What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Advice: ipad1 vs ipad2

natedawg607

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Morning,

Newbie here, so hi all! We are slowly becoming an Apple House- Have macbook, airport extreme, 2 verizon iphones.

I had a bunch of best buy cards from trading in our old phones. So we looked at an ipad- (Ipad2 is so hard to find, but the store tells me they keep getting them in, maybe 5 to 10 per week, but the store employees never know when they get them).

We have 2 kids, and are wanted the ipad for an upcoming coast to coast trip (movies/netflix), we also use it for surfing on the couch, and I would take it when I travel sometimes.

I purchased the ipad1- 32gb with wifi/3g for $480 with tax (b/c of our Bestbuy credits).

I have that 14 day return period, and was thinking of still hunting for the ipad2 16gb wifi/3g for another $50 ($530 total)- trying to keep the costs close.

Is it worth it to decrease memory inorder to increase the speed (& reduce size/weight) with the ipad2 for +$50?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

OP
N

natedawg607

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the average ipad movie size if you buy or rent from itunes?

(we will need to do this to use them on the plane)

OP
N

natedawg607

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking that......but it seems impossible to find them without a 4 week wait. I'm stuck at dealing with bestbuy since we have that large credit there.

I'll keep calling best buy for the next 10 days haha.

Thanks!

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Morning,

Newbie here, so hi all! We are slowly becoming an Apple House- Have macbook, airport extreme, 2 verizon iphones.

I had a bunch of best buy cards from trading in our old phones. So we looked at an ipad- (Ipad2 is so hard to find, but the store tells me they keep getting them in, maybe 5 to 10 per week, but the store employees never know when they get them).

We have 2 kids, and are wanted the ipad for an upcoming coast to coast trip (movies/netflix), we also use it for surfing on the couch, and I would take it when I travel sometimes.

I purchased the ipad1- 32gb with wifi/3g for $480 with tax (b/c of our Bestbuy credits).

I have that 14 day return period, and was thinking of still hunting for the ipad2 16gb wifi/3g for another $50 ($530 total)- trying to keep the costs close.

Is it worth it to decrease memory inorder to increase the speed (& reduce size/weight) with the ipad2 for +$50?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

you obviously bought the ipad 1 after it went on a 100 sale...when the ipad 2 dropped..I bought mine and started the return process having to have it back by march 11 (the day you could preorder the new one online or b uy in store)...I sent it back...

here was my philosophy....I don't care about money, I make more than I need, I'm 26 and still in school...I returned it...as i2 is the platform they are making apps for now...

if money is an issue, or if time (needing the product now is an issue) keep it...I'm sad I sent mine back, I only played with it for 3 days...it's sick...but my i2 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow...whoop whoop!!!!

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking that......but it seems impossible to find them without a 4 week wait. I'm stuck at dealing with bestbuy since we have that large credit there.

I'll keep calling best buy for the next 10 days haha.

Thanks!

stuck with credit why? you can request and demand a corporate refund check...it'll take a week or two, but use a credit card, buy it from apple *anyone who buys this ipad 2 from an apple store is honestly a ***** taking the chance of driving there that it'll be in stock....lmao.that line will be sold out before you're 70 percent of the way to the front...just trying to be honest...

movie size depends on hd or SD...go into itunes and lookat movies, under the "purchase option" theyre will be size, requirements etc etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
N

natedawg607

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My choice to go with best buy was b/c I have $150 BB gift card. The only other thing I usually buy there is itunes giftcards for the same value. I find that I can find 99% of products cheaper elsewhere. The exception was the ipad1 (pricing less than Apple), or Ipad2 (same as apple, but none in stock).

So I felt the best way to get rid of the BB gift cards was to purchase the ipad1 (done!), but my post pertains to swaping it for the ipad2 (my uncertainty).

I wanted the Ipad for a trip we are taking in the next 2 weeks, and I have looked all over for the ipad2 and it looks to be back ordered for AT least a month most places. I'm not going to pay the ebay mark up.

That said, I think I'd rather have the Ipad1 I have now, than no Ipad at all. So If I can't find the Ipad2 at bestbuy in the next week, then I think I'll be content with this.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Choices, iPad vs iPad2

natedawg607

At first glance iPad is good enough.... 15 million folks felt the same way until now. iPad2 has been released and 40 million will end up with them. Why. Its a better unit. Thinner and lighter makes it easier to hold in one hand. Important when reading books, etc. The cameras were added for video chat... via FaceTime ... apple to apple sharing... could be a biggie. But the real biggie is performance. Dual core means faster everything ... also the Graphics performance is up to 7 times better than ipad, Xoom, or whatever has also been announced todate. This means that imovie editing of video clips is EZ. The gaming community will be so excited... a whole new world. Everything will be faster. Garageband is a deal breaker. The performance is what some musicians would have paid $300 for on full computer systems. As an app I think it is $4.99. Then there is mirroring via HDMI to TV or projectors. Important for sharing, presentations and educational stuff.

I sold ipads for a large electronics retail outfit. (known as the Apple expert in the store ... only because I dig, learn, got enthusiastic... super product). I am getting the ipad2 for my bride. I could have gotten the ipad orig for $200 less, but I want the better model... because I know me ... always would be wishing for the better one. I have built lots of PCs because I could. Why upgrade ... because it was faster, better , more storage, etc. I can be very patient, to get what I really want ...My opinion ... Your choice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts