What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Dead Pixels : /

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just realized that my new iPad has 3 dead pixels....one is black and the other two seem to be green. ....blah

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Take it back and exchange for another one.

OP
Daylife

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mini_mi said:
Sorry to hear that. Take it back and exchange for another one.

I'll be taking it back tomorrow.... I really don't want to though lol. I find it dumb that it's just 3 tiny dots but now that I found them I can't stop Staring at them lol.

OP
Daylife

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scaramonga said:
No picture needed lol, we all surely know what dead pixels look like, honestly, lol?

I would post a pic, but they are sooooo small...

L

Lunar

Well I just realized that my new iPad has 3 dead pixels....one is black and the other two seem to be green. ....blah

Sorry to hear the bad news, it sounds like one dead pixel and 2 stuck pixels.. hence the 2 green ones, they can stick on any colour, I had one on my last DSLR camera which was a very bright pink.. it looked like someone was shining a tiny torch at me.. Dead pixels are always black,, and probably preferable than a stuck pixel especially if they are bright as they can really stand out... Take it back and get it replaced if you haven't already done so.

AAMOI... were these faulty pixels on new when you first got the iPad ? or did they appear a few days later ? IME most bad pixels are present when new, and generally if you can get through the 1st week without any showing up.. the chances of getting one or more later is greatly reduced, though they can fail at any time of course, it just rarely happens later, and if it does then obviously we have to live with them, but it certainly would not be acceptable when new... not for me anyway.

Let us know how you get on.. they should change it without any question.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scaramonga said:
No picture needed lol, we all surely know what dead pixels look like, honestly, lol?

I don't. That's why I requested a picture. How do you know if you have them?

OP
Daylife

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
I don't. That's why I requested a picture. How do you know if you have them?

It's pretty much a little tiny dot on the screen that does my go away.... You can either them them with an all black screen or all white.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Daylife said:
It's pretty much a little tiny dot on the screen that does my go away.... You can either them them with an all black screen or all white.

Thank you... I'm going to look to see if our new iPads have them

L

Lunar

Thank you... I'm going to look to see if our new iPads have them

It's likely if you can't see nothing wrong.. you don't have any... ;-)

The iPads screen is made up of over 3 million tiny pixels (2080x1536 of them) if it's a solitary dead pixel it will appear on a white screen as a tiny black dot, and would just about be visible, (may need a magnifying glass..lol) but in any case you would really have to look closely. Pixels that get stuck 'on' can be more troublesome depending on the level they are stuck on at..ie. if they happen to be stuck at maximum brightness and are a light colour they can show up quite easily, and are more annoying of the 2 types. For example it it was stuck on a blue colour then the only time you may not notice it is on a blue screen.
However with the resolution of the iPad being so high they will be really tiny, though sometimes you can get a cluster of them together having the effect of making the dot you see appear slightly larger and more clearly visible, and as stated they are always in the same place of course.

Bad pixels have been the subject of some controversey since they first started manufacturing LCD panels, indeed at one time you would be very fortunate to buy a lcd monitor or TV without it having one or more bad pixels, so to prevent lots of returned products, manufacturers stated in the specifications that their monitors were in specification if it had say less than 5 or 10 bad pixels, and dealers would not change them unless that number was exceeded, the tolerance number varied between the brands, and prices paid.

Their argument was.. that to manufacture and guarantee every panel to be 100% perfect would not be financially viable, as it would result in too many panels being scrapped making the price of the panels too expensive, so that the public wouldn't be able to afford the higher prices they would need to charge... in effect killing the whole of the industry.

These days things have improved a lot, we still get bad pixels on monitors and TV's or any item that uses LCD panels, but they certainly don't occur so frequently. I bought my current Dell 27" monitor because Dell have a policy on their topend monitors of having zero bad pixels, IOW if your new monitor has even 1 bad pixel they will replace it without any hassle.
Some other companies are less obliging... thankfully IME Apple is not one of them... not when the Apple item is brand new anyway.

TBH if one gets a bad pixel appear after a few weeks or months of use then it's a case of living with it.. it's not a disaster, and after a time you learn to ignore it, assuming you can see it in the first place..lol but I won't tolerate bad pixels when a item is brand new, especially if it's expensive, thankfully most retailers are a little more inclined to replace when new than they used to do.
There's nothing worse that seeing a bright pink or blue dot smack in the centre of your screen, but there were some that would'nt change it for you, without a lot of grief.

I bought a Canon 60D DSLR last year which had a stuck pixel just off centre on its 3inch lcd, and ended up sending it back to Amazon, imagine how that looked on my new toy which had just cost me almost £1000, but some dealers may have said that it was acceptable... well sorry..but not for me it isn't.. Which is why I bought it from Amazon just to get their easy no quible return option.

Slowly however, manufacturing processes have improved so much that bad pixels are rare, they still occur, but far less frequently.

The OP should take it back and get it replaced while he can.

This book by Lunar is available at all good book stores priced 99p...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What a bummer. I know taking it back and setting up a new one can be a real pain but IPads are expensive and you deserve a flawless tablet, kwim?

Seems a few people are having this issue. Maybe a bad QC batch?

Most reactions

Latest posts