but frankly Apple has not done anything to address this in the last three years. It's just not something they care about.

If Apple - with their literally billions of dollars in cash in the bank - was really in a war against jailbreaking, you guys would have been shut down long ago.

iOS 5 gives Apple the ability to OTA patch iOS with small patches to close any security hole that comes along. They do not have to ask your permission.

If you connect to iTunes or iCloud, you will likely need to be running iIO 5 "clean" very soon, and so we will see the end to jail breaking - but only because Apple will keep iOS devices secure.

Their "control freak nature" is really about controlling the experience for the masses - not for the small fraction of the user community who want to run their own software hacks. They control the environment because it means long battery life, predictable application behavior and a support model that lets them train "geniuses" to support literally everyone who walks in the door at any Apple store worldwide.

When you are supporting as many devices as Apple has to support, minimizing variation is the key to keeping support costs low.

Apple has it figured out - at least up till now - and I suspect will continue to dominate over the next 5 or more years; which is a lifetime in this business.

Those of you who have to run the hack-of-the-month will move to Android. OK. Bye bye... Apple will not miss you. They will sign up several million more new users before iOS 5 even ships... and likely 15-20 million more before Christmas...

-t

Papayafields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Their billions of dollars got them denied on a US court while trying to make iphone jailbreaking illegal...

Like that guy said a few posts ago. Apple might be a shady, controlling company. But once you jailbreak and remove those restrictions, there is no denying that NOTHING beats an apple device.

OP
N

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Their billions of dollars got them denied on a US court while trying to make iphone jailbreaking illegal...

Like that guy said a few posts ago. Apple might be a shady, controlling company. But once you jailbreak and remove those restrictions, there is no denying that NOTHING beats an apple device.

Exactly. There are more jailbreakers than you think. Last time a unteathered jailbreak came out there were 1 million downloads in the first week.

@thewitt: There are also IOS updates that only block the jailbreak so XXXXXXX are you thinking when you say Apple arn't bothered with jailbreakers?
They have been having a war against jailbreaking since it started. They hate any competition and want to destroy all who go against them. Look at the ebook stores. Apple just banned all ebook apps with built in stores. Kindle, Kobo, Amazon all had in-app stores and because Apple had a huge cry and don't want competition they all had to remove their in-app stores.

Apple waste a lot of money trying to block jailbreaks. If they actually realised jailbreaking IS the reason why they sold so many iPhones and if they do completely block jailbreaking they will loose a lot of customers. I for one will NEVER upgrade if I can not jailbreak. If it ever does get blocked thats the day I get an Android.

Look at what Apple did with the Galaxy Tab. They put a lot of money to get it banned and why? Its their competition. Instead of making the iPad better they sue others and try to destroy them so they have no competition.
Not a friendly way to get customers but thats Apple for you. They are rude and don't care about others just like their fanboys.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, but we simply don't see the percentage of jailbreakers that the guys running jailbreak sites and announcing the download numbers see.

For our customer base it's less than 1/4 of 1 percent. The other developers that I talk to who track the same numbers see similar statistics. Apple's inside numbers appear to show very similar trends.

It's just not that large a community to impact sales of the device.

-t

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok every one was a news post about app update changes and now off topic as you have chosen to discuss other issues not related to the news story.
I have move it here where it belongs Also please be nice and thank you thewitt for the statement you are correct.

Guys please read our rules before you post

Most reactions