Here is how to transfer your Unlimited ATT data plan to your new 4G iPad

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by MikesTooLz, Mar 15, 2012.

1. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I just transferred mine.

go into settings like the screenshot above and select that you have an existing account.
    Sign into your account and it will pull up a list of available plans for the new iPad and unlimited for $29 is an option since you are grandfathered in.

I took of screenshot of the list of plans and it allowing you to select unlimited, ill post it once i get a chance.

PS. it looks like there is no LTE in my area (Miami,Florida). It says its connected to 4G(not LTE) network but I'm getting speeds of less then 3mbps

#11 MikesTooLz, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    What about Verizon? I have an unlimited data plan on Verizon and my iPhone is on that. Can I put my 4G iPad3 on there (verizon version)?

Sorry for the thread break....

3. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Phone plans do not transfer to iPads on either carrier, this is only moving iPad account to new iPad.

4. segerd

segerd
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Used these instructions and it worked!

5. sunking

sunking
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Had no issues in transferring my unlimited AT&T data plan from my iPad1 to my iPad3. Signed on when prompted and selected the unlimited plan. Took a minute or two to move over to the ipad3 and then I was in business. They sure do make this stuff easy!

6. mossfur

mossfur
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    just got to ask,i had a few weeks left on my Ipad 2 3g plan,can those weeks be transfered to my new Ipad when i get it? also what are the particulars on the unlimited plan? thank you folks

[Moderator edit: Edited post for readability.]

#16 mossfur, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  7. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, mossfur, the unlimited plan is only for those that got grandfathered into it (it was available at the very beginning days of the iPad, but the carriers stopped it in the early summer of 2011). You can't get it any longer.

As far as moving your current plan over, I really don't see why you can't follow the same steps here. To be safe, however, I'd check with your carrier - they would be the ones that would know for sure (cause I've been known to be wrong in my assumptions before! :D). It may be that you'll have to cancel the plan on the old and re-start it on the new...

Marilyn

8. pianoman

pianoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget, everyone, that "unlimited" is a misleading term. AT&T says in their contract that after a certain amount of GB of usage on the unlimited plans they have the right to 'throttle' your speed way down in a given month. Resets next month. You guys will likely be using a lot more data with 4G. So be wary - unlimited isn't truly unlimited with AT&T. Several have found out the hard way.

Also note that full 4G (LTE) is only available in very few major cities. Not very widespread yet from what I've read. The 4G readout icon in the upper left of the status bar is simply an indicator of a broadband signal as opposed to "edge" - and isn't a verification of being actually on 4G speeds. It could be 3G even when it reads 4G. That's a frustrating implementation to me. Just like it shows you "edge" service if that's all that's available - that icon should switch between 3G and 4G to show you your service speed in a given area. Can anyone verify this behavior? Have you ever seen it read 3G instead of 4G (or LTE)?

#18 pianoman, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  9. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    currently they are not throttling the LTE iPad plans, however that does not mean they couldn't start doing it at any time.

10. pianoman

pianoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not sure where you read that - but I assure you if you overuse any connection speed on an unlimited plan you run the risk of being throttled.