What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi keeps randomly turning off and i have to keep restarting it

Danijoh69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
What router are you using. I am 95% sure this is am issue with your router settings.

I am using a Linksys wireless G; I ran the set-up disk again & reset all settings. If it were the router then why does my iPad 2, 2 iPhone 4, my wife's Kindle Fire, and my daughter's Mac ALL work with same router and never drop the signal?!

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Danijoh69 said:
I am using a Linksys wireless G; I ran the set-up disk again & reset all settings. If it were the router then why does my iPad 2, 2 iPhone 4, my wife's Kindle Fire, and my daughter's Mac ALL work with same router and never drop the signal?!

I had the exact same router and had serious issues with my newer equipment I tried connecting to it. Especially the ps3, many firmware updates later and settings tweaks. I found I had to reboot the router about every week to have it usable. You realize that is a very old router. Have you updated the firmware for it?

I upgraded to the linksys 4200 and that one has been stable.

Dolphyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my iPad3, and it only started after I applied the most recent ios upgrade to 10.0.2. What happens is that I logon to a wifi network, (home, public, doesnt matter) it works for a while then the wifi slider automatically turns itself off for no reason and I have to turn it back on. I tried resetting the network settings on my ipad which erased all of my net passwords, and after putting them back in, then seemed to work for a while, then started happening again. I also noted since the upgrade, it doesnt automatically remember bluetooth devices that it connected to before, and I have to go back in and then have it select the bluetooth device for it to recognize it. Very annoying.

Anyone know how I can prevent the wifi slider from turning itself off? And secondly is there a setting that you can set to have it always connect to certain bluetooth devices without having to go to the menu and selecting it every time?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, I've never heard of wifi turning itself off. Dropping the connection, certainly, but not physically turning itself off. You won't like me for this but I'm going to suggest going back into Settings and resetting all settings. Something is fooling around with that slider, and it shouldn't be.

Next up, as far as I know, there is no way to automatically connect to a BlueTooth device. I have 3 devices that are paired with a Braven BlueTooth speaker, which I just turned on. None of the devices attempted to connect to it. I presume that this is deliberate behaviour. It would be annoying if, for example, my iPhone insisted on connecting when I wanted my iPad to do it. I would have to turn BT off on two devices in order to connect to the correct one.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, you could start your own thread if you wanted to. There's no need to hunt down old threads to attach your questions to, and in fact, new threads are often better because so much has changed in the last few years.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Just to let you know, you could start your own thread if you wanted to. There's no need to hunt down old threads to attach your questions to, and in fact, new threads are often better because so much has changed in the last few years.

@ the OP - I agree w/ Kevin - this thread was over 4 years old when you brought it back TTT, as they say - many opening such a thread might completely ignore the 'new' post once seeing the age of the thread or may not even bother in opening it.

In the future, you will receive better and MORE attention by starting your own thread - this is not as such directed at you, but others who may have the same decision to make, i.e. tack on to an OLD thread or start one anew. Welcome as already stated - Dave :)

Dolphyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, I've never heard of wifi turning itself off. Dropping the connection, certainly, but not physically turning itself off. You won't like me for this but I'm going to suggest going back into Settings and resetting all settings. Something is fooling around with that slider, and it shouldn't be.

Next up, as far as I know, there is no way to automatically connect to a BlueTooth device. I have 3 devices that are paired with a Braven BlueTooth speaker, which I just turned on. None of the devices attempted to connect to it. I presume that this is deliberate behaviour. It would be annoying if, for example, my iPhone insisted on connecting when I wanted my iPad to do it. I would have to turn BT off on two devices in order to connect to the correct one.

Thanks! But ugh factory reset? Alrighty, I'll do the backup then try it. Thanks for the rapid response, I'll do new threads next question!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. Keep us informed and we'll see what we can do to get the iPad running properly.

Most reactions