What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will apps appear on iPad2 that won't run on iPad1?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
So, unless I am wrong in reading the press releases, there are no less than three apps at launch that will be available to iPad2 customers that are not available to the original iPad owners. Facetime chat is a given seeing as the iPad has no cameras. It also looks like the iMovie and Garage Band apps will be for iPad2 only. I have no problem with that as this is the way things work in the tech world. I don't expect to play Dragon Age 2 on my P4 system. Still, I keep looking for an Android or Motorola sticker on my iPad and I just can't seem to find it.

Actually PhotoBooth and Facetime are both a given due to the lack of camera. And most likely iMovie as well, because the intended use is to shoot clips on the iPad and then edit them directly, which on iPad 1 is impossible, unless iMovie has an option to import movie files from other sources.

Regarding GarageBand, we will have to wait till it's release. iMovie specifically states that it is for iPad 2, while Garageband does not give any indication, same as other apps such as Numbers, so it might work.

So we have 3 apps which won't work due to a lag of camera and possibly one more. I find this quite reasonable.

I find it more than reasonable. That is how technology works. What is hot today is old news tomorrow. I would be upset if Apple wasn't trying to push tablet technology forward. What I find unreasonable is the original quote that I referenced which was just simply ridiculous. If the iPad 2 didn't have exclusive capability and apps what would the point be in even releasing it?

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Ooof. I would like to apologize on behalf of Android and T-Mobile. You have my condolences.

It's just..so sad....

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... If the iPad 2 didn't have exclusive capability and apps what would the point be in even releasing it?

Hmm, rather harsh statement...

If every new iteration of laptop, computer or other tech gadget had to bring new capabilities and apps, we wouldn't see new technology released nearly so often.

I dont have a computer anymore (got rid of my netbook when I realised the ipad could actually do everything I wanted). When I was a PC owner, however, I used to pay a lot of money upgrading CPU, motherboard, disk capacity, graphics card, monitor etc etc

None of these upgrades gave me 'new' capabilities or applications, but I still spent the money to get a better user experience.

Nick

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... If the iPad 2 didn't have exclusive capability and apps what would the point be in even releasing it?

If every new iteration of laptop, computer or other tech gadget had to bring new capabilities and apps, we wouldn't see new technology released nearly so often.

I dont have a computer anymore (got rid of my netbook when I realised the ipad could actually do everything I wanted). When I was a PC owner, however, I used to pay a lot of money upgrading CPU, motherboard, disk capacity, graphics card, monitor etc etc

None of these upgrades gave me 'new' capabilities or applications, but I still spent the money to get a better user experience.

Nick
I hope you know that you still need a computer to take proper care of the iPad. You know...upgrades.
Once in a while Apple throws you a curve and asks that you plug into iTunes when you purchase something of value. Hope that you at least have some access point with trustworthy friends...

I too find that machine lust was a big factor in paying for the latest technology. I've been at it since the first Mac when it was that you spent a lot of time waiting for the computers to do their thing. It's been the opposite for quite some time now, it's always waiting for me...

modru2004

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Nick

you don't make any sense. first i would like to point out that EVERY iteration of a laptop or desktop or hardware in general brings new capabilities to the table. maybe its a featureset you never see, maybe it works behind the scenes like sse instructions.

but reguardless every new iteration brings something new to the table, even if its simply a higher clockrate for faster computing.

this further increases the capabilties of the machine. just because YOU don't take advantage of it doesn't mean its not there. to pull it from your own post, everytime you upgraded your desktop with a new cpu, gpu, or memory you said it didn't have any new capabilities....to put it bluntly your wrong.

when you did those upgrades you became capable of doing things you couldn't do before. you could run games at higher graphical settings, or run games you couldn't even run before. you could encode video faster, with the advent of gpu based processing video encoding takes a fraction of the time it did before. maybe you had no use for these features and didn't use them, but that doesn't mean that they weren't there.

ya fancy hardware won't help your desktop experience past a certain point.(moving window to window, word processing, internet browsing)

but it most definently brings something new to the table.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you try to purchase the new iMovie on an iPad 1 you get an error message saying, "iMovie is not compatible with this iPad" and it wont download. You can make a hack and get the app on the original iPad but it won't run worth a darn due to the lack of graphics excelleration, twice the ram, and dual core CPU in the iPad 2.

And this is only week 2. More and more sophisticated apps will be released that only run on the new iPad. We can call it progress, or planned obsolescence, but it's the reality of computing devices.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you try to purchase the new iMovie on an iPad 1 you get an error message saying, "iMovie is not compatible with this iPad" and it wont download. You can make a hack and get the app on the original iPad but it won't run worth a darn due to the lack of graphics excelleration, twice the ram, and dual core CPU in the iPad 2.

And this is only week 2. More and more sophisticated apps will be released that only run on the new iPad. We can call it progress, or planned obsolescence, but it's the reality of computing devices.

Not completely true buddy. I have imovies on my ipad1 :)P it's runs perfectly fine with no slow down. Only thing is I can't take videos with my iPad and load them in since ipad1 has no cam. BUT I can still load my vids from my digital cam or phone and edit them in there. So for the record, imovies works perfect on ipad1. U just can't get it from the app store as it'll give u that error. There are ways and workarounds for this. I didn't have to hack anything to get it working. I just knew where to look. Samething with FaceTime. It can run on ipad1 also. Only thing is the other person can't see u but u can still see and chat with them. Better thn not working at all..lol. Garage band works fine also, as I have it. There's workarounds for everything, mostly, people. There hasn't been no real deal apps released yet to showcase and enable the true power of the ipad2 extra CPU increase and graphics capabilities. Photo booth may be the only one so far. Ipad2 updates of certain games like Infinity Blade, Asphalt6, and Dead Space still look nearly identical to ipad1 counterpart. As time goes on, more apps will take "Real" advantage of ipad2 stuff and those apps will most thn likely be started from scratch. Not rehash of ipad1 titles just because it has a minute amount of finer detail.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not completely true buddy. I have imovies on my ipad1 :)P it's runs perfectly fine with no slow down. Only thing is I can't take videos with my iPad and load them in since ipad1 has no cam. BUT I can still load my vids from my digital cam or phone and edit them in there. So for the record, imovies works perfect on ipad1. U just can't get it from the app store as it'll give u that error. There are ways and workarounds for this. I didn't have to hack anything to get it working. I just knew where to look. Samething with FaceTime. It can run on ipad1 also. Only thing is the other person can't see u but u can still see and chat with them. Better thn not working at all..lol. Garage band works fine also, as I have it. There's workarounds for everything, mostly, people. There hasn't been no real deal apps released yet to showcase and enable the true power of the ipad2 extra CPU increase and graphics capabilities. Photo booth may be the only one so far. Ipad2 updates of certain games like Infinity Blade, Asphalt6, and Dead Space still look nearly identical to ipad1 counterpart. As time goes on, more apps will take "Real" advantage of ipad2 stuff and those apps will most thn likely be started from scratch. Not rehash of ipad1 titles just because it has a minute amount of finer detail.

Not entirely true. How deep have you created projects in iMovie? It's not a matter of if it will run, but a matter of how well itnruns with complex projects.

GarageBand is a perfect example. I ran it on my iPad 1 and it was fine until I actually created a song with 8 tracks full of smart instruments. The app became almost unusable even after closing down all other apps and performing a hard restart. Most any editing operation, even just muting a track required the app to "optimize" the track which forces you to sit and wait while the play head slowly sweeps across your entire project. This made the app slow and frustrating.

On my ipad2 switching from instruments to the mixer is faster, and I never have to wait while the app continuously optimizes on fullsize projects. Everything is instant and seemless. (it does still occasionally save the project, but thats very quick) I'm sure the old iPad has to render the midi tracks to audio to make up for lack of ram, CPU power, and graphics excelleration, they just like to call it "optimizing."

It's a simple matter. If a future app needs a dual core processor, more ram, and 7 to 9 times the graphic acceleration the iPad 1 is just not going to cut it. Hardware does make a big difference.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I know that you guys are going to keep this conversation civil, respectful and adhere to forum rules.

Right?

I must admit, I was rather surprised how 'hard' my comments were taken. Will think twice before I comment again...

Nick

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I know that you guys are going to keep this conversation civil, respectful and adhere to forum rules.

Right?

I must admit, I was rather surprised how 'hard' my comments were taken. Will think twice before I comment again...

Nick

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nick, I didn't see anything wrong with the two post made by you in this thread.

Most reactions

Latest posts