What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will apps appear on iPad2 that won't run on iPad1?

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think so. If so, then the app store may need another area or filter to help prevent original iPad owners from purchasing apps that they can't run. Any thoughts?

Apologies if this has been addressed in another thread. I didn't see it addressed yet, but I have so little time to read that I may have missed it.

MsAmandaLove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know nothing about it since I don't keep up with those updates. But I hope that won't be the case because to me that would be shitty of apple to do that. It would be thier way of forcing people to upgrade to the ipad 2 Which right there is not right to people who hadn't had their ipad for very long.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given that there are apps on iPad that won't run on iPhone because they make use of iPad-specific features, it is possible that there will be apps that make use of iPad2-only features (e.g. if it has a camera, which iPad 1 doesn't.)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until we actually hear official word from Apple concerning the iPad 2, I think we should wait.

If Apple does a major upgrade and includes a dual core processor, more RAM, etc, etc, then of course there are going to be apps that take full advantage of that new hardware and won't run on the iPad.

But, if Apple just does a minor refresh like maybe adding a camera and a little more RAM, then there will only be a few apps related to the camera that won't work on the original iPad.

But since Apple hasn't even OFFICIALLY said the iPad 2 even exists or is in production, it's all speculation right now.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The world didn't end for iPhone 2G when the 3G came out.. And similarly the 3Gs, 4G.......

I wouldn't panic about things..

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Inevitable as devs seek to exploit the hardware.
No doubt we'll see current and legacy options.

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof....."

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you download stuff from iTunes on your PC, it will be up to YOU to read the app descriptions carefully. While you can download any app to your PC, only those apps that will run on whatever mobile device you have plugged in at the time will transfer over when you sync. OTOH, if you download stuff from the App Store app on your iPad, it will only show you apps that will work on that device.

jacson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The full screen feature is meant to view the Visualizer or any video content full screen. If you wish to make your iTunes browser window to extend across your entire desktop, you must move the window to the left corner, and then drag the bottom right to make the window extend across your entire desktop. You can also create an AppleScript to do this.

Reaction score
jacson said:
The full screen feature is meant to view the Visualizer or any video content full screen. If you wish to make your iTunes browser window to extend across your entire desktop, you must move the window to the left corner, and then drag the bottom right to make the window extend across your entire desktop. You can also create an AppleScript to do this.

There is also a setting under Preferences, which let's you set the store into fullscreenmode.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to me with my Android phone. I have one of the first ones that T-Mobile offered. The latest OTA update for it was 1.5 and there are apps I need for school and other things that only run on 2.1 and above. They released a 2.1 ROM for the phone a while back, but the performance is so laggy and crappy it isn't worth using it anymore. Ridiculous things, like if I type in someone's name to send a text message to, it will take 30 seconds for it to pull up the contacts list and then another 30 seconds for it to scroll to the person's name. And if you dare touch the screen or any button while it's "thinking" it slaps you right back to the previous screen and you have to start all over.
And it's because they came out with newer phones with faster processors and more RAM. Mine physically can't handle the demands of the 2.1 Android OS.
I really hope Apple doesn't allow that kind of thing with the iPad and future IOS upgrades. That's the biggest reason I won't buy an Android tablet.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to me with my Android phone. I have one of the first ones that T-Mobile offered. The latest OTA update for it was 1.5 and there are apps I need for school and other things that only run on 2.1 and above. They released a 2.1 ROM for the phone a while back, but the performance is so laggy and crappy it isn't worth using it anymore. Ridiculous things, like if I type in someone's name to send a text message to, it will take 30 seconds for it to pull up the contacts list and then another 30 seconds for it to scroll to the person's name. And if you dare touch the screen or any button while it's "thinking" it slaps you right back to the previous screen and you have to start all over.
And it's because they came out with newer phones with faster processors and more RAM. Mine physically can't handle the demands of the 2.1 Android OS.
I really hope Apple doesn't allow that kind of thing with the iPad and future IOS upgrades. That's the biggest reason I won't buy an Android tablet.

What Android phone did you have? The G1? It does stink that the first generation Android phones basically got left in the dust because of their poor hardware specs, but that shouldn't be to much of an issue for phones bought from 2010 on. Also, if it was the G1, then I assume that you put a custom rom on it to get 2.1. There are a lot of videos of custom roms running on the G1 on youtube that show it very smooth especially for the hardware that it had. It might have been a case of just running a poorly built custom rom or something going wrong while flashing it.

For example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVeKboqn6LU[/ame]

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts