What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2.1 Untethered Jailbreak Released!

sdf34sdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is jailbroken on 4.2.1 and I absolutely love it. And actually, with the "free memory" option, I didn't even restart my iPad since I jailbroke. So for me there's no rush to get an untethered jb :)

Same here. It runs perfect since it was jailbroken on 4.2.1. First I was a bit of affraid because of the restart because I do not always carry a computer with me but I think I restarted it three or four times in t he last couple of month so why worry. I'll stick with the tethered one instead of using a pre-beta redsnow that breaks more than it helps.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here. It runs perfect since it was jailbroken on 4.2.1. First I was a bit of affraid because of the restart because I do not always carry a computer with me but I think I restarted it three or four times in t he last couple of month so why worry. I'll stick with the tethered one instead of using a pre-beta redsnow that breaks more than it helps.

+1 for tethered!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So...does jailbreakme.com work on the ipad wifi only, running 4.2.1?

Last edited:

domsdabomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do we know when Cydia is updating his stuff to 4.2? I'm glad i'm jailbroken, it works fine, except there is only a few things that can be done with the newest OS. I've got backgrounder and a couple of the others, but I'm excited for more!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do we know when Cydia is updating his stuff to 4.2? I'm glad i'm jailbroken, it works fine, except there is only a few things that can be done with the newest OS. I've got backgrounder and a couple of the others, but I'm excited for more!

First off, Cydia is just a front end. A "store" if you will. Saurik (who provides Cydia) has absolutely no control over whether the developers choose to update their applications to 4.2.1, or any other version for that matter.

Also, I am not aware of that much (in terms of Cydia applications) which are not now updated to 4.2.1. Can you list the ones you are waiting for?
MakeItMine is just about the only one which annoys me by being absent, and whilst Winterboard works fine there is not full 4.2.1 themeing support yet...
I have about 30 or so apps and tweaks installed via Cydia and all are 4.2.1 compatible. Just interested to know if there are lots of things outstanding which I am not aware of...

sh0nuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried doing the tethered JB and after running Cydia the first time, it updated and then rebooted. I could never get it to reboot properly even booting it tethered so I just restored back to standard 4.2.1. Do I just reboot in redsn0w? I was worried about not being able to restore from iTunes, cuz iPhones broken in this method can only be restored from custom IPSWs after this initial break.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried doing the tethered JB and after running Cydia the first time, it updated and then rebooted. I could never get it to reboot properly even booting it tethered so I just restored back to standard 4.2.1. Do I just reboot in redsn0w? I was worried about not being able to restore from iTunes, cuz iPhones broken in this method can only be restored from custom IPSWs after this initial break.

No, you're making a couple of mistakes there...

First, to boot tethered. You connect your iPad to your PC. Run redsn0w and select your IPSW file EXACTLY as you did when you jailbroke. However, you select the check box which says "just boot tethered for now". Then you need to follow the instruction about going into DFU mode. Don't worry about the fact you cannot switch the off off when it is stuck at the apple logo. Just follow the 3 step button press sequence when instructed to do so, and it will still go into DFU mode. Then you iPad will boot with the pineapple logo instead of the apple logo and you will be jailbroken again. You only need to do this when you reboot. A respiring will work just fine. Also note that once you have installed the basic packages there is RARELY any need to reboot your iPad, so you should not notice being tethered as much of a pain. Just keep it charged up!

Secondly, you have picked up some misinformation about custom firmware. What you are doing on your iPad DOES NOT need a custom IPSW file for restoring. You are confusing this jailbreak with the pwnage tool jailbreak for iPhone which uses the iPad baseband. Once you install the iPad baseband (for unlocking) on an iPhone then you have no option at the moment but to use a custom firmware every time you restore. You DO NOT have to do this for the iPad. You can restore the stock firmware any time you like.

Hope that helps.

sh0nuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I understood the retethered reboot. For some reason I got confused when I actually did it, and it scared me off (using an iPad that was 3 hours old! :) )

And good to knwo that I can still restore..

btw, did you guys peep this?

Greenp0ison is going to be untethered after all!! (and wont need blobs for the iPhone! which natch arent needed for the iPad anyways)

GreenPois0n Jailbreak Is Untethered For iOS 4.2.1 Upon Release, No 4.2 Beta 3 SHSH Blobs Needed | Startup Meme - The Unofficial Web Guide

sdf34sdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MakeItMine is just about the only one which annoys me by being absent...

try using FakeOperator
It works fine for me on 4.2.1
You don't get an extra icon, it's controlled via the settings menu

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MakeItMine is just about the only one which annoys me by being absent...

try using FakeOperator
It works fine for me on 4.2.1
You don't get an extra icon, it's controlled via the settings menu

Yeah, that works fine, just a shame it doesn't change the "iPad" text when you just have wifi on and no radio...

thegame_45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I have been looking for a board like this, and I came upon it because I was looking for a stylus.

I have iPhone and iPads, and I have been jailbreaking my stuff when I get it, but I don't update too much, because it's a pain the butt to restore all my apps, and stuff I got from Cydia. Is there an easier way, or an app to make this easier, because I would like my jailbreak to be untethered, but it's not a big deal in the same way either.

sh0nuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Btw, thanx to f4780y who prompted me to try jailbreaking again.., it was seamless this time around, so glad to have it all customized again! :)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clickclickw00t said:
I AM SO GLAD TO BE ABLE TO TELL YOU GUYS THE GOOD NEWS.

Looks like the untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak for iPad has been released:
Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Untethered iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch with Redsn0w 0.9.7 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

As from what I've read, it is only in "beta". I have not tried it yet. Anybody want to give it a whirl.

Says you need SHSH blobs from 4.2b3

I was resisting upgrading until the jailbreak came out because I wanted my rotation lock switch more than I wanted folders and multitasking and understand there is a way co correct Steve's mistake with a Cydia app
With the new beta iOS it looks like Steve has come to his senses and is giving users the choice
But in case that doesn't make it into the final release, what is the difference between a tethered and an unteathered jailbreak

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was resisting upgrading until the jailbreak came out because I wanted my rotation lock switch more than I wanted folders and multitasking and understand there is a way co correct Steve's mistake with a Cydia app
With the new beta iOS it looks like Steve has come to his senses and is giving users the choice
But in case that doesn't make it into the final release, what is the difference between a tethered and an unteathered jailbreak

Tethered means that EVERY TIME you need to reboot your iPad you must connect it to a PC and use redsn0w to reboot it (there is an option on redsn0w which says "just boot tethered right now"). Otherwise you get stuck at the Apple logo.
In practice this is not usually a big deal unless you regularly get caught short away from home and let your iPad run out of juice.

Untethered means that once your iPad is jailbroken it remains so until you choose to either update or restore the firmware to a new version. You can reboot as often as you like.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts