What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ios 4.2.1 Jailbreak hits the shore..

young blade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:D Its on!!!

The Dev-Team Blog was just updated with a new redsn0w version 0.9.6b4 jailbreak (based on Geohot's Limera1n bootrom exploit) for iOS 4.2.1. Unfortunately, iOS device owners won't find jailbreaking as easy as navigating to a website. And the 4.2.1 jailbreak is currently "tethered" so owners of the iPhone 4, iPad, and newer iPhone 3GS and iPod touch models will have to reattach to a PC or Mac to boot into a jailbroken state each time your device loses power or needs a reboot. Those of you who rely on the ultrasn0w unlock should hold off for now -- good advice for anyone not comfortable with terms like "SHSH blobs" or "Cydia." Everyone else can hit up the link below with a detailed how-to provided by Redmond Pie.

According to the following news link on engadget..

iOS 4.2.1 Jailbreak hits with updated redsn0w -- Engadget

And of course the link to the devs website:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1652053923/thanksgiving-with-apple

!!!!

Last edited:

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tethered :(

oh well! one step closer.

i think apple will soon release 4.2.2 though. fix some bugs, for one the mute lock doesn't fully work.

Mattcity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi can some one please explain how "tethered" works on the ipad. is it everytime you turn on or just when you respring??

thanks

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and updated late last night. Lmao. Im now on 4.2.1. ;-). Ill test out after work. Glad to hear jailbreak coming along for it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi can some one please explain how "tethered" works on the ipad. is it everytime you turn on or just when you respring??

thanks

Tethered means the every time the iPad is rebooted it must be done through redsn0w to maintain a working jailbreak.

A respring and normal lock / unlock of the device is fine and the jailbreak is preserved as you would expect.

In practice this means that you will probably have to use redsn0w half a dozen times to get the core jailbreak applications loaded, since items like Cydia upgrade, sbsettings, winterboard, etc. often need to do a full reboot of the device (depending on the order you install them in).
After the initial load of all your Cydia apps is done (for me during the first evening!), the times you have to actually do a full reboot are few and far between.
A little bit of care and concentration helps in keeping the iPad powered up all the time and therefore jailbroken...
A good tip is not to install anything too significant in terms of the core OS when away from a desktop with redsn0w installed... But you can quite happily install most (4.2 compatible!) Cydia apps, themes, etc. when out and about without worry.

IT IS ALSO WORTH NOTING, once you have mobile substrate installed then the iPad will not boot successfully into a non-jailbroken state. It will hang and you MUST do a tethered redsn0w boot. This is where people can get caught out and get really annoyed with tethering!

Last edited:

Daineath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did mine last night every thing works great.

Once you get the core JB stuff installed [about 3 reboot] its great. After that you just need to be carefull where you are when you update via cydia.

Last edited:

twikoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
did mine yesterday.. a few small hurdles along the way (didnt realize i had to run redsnow in xp mode).. but everything seems to be good now
got everything set back the way i want, not to play with new features

just wish i had paid more attention to the need to backup my JB apps so I could restore afterwards.. got all my other apps back, but had to readd my JB ones.. no big deal, gave me a chance to clean up some.

tethered doesnt seem like a big deal on the pad, since there really is almost no need to reboot it and i never let the battery go all the way down..
but last night as I was readding my jb apps, it did get annoying, since a bunch need to reboot the device not just respring.

Mattcity

iPF Noob
Reaction score

thanks

Tethered means the every time the iPad is rebooted it must be done through redsn0w to maintain a working jailbreak.

A respring and normal lock / unlock of the device is fine and the jailbreak is preserved as you would expect.

In practice this means that you will probably have to use redsn0w half a dozen times to get the core jailbreak applications loaded, since items like Cydia upgrade, sbsettings, winterboard, etc. often need to do a full reboot of the device (depending on the order you install them in).
After the initial load of all your Cydia apps is done (for me during the first evening!), the times you have to actually do a full reboot are few and far between.
A little bit of care and concentration helps in keeping the iPad powered up all the time and therefore jailbroken...
A good tip is not to install anything too significant in terms of the core OS when away from a desktop with redsn0w installed... But you can quite happily install most (4.2 compatible!) Cydia apps, themes, etc. when out and about without worry.

IT IS ALSO WORTH NOTING, once you have mobile substrate installed then the iPad will not boot successfully into a non-jailbroken state. It will hang and you MUST do a tethered redsn0w boot. This is where people can get caught out and get really annoyed with tethering!

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to explain! now best i have a go at backing up, upgrading and re hacking! joy!

Matt

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure is, just make sure you read up on it being a tethered JB and why that's important to make sure it is the right thing for you Marie...

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to wait to JB my iPad now, as I do not want to do it by tethering. I used Limera1n on my iPhone 4, and it was, and still is a perfect JB experience.

Most reactions

Latest posts