What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will my original iPad unlimited AT&T data plan be grandfathered to the iPad 3?

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still rocking the original iPad 3G 64gb w/ unlimited AT&T data plan :thumbs: :D

I do know they grandfathered those who moved to the iPad 2 last year. But how will it be for the iPad 3? Does anybody have any scoop yet?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Best advice is to call AT&T customer service and find out. I don't see why they wouldn't, what with the recent press Ma Bell has received over throttling unlimited cell phone data users, but stranger things have happened in the Mobile world lately.

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man so do I....just pre-ordered the new iPad today!.....especially if I can use the new one as a "Hotspot" as was described at the roll-out today!!!!!!

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I talked to the AT&T store yesterday and they said that if I bought a new iPad to bring it down to them and they would help me with the transition of my current plan to the new unit.

OP
zman

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacRumors is reporting that the few of us that still have the original AT&T unlimited plan will be able to keep it. Check out the story here:

iPad Owners With Original Unlimited Data Plan Get Unlimited, Unthrottled 4G - Mac Rumors

I sure hope they are right. I still want to try to confirm it directly with AT&T before I order my new iPad. That will be my top priority tomorrow.

I talked to the AT&T store yesterday and they said that if I bought a new iPad to bring it down to them and they would help me with the transition of my current plan to the new unit.

Yay! Sounds good :eek: If AT&T wasn't going to grandfather my unlimited data, I was switching to Verizon's iPad because of the faster 4G here.

Please report back if you have done "the switch* already (possibly next weekend) :thumbs:

jmkiska

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacRumors is reporting that the few of us that still have the original AT&T unlimited plan will be able to keep it. Check out the story here:

iPad Owners With Original Unlimited Data Plan Get Unlimited, Unthrottled 4G - Mac Rumors

I sure hope they are right. I still want to try to confirm it directly with AT&T before I order my new iPad. That will be my top priority tomorrow.

I spoke directly with AT&T iPad Customer Support and they confirmed that I will be able to transfer the original unlimited plan to the new iPad. He said I could do it directly on the device itself when I first start it up or by logging in to my account at www.att.com/ipadlanding.

That seals the deal for me. Off to order my new iPad. :)

OP
zman

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's that time folks! :eek:

Please post here IF you have successfully transferred your unlimited AT&T Data Plan (grandfathered) from your original iPad to the 3rd gen iPad. Also, how is the 4G speed compared to 3G (if available)?

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone actually made the unlimited data plan tranfer to their New iPad today? If so, what did you do?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just moved my plan to my new iPad and it couldn't have been simpler. Go to Settings/Cellular Data/View Account. You get a box that includes existing account? follow the instructions and you should have no problem. If you do not have your account password, you will need to go to an AT&T store.

OP
zman

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just moved my plan to my new iPad and it couldn't have been simpler. Go to Settings/Cellular Data/View Account. You get a box that includes existing account? follow the instructions and you should have no problem.

There's one :) Thanks Seadog! Anybody else?

How's the 4G, that is if you have it in your area?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was shocked to find download tested at almost 19Mbps and uploads at 16 Mbps (or vise versa, I get confused) Even with my HS DSL, I do not see that type of speeds. Usually 3G upload is at 1-2 Mbps. Downloads on 3G topped at 13-14 Mbps.

Most reactions

Latest posts