What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the situation on the availability of iPad 2 where you live?

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gizmodo ran an article about a guy essentially doing the same thing in NY..

http://m.gizmodo.com/5784080/cant-get-an-ipad-2-blame-it-on-asians

medium_ipadhk.jpg

Amok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are bigger fast bucks to be made here than just $100 or $200 per day for those that stand in line. Some smart attorney is bound to see this loophole and Apple's enabling of a gray market and file in the appropriate court system. Simple class action for those foreign authorized Apple distributors who are being end-run by the gray market.

Apple does have a contract with these distributors. The Apple Store is intended for point-of-sale transactions for consumers, not for an unsanctioned distribution network.

Let them sort it out in the courts! Where's Apples incentive to change otherwise?

Bravesguy1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I know what the Asian guy that you are talking about is doing with them. I live in the Atlanta area and just casually check craigslist to see what people are selling the iPad 2 for. I found one pat for an iPad 2 64gb 3G+wifi AT&T black for $260. And they have their company website on the page which is www.pickelec.com. I took a look at it and they are located in China and are selling the iPad 2 below the price you get at the stores. They show that they have over 200 of the 64 gb in stock an same for the 16 gb. They even have MacBooks for about $300. I guess they get people to buy stock for them and then sell it cheaper than advertised.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bravesguy1981 said:
I think I know what the Asian guy that you are talking about is doing with them. I live in the Atlanta area and just casually check craigslist to see what people are selling the iPad 2 for. I found one pat for an iPad 2 64gb 3G+wifi AT&T black for $260. And they have their company website on the page which is www.pickelec.com. I took a look at it and they are located in China and are selling the iPad 2 below the price you get at the stores. They show that they have over 200 of the 64 gb in stock an same for the 16 gb. They even have MacBooks for about $300. I guess they get people to buy stock for them and then sell it cheaper than advertised.

Those are undoubtedly knockoffs made of cheap parts..

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are bigger fast bucks to be made here than just $100 or $200 per day for those that stand in line. Some smart attorney is bound to see this loophole and Apple's enabling of a gray market and file in the appropriate court system. Simple class action for those foreign authorized Apple distributors who are being end-run by the gray market.

Apple does have a contract with these distributors. The Apple Store is intended for point-of-sale transactions for consumers, not for an unsanctioned distribution network.

Let them sort it out in the courts! Where's Apples incentive to change otherwise?

I don't think Apple is enabling anything. They would be buying a lawsuit if Apple employees started questioning the motives of folks standing in line waiting to buy a product. The ACLU would be there in a nanosecond, screaming racial profiling.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, they already tried to block in NY and the Attorney General's office said it's illegal..

...the office of then-Attorney General Andrew Cuomo warned the company that holding Asian customers to a higher degree of scrutiny was illegal.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CharlotteSometimes said:
Hey,

I don't really think Apple is managing to keep up with sales this time. The iPad 2 sold out at launch yesterday (I'm in Europe) on all stores in my country in 15 minutes. I stood in line for 4 hours, I was number 20, and the woman in front of me, number 19, bought the last two iPads.

They say they can't predict when more iPad's will be available at my country and the stores who do still have some models only have Wifi only version.

Has Apple been giving updates on the situation in regards to distribution of the iPad 2's? Is there a way I can be able to know when next shippings to countries will be? The moment it went on sale in Europe the online wait on the Apple store was already 2-3 weeks, today (the day after) it is 3-4 weeks.

Every store I go to, whenever I ask if they know when a new shipment is comming their reply is: "We really have no idea, it could be a month or more"

How is the situation on iPad 2 shortages where you guys live?

That's crazy. On release day here you could only buy one IPad 2 per person. They shouldn't have let that lady buy two.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
droid2mac said:
How about if Apple, for in store purchases, wrote a code in the software that required an unlock code emailed to the buyer. The unlock code must be entered from the buyers iTunes account. Never happen, but at least would slow down scalping.

More likely would be a text. They could have an iPad set up to check people in name, iTunes address, intended purchase, and cell number. It could email you a receipt and text you an authorization code to be entered at check out. Bam!!!

Silent Assassin said:
so if you came and stood on line for him, bought 2 iPads with his money, you made $200 bucks.. a good deal for some college kid with no income.. a bad deal for everyone else in line who actually wanted an iPad 2 for their own personal use though..

I'm a broke college student so I would use it on a better model or apps or accessories!! That would be worth a three week wait. Where are you located again?

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sold out everywhere where i live in cali, but with the screen bleeding and long lines i plan on just waiting a month or so once online orders catch up and then ordering one online.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heck,
Here in the DFW area there is literally hundreds of ipad2s on Craigslist - regardless of mem or 3G some of the asking prices are hideous. Literally most are between $1100-$1800. Even noticed a 16GB/3G for $1850 yesterday. Somebody will probably pay for it.

The other question I have is on all of the first gen iPads for sale that are in the OEM plastic with all sealed accessories yet no boxes??? I couldn't tell you how many individuals I conversed with that had some strange (however unbelievable) story of why they lacked a box yet had a "sealed/brand new" iPad.

Where the heck are these coming from?

I'm a triple iPad1 owner yet can understand the frustration of those waiting for ipad2s - especially with those folks hoarding up the limited supply just to off for a profit. I agree howevervthat Apple really isn't to blame. Limiting the purchase to two per customer is actually a good effort. Many a legitimate buyer looking for two out there to satisfy a his and hers or other purchase desire.

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts