What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi keeps randomly turning off and i have to keep restarting it

falkner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh so it keeps just shutting off if I don't use it for five mins then I have to start it up again, and type in my password etc...is there anyway of avoiding this? Is happening on my iPhone as well. Wish i could enter password once and then it would recognise it every time

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Have a look at these links and I hope they will help you
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/54428-unable-connect-wi-fi.html#post373016
Let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Settings/General/auto lock and change it to "never".

If you choose to do this, you risk leaving all your data exposed in case of loss or theft or your iPad. The passcode lock is adjustable in increments as a security measure.

tafflet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pass code lock

If you choose to do this, you risk leaving all your data exposed in case of loss or theft or your iPad. The passcode lock is adjustable in increments as a security measure.

I refer to auto lock which indeed has different time adjustments one can choose to shut off. This does not however prevent the operation of the pass code lock or the ipad2 cover lock which operates on closing. But having your device lock you out when you don't want it to is remedial.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is happening on both your iPad AND iPhone and I can confrim that this is definatley NOT expected behaviour (your devices should stay connected and remember their WiFi settings regardless of any setting, such as auto-lock), then I would suggest you take a good look at your WiFi router. First off, try resetting it. This often helps. But if the problem persists I suggest you need to take a careful look at how it is configured and the setting used. There is likley somethig wrong there which needs resolved.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with figuring out why wifi is cutting out. That's a separate issue from autolock and passcode lock.

tafflet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Agree with figuring out why wifi is cutting out. That's a separate issue from autolock and passcode lock.

You're right, for whatever reason, I thought I was responding to an IPad shutting down issue. Maybe I clicked on the wrong post or my brain was starved of something at the time. - Sorry!

doogie56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi keeps dropping the signal. The internet screen just minimizes and when you go back on the screen refreshes without doing what i was trying to search or change. I have a second iPad that does not drop it at all, so I don't think it is the router. Any suggestions for settings to check? Thank you.

Danijoh69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doogie56 said:
My wifi keeps dropping the signal. The internet screen just minimizes and when you go back on the screen refreshes without doing what i was trying to search or change. I have a second iPad that does not drop it at all, so I don't think it is the router. Any suggestions for settings to check? Thank you.

I am having same issue with my NEW iPad 3! It will occasionally just drop the wi-fi connection & I have to go back & re-enter the password. Also if I take the ipad out of the house, when I one back home it will NEVER automatically reconnect to my wi-fi. I have an iPhone 4 AND an iPad 2 & neither one EVER drops the wi-fi signal or fails to automatically connect to wi-fi. I really think there is an issue with the iPad 3 dropping wi-fi intermittently!!

golub71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same issue so talked with apple. Suggested switching router to WPA2 with AES encryption and have had no problems since. Said it was an issue with WPA connectivity. Good luck

aditya.bagve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doogie56 said:

Is iPad 2 or 3? I just bought iPad 2, it's running on iOS 5.1 and drops wifi as you mentioned....it's really frustrating

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
golub71 said:
Had the same issue so talked with apple. Suggested switching router to WPA2 with AES encryption and have had no problems since. Said it was an issue with WPA connectivity. Good luck

Yes, I noticed the same. Looks like the software has quite a 'preference' for WPA2. If your router is not running it and you neighbors are then likely you'll experience this signal dropping issue.

Danijoh69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 kept dropping wi-fi signal every time iPad screen goes inactive and I had to go in & re-enter password. Called Apple support and to make a long story shorter they replaced it as it was only a few weeks old. Well guess what! The new iPad does the same thing!! My iPad 2 NEVER drops the signal. I'm starting to wish I had never bought the iPad 3 ! If you're on the fence- DON'T BUY THE 3 YET!! I'm sure this is an issue that Apple has not owned up to yet. I have an iPhone 4, my wife has iPhone 4, and a Kindle Fire. None of these drop the wi-fi like the iPad 3 does.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Danijoh69 said:
My iPad 3 kept dropping wi-fi signal every time iPad screen goes inactive and I had to go in & re-enter password. Called Apple support and to make a long story shorter they replaced it as it was only a few weeks old. Well guess what! The new iPad does the same thing!! My iPad 2 NEVER drops the signal. I'm starting to wish I had never bought the iPad 3 ! If you're on the fence- DON'T BUY THE 3 YET!! I'm sure this is an issue that Apple has not owned up to yet. I have an iPhone 4, my wife has iPhone 4, and a Kindle Fire. None of these drop the wi-fi like the iPad 3 does.

What router are you using. I am 95% sure this is am issue with your router settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts