What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will apps appear on iPad2 that won't run on iPad1?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, ouch, I'm sorry.

You need to upgrade, how long before you can upgrade?

Like was said above, that phone isn't powerful enough to run many of the new apps anyways.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a great reputation for continuity. When they went to the Intel processors, they continued to support the old ones. 10.6 was the first one that I could not run my wife's g5 on. And it is still supported under 10.5. Yes, there will be a few apps that will take advantage of specific iPad 2 features, but nothing that Apple won't insist on making part of the description.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, ouch, I'm sorry.

how long before you can upgrade?

I don't get the full upgrade discount until next February I think they said. I thought about getting out of my T-Mobile contract and going to Verizon. It would actually be cheaper for me to do that (pay the $200 termination fee and get a new phone and service at Verizon) than it would to buy a new phone outright from T-Mobile.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the Cliq to be pretty smooth on Android 1.5 and I would reflash it back but like I said, I need to use some apps for school and other things that just won't work on it. So I have to suffer with the crappy performance for the time being.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For everyone panicking understand how apple releases hardware and software.

For starters there will never be an app that won't work on any iPad. That's android not iOS. Secondly, the way apple has always released consumer products is major every other release. So iPad 2 will have more internal storage and maybe (not definitely) a camera....but will not be a major leapfrog over the current model.

This isn't motorola...apple doesn't like to totally screw it's customers by making their still current and brand new devices obsolete.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

For starters there will never be an app that won't work on any iPad. That's android not iOS. Secondly, the way apple has always released consumer products is major every other release. So iPad 2 will have more internal storage and maybe (not definitely) a camera....but will not be a major leapfrog over the current model.

This isn't motorola...apple doesn't like to totally screw it's customers by making their still current and brand new devices obsolete.

How can you possibly say that? There will be a time when a major iOS release won't be offered for our current generation iPads. Once apps come out that require that new version of iOS we will indeed have the situation where there are iPad apps that don't work for older devices. I agree that Apple does a good job with legacy support, but it isn't forever support. I believe Apple has stated that the next version of iOS won't be offered for first and second generation iPod Touches, so the day of any iOS app working on those devices is quickly coming to an end, why won't the same happen with the iPad?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:

That's my experience with Apple too.
They go out of their way to make software usable on all iterations of a computing device as long as technology makes it possible. The software that will be made to run better with newer tech advances will have an emulator to allow older machines to still work. That's the way they've got us used to deal.

In another line of thought though, today's apps compared to traditional software are so small, specialized and inexpensive that maybe iPad1 may not be able to use the apps made in the not so distant future...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Consumer devices like the iPad have a finite life span. It will happen that people will upgrade, but with Apple devices, the main problem will be when the newer apps require more features and power than can be provided. Considering how frequently most people upgrade their iPhones and iPods, I do not feel this to be a major problem. In the 3-5 year life of an iPad, few will be in use that long. Most of those in service will be hand me downs because the original owner bought a newer model.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I certainly agree there is a finite life span-that's pretty obvious, but I am not in any immediate panic mode. I just got my iPad 3 months ago and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. I think it will be fine for a few years before we start to see some of the product life cycle worry like that. But Seadog has a good assessment of 3-5 years lifespan as it is. I sure hope to get my use out of mine! One thing I know is that they are only rated for X amount of battery life so eventually they either get sent in for the battery to be replaced or you buy the next model. I guess that will be the decision I get to when the time comes which is not going to be anytime soon just yet.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Regardless the apps we have will still keep working just fine.
Five years down the line new apps might not run on it but it will still do what it does now.

This is all FUD, and when scared cows tend to run in circles .......

OP
S

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I somewhat disagree that this is all FUD. It is somewhat of a self evident thread, but I was not asking for a yes or no on the issue. I know the answer. But I wanted to invite comments on the issue so that I might see views that hadn't occurred to me yet. Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So, unless I am wrong in reading the press releases, there are no less than three apps at launch that will be available to iPad2 customers that are not available to the original iPad owners. Facetime chat is a given seeing as the iPad has no cameras. It also looks like the iMovie and Garage Band apps will be for iPad2 only. I have no problem with that as this is the way things work in the tech world. I don't expect to play Dragon Age 2 on my P4 system. Still, I keep looking for an Android or Motorola sticker on my iPad and I just can't seem to find it.

Reaction score
DaveSt said:
So, unless I am wrong in reading the press releases, there are no less than three apps at launch that will be available to iPad2 customers that are not available to the original iPad owners. Facetime chat is a given seeing as the iPad has no cameras. It also looks like the iMovie and Garage Band apps will be for iPad2 only. I have no problem with that as this is the way things work in the tech world. I don't expect to play Dragon Age 2 on my P4 system. Still, I keep looking for an Android or Motorola sticker on my iPad and I just can't seem to find it.

Actually PhotoBooth and Facetime are both a given due to the lack of camera. And most likely iMovie as well, because the intended use is to shoot clips on the iPad and then edit them directly, which on iPad 1 is impossible, unless iMovie has an option to import movie files from other sources.

Regarding GarageBand, we will have to wait till it's release. iMovie specifically states that it is for iPad 2, while Garageband does not give any indication, same as other apps such as Numbers, so it might work.

So we have 3 apps which won't work due to a lag of camera and possibly one more. I find this quite reasonable.

Most reactions

Latest posts