What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here is how to transfer your Unlimited ATT data plan to your new 4G iPad

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tranferred my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan from my iPad 1 to my New iPad (3rd Gen). I went through the 1-800-331-0500 number and asked for the section which manages iPad Unlimited Data Plan transfers from old to new iPads. I was transferred (no waiting) and talked to a knowledgeable rep who walked me through the process.

Process with AT&T Rep is as follows:

1. Rep verified my old iPad information using my old iPad Cellular Number, email address, and name.
2. Directed I power down (turn completely off) my old iPad.
3. Turn on new iPad and turn off WiFi.
4. On new iPad goto Settings - Cellular Data - View Account and Log-in.
5. After log-in is a new screen with Data Plans -- ensure "Unlimited Plan" for $29.95 is checked (it should be already) -- Then press "Next" on that screen.
6. Terms and Conditions Screen -- "Agree".
7. Screen comes up indicating AT&T is updating plan.
8. Wait till that screen goes away.
9. Power Down (turn off) New iPad completely -- wait ten seconds -- restart to Apple icon on screen and let iPad reboot.
10. Upper Left screen indicates AT&T Network acquired (signal bars present) -- 4G or LTE if within range of 4G.
11. Check that you can connect with websites through Safari Browser -- Yes.
12. Back to Settings -- General -- About Screen.
13. Confirm with rep that IMEI and ICCID on iPad matches what just updated in their system.

That's it! Five Minutes and transfer complete. According to other posters this process can all be done without a customer rep. However, the rep can see what's happening in their system and confirm everything transferred correctly and that service continuity is maintained. In the unlikely event a problem occurs they can help sort it out immediately.

Last edited:

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are starting to get off topic of transferring the data plan to the new iPad.

ATT has not come out and said that they will be throttling the iPad plans however they did come out with a press announcement saying that 3G phone plans will now start throttling at 3GB and LTE phone plans will throttle at 5GB. So according to the phone plans LTE plans will give you more bandwidth before getting throttled.
There ya go! In writing. That's why my friends were throttled at 5GB.

And KayKay.. You can't stream movies "well" at 3G. Certainly not HD.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think you misread Mike's post. As discussed before, AT&T's announcement about throttling was about phones. If they've sent one about iPad, I've not received one, and I've had their 3G plan since the launch day of iPad 1 3G.

I can't speak to your experiences with streaming movies, but I've had only occasional probs streaming movies via 3G. That can vary with location, of course. As for HD movies, I don't care about them. If I did, I wouldn't watch them on an iPad.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you misread Mike's post. As discussed before, AT&T's announcement about throttling was about phones. If they've sent one about iPad, I've not received one, and I've had their 3G plan since the launch day of iPad 1 3G
Interesting. I'm puzzled. Throttling of iPad plans is definitely happening, KayKay. I guess you're just never hitting the cap. It's easy enough to check in your General Settings-> About window and look at your usage. Do you reset that monthly to track your usage?
I can't speak to your experiences with streaming movies, but I've had only occasional probs streaming movies via 3G. That can vary with location, of course. As for HD movies, I don't care about them. If I did, I wouldn't watch them on an iPad.
HD movies on iPad 3 is supposed to be breathtaking. People will indeed lean on that with the 3's in LTE areas. I'm just sayin' watch your usage. Being throttled is no fun!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm puzzled. Throttling of iPad plans is definitely happening, KayKay. I guess you're just never hitting the cap. It's easy enough to check in your General Settings-> About window and look at your usage. Do you reset that monthly to track your usage?HD movies on iPad 3 is supposed to be breathtaking. People will indeed lean on that with the 3's in LTE areas. I'm just sayin' watch your usage. Being throttled is no fun!

Lol, of course I know how to check my usage, but thanks anyway. I reset every time I get my monthly billing confirmation email from AT&T.

I'm using my unlimited as I want to. If I get throttled, then I do. There's no point curtailing my use on my own. In case of throttling, I have a spare SIM that I can always pop in and use to buy fresh unthrottled data for the rest of the month.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pianoman said:

I don't think I've ever been under 5g/month unless I'm out of the country for the whole month.
Stream 1-2 episodes of Stargate SG1 each day 5 days a week among other things on 3G.
Not throttled.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
paul65k said:
I moved from my iPad1 with 3G to the new iPad with 4G and the speed difference is AMAZING.......my iPad is now about 4X the speed of the 3G (12 Mbps vs 3Mbps) and now it's about 3X faster to use the 4G than my home Internet via WiFi (crappy cable through Cox).........now if only AT&T would come up with a hotspot option for their version I'd use this for everything.............oh yeah I forgot to mention I am "Grandfathered" on the unlimited plan I signed up for when I got my first unit (launch day in 2010).

Cheers!

To be honest I really don't need the speeds. With AT&T grandpa unlimited I always get 3Mbps/400Kbps on my iPad and it works fine for streaming hulu,vudu,slingplayer,Bloomberg TV,etc.. I've got the same dl/ul speeds on my cox hsi essentials.
I have the docsis3 modem too. Slingplayer streams very well remotely when out of the country.
Don't make sense for me to get anything faster if I can already do everything I need with essentials for $26/mo..
I don't even own a tv. I stream my basic cable with Slingplayer.
My neighbor gave me access to her wifi. It's Cox business with 60Mbps/ 5Mbps and I rarely bother to use it.

The only reason I can think of to need those high speeds in the home is gaming and a house full of people streaming.
On the iPad I'm not really sure other than downloading I guess. If I had to download a movie I just start before I go to bed and it's done by the time I get up.

mossfur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:thumbs:Yes it works,you can transfer your 3G account from your old i pad to the 3,like the man said go to settings,cellular account, and so on,this for the monthly plans.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, of course I know how to check my usage, but thanks anyway. I reset every time I get my monthly billing confirmation email from AT&T.

I do that too. It would be cool though if Apple added an auto reset date there (user provided date) and a running history.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am right to assume that having a grandfathered unlimited on your iPhone does NOT allow for unlimited on iPad. Right?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pianoman said:
I am right to assume that having a grandfathered unlimited on your iPhone does NOT allow for unlimited on iPad. Right?

Don't think so. But for the most accurate answer, check with your wireless carrier.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pianoman said:

You are right as far as Verizon is concerned. I just turned on their LTE on my new iPad and have unlimited 3G on my iPhone. The plan for the phone is separate from the iPad. Of course, if you try and find out otherwise, please let us all know. I don't like paying for a metered plan.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

AFAIK that's true with AT&T. Maybe your friends were throttled because they were tethering off their phone data plans. But it still doesn't make sense why they would've been throttled at 5GBs as you described, because the phone throttling cutoff has been officially announced at 3GBs, and even before the official announcement (when AT&T refused to specify), signs pointed to them toggling at 3GBs or less, depending on monthly average use for each market.

And tethering doesn't allow unlimited anyway, so throttling shouldn't have come up for your friends even if they tethered, unless they're jailbroken and tethering, then were throttled.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts