What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the situation on the availability of iPad 2 where you live?

Reaction score
Hey,

I don't really think Apple is managing to keep up with sales this time. The iPad 2 sold out at launch yesterday (I'm in Europe) on all stores in my country in 15 minutes. I stood in line for 4 hours, I was number 20, and the woman in front of me, number 19, bought the last two iPads.

They say they can't predict when more iPad's will be available at my country and the stores who do still have some models only have Wifi only version.

Has Apple been giving updates on the situation in regards to distribution of the iPad 2's? Is there a way I can be able to know when next shippings to countries will be? The moment it went on sale in Europe the online wait on the Apple store was already 2-3 weeks, today (the day after) it is 3-4 weeks.

Every store I go to, whenever I ask if they know when a new shipment is comming their reply is: "We really have no idea, it could be a month or more"

How is the situation on iPad 2 shortages where you guys live?

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I live in Florida and I ordered mine (from AT&T) on the 11th and my order is still pending. Whenever I call to check the status, I'm told they are waiting on apple to send them. But when I call apple they are tight lipped. I wish I had ordered it from apple because when I check the other forums people are getting theirs. And if not there is at least an update available. Whereas AT&T (again) has nothing. Very frustrating. I did however receive my cover for it. But that I ordered from apple. It too was on back order, but instead of 1-2 weeks, I got it in about 4 days.

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered mine online Mar 16 and it's due to be shipped Apr 20. A long wait for sure, but at least it's a likely date and I don't have to keep stopping in stores. A work colleague went to an Apple store on Friday morning but had no luck -- he was too late.

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reserved a 32gig wifi in black at Best Buy 2 weeks ago today and I'm next on the list. They get shipments weekdays, but never know what days, how many or what kind. I have stopped at a few Best Buy stores across Virginia. Yesterday one had 2 32gig in white and a 64gig ATT in white. Calling the store near me I was told they no longer reserve them and will not sell them to the public until all the reservations are filled. But, some people opt not to pick them up, so these are left over. Just no way to know where.

Amok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a great conversation in line at the local Apple Store this morning. The guy was a gray market mule. He and all his friends were there in line (in front of me, sigh). He was saying that he has a 'friend of a friend of a friend' kinda thing where they get all the iPad2's they can (every day, same stores) and get a premium to ship them to overseas destinations (mostly south america).

He was working the line to "buy up" extra tickets for everyone that only wanted just one iPad2 telling them to take extra tickets for "anything other than Verizon". They made a killing. Everyone in line behind them went home empty handed.

I'm very disappointed at Apple's sales model that enables this gray market while the people who would actually USE the device go without.

I asked the Apple Store "ticket girl and bouncer" that handed out the tickets this morning about it. She said nicely that she, too, is disappointed but there is really nothing to be done "at her level" other than provide feedback to her store management. The store management feels a sale is a sale...and they sell out every morning. Gotta love that customer (dis)service.

Of course, when you're making money hand over fist, customer service doesn't rank high on the list of priorities I suppose.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amok said:
I had a great conversation in line at the local Apple Store this morning. The guy was a gray market mule. He and all his friends were there in line (in front of me, sigh). He was saying that he has a 'friend of a friend of a friend' kinda thing where they get all the iPad2's they can (every day, same stores) and get a premium to ship them to overseas destinations (mostly south america).

He was working the line to "buy up" extra tickets for everyone that only wanted just one iPad2 telling them to take extra tickets for "anything other than Verizon". They made a killing. Everyone in line behind them went home empty handed.

I'm very disappointed at Apple's sales model that enables this gray market while the people who would actually USE the device go without.

I asked the Apple Store "ticket girl and bouncer" that handed out the tickets this morning about it. She said nicely that she, too, is disappointed but there is really nothing to be done "at her level" other than provide feedback to her store management. The store management feels a sale is a sale...and they sell out every morning. Gotta love that customer (dis)service.

Of course, when you're making money hand over fist, customer service doesn't rank high on the list of priorities I suppose.

How can you know who is grey market and who isn't. If they had never had that conversation or you had been earlier in line, you wouldn't know. They are most likely paying cash and trashing receipts. They are "working" as they would call it and that has nothing to do with apple.

As far as availability, i know now that it is best to order from apple or stand in line. To the initial threader, you can do like many americans, order online and while your order is being processed, skip around to stores. It's called guaranteed buying. In America, retailers are getting more frequent shipments so availability seems to be clearing up. But join the fools of us who drool for apple and lack patience.

Next release, (IPhone probably) I'm ordering online and standing my butt in a line at a little att store in a Podunk town.

I will be following suit now that I have had a launch day experience.

Amok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts HKWrite12.
I don't think I have a perfect solution (but I didn't spend millions of $ on market research like Apple). A few thoughts are:

1. Harsh as it might sound, limit the in store purchases to 1 per person instead of 2. Most people were selling their extra ticket to the gray market guys working the line cuz it was just 'free money, why not'. That would have dropped the gray market "volume" quite dramatically and the tickets would have gone further. There is no way that I would have sold my extra ticket to these people as I realize that folks further back would go without, just not fair in my opinion.

2. Harsher still, require the device to be set-up and sync'ed prior to leaving the store. It with then be "open box" and that would cut down on the resale of the device...in theory.

3. Avoid the whole deal by allowing pre-orders for in-store pickup.

4. Allocate more "inventory" to the online sales to incentive-ize people to purchase online if that is what they really expect loyal fans to do.

Just let me know what podunk town you'll be invading next time so I can choose a different one so we both leave happy. :D

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amok said:
Thanks for your thoughts HKWrite12.
I don't think I have a perfect solution (but I didn't spend millions of $ on market research like Apple). A few thoughts are:

1. Harsh as it might sound, limit the in store purchases to 1 per person instead of 2. Most people were selling their extra ticket to the gray market guys working the line cuz it was just 'free money, why not'. That would have dropped the gray market "volume" quite dramatically and the tickets would have gone further. There is no way that I would have sold my extra ticket to these people as I realize that folks further back would go without, just not fair in my opinion.

2. Harsher still, require the device to be set-up and sync'ed prior to leaving the store. It with then be "open box" and that would cut down on the resale of the device...in theory.

3. Avoid the whole deal by allowing pre-orders for in-store pickup.

4. Allocate more "inventory" to the online sales to incentive-ize people to purchase online if that is what they really expect loyal fans to do.

Just let me know what podunk town you'll be invading next time so I can choose a different one so we both leave happy. :D

I agree with everything but your second number two. I am a DIY I have been told I don't listen and like to make mistakes for no reason. For some of which I will adhere. I like to sync and set up my own stuff. It gives me a sense of ownership.

On one thing we agree, I do feel like less inventory should be sent to stores in a manner to give fair priority to online buyers. They could have iPad 2 days where the general public would know on this day, you can come and we will have 500 iPads. Do that 4 days and on the other 3 service online buyers.

Preordering definitely. I was mad that Euro was able to preorder. I live in MS so some town that I don't even know the name of. So you should be safe!

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to order it online from Apple, do it, even if the shipping date is delayed. That way you'll have a guaranteed delivery (at some point) and if you get lucky enough to find the model you want at a local store, you can cancel the online order.

Google "Japan-made iPad parts" and you'll come across reports of potential production issues, which I think is another good reason to order directly from Apple, if you can do that in Europe.

To answer your question about local supply, in my town (USA), there are none in stock at the AT&T store and I saw none at the local WalMart. Was in Chicago last weekend, checked two Apple stores - none available.

I questioned my sanity when my alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. March 11 so I could place an online order (delivered 3/21). Now I realize that was about the smartest thing I did this month.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just called my local Apple store and was told that they just sold out this morning.

But in retrospect ~ that has been there answer every time I call! I just thought of that! I wonder if they are suppose to say that.

Anyways ~

Next shipment sometime next week ~

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is no different than ticket scalping, and as hard to prevent. Whenever people see a chance to make an extra buck, they will. Limiting sales to 1 per person is a step in the right direction, but won't totally end scalping. Would you sell your ONLY ticket for $100? Many would. Another idea, issue wrist bands attached by a store employee that must be cut off after the sale. How about if Apple, for in store purchases, wrote a code in the software that required an unlock code emailed to the buyer. The unlock code must be entered from the buyers iTunes account. Never happen, but at least would slow down scalping.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple really is not to blame they limit number of ipads to 2 which is all they can do.

The issue is simple even though they are manufacturing up to 2 plus million a. Month ( the target is more) demand at the beginning is greater than supply world wide
No manufacture regardless of brand can do any better All stores are on allocation l I suspect apple owned stores get priority as in most cases they are also bigger.
I waited in line at a non Apple store in Australia with 100 others I was 20 from the front they ran out of 32gb wifi so I left. Some buyers opted for other models that were still available mainly wifi 3G and 16gb wifi plus a few 64 wifi but what was interesting to me I talked to around 10 different people in line and in every case they were first time buyers of apple products

I can wait for mine so I have one on order now eta about 3 weeks or less
Some models will be short but hopefully it will settle down in a month or so as pre orders are filled.

Apples model works remember they are built to order meaning they donot hold huge inventories in warehouses in any country ok. Foxtron in china has 1 million employees Apple is their largest customer if that makes sense. Additional factories are being built but will take time.

The bottom line is apple is on a winner regardless of competition and every one is overwhelmed by the demand. Personally even with pending new releases coming it will be some time before it will slow demand.

One mire thing what is interesting in major computer retail stores like where I work. Apple now has more back orders than any other computer manufacture in particular laptops. If one groups the ipad with netbooks and laptops they are now have the highest volume of sales and what realy is interesting there is also a higher demand for apple laptops and desktops

Last edited:

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine early last week at the Apple Store in Lenox Mall, in Atlanta.. the website says the store doesn't open til 10am, but that's for regular customers.. They make Genius Bar appointments starting at 8am... the Mall itself opens at 7am for mall walkers, and ppl going to the business offices... That morning, I got to the mall around 7:03am, and was in line by 7:05am, and was #42... by 7:15am, the line was easily at 150 people.. they all showed up out of nowhere..

The Apple Store reps started explaining the process around 8:15am, and a guy with a cart and vouchers started handing them out around 8:20am... at around 8:45-8:50am, they started letting in people with vouchers to get their iPads...

There was an Asian guy standing up front and he had a TEAM of people... maybe 12 to 15... and they were all instructed to buy 2 iPads each.. CA$H... the Apple Store guy wanted to stop them so bad, but he couldn't.. he said they weren't doing anything 'illegal', though it's not exactly 'fair'... plus Apple are legally allowed to sell 2 per customer.... so in the end, this Asian gentleman ended up with about 30 iPads... and he was giving each of those people who got there early and waited to buy 2 for him, an extra $100 per iPad...... so if you came and stood on line for him, bought 2 iPads with his money, you made $200 bucks.. a good deal for some college kid with no income.. a bad deal for everyone else in line who actually wanted an iPad 2 for their own personal use though..

luckily, I got mine... 32gb black wifi...

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We later found out that the Asian guy was advertising an ad on Craigslist and on the campus bulletin boards at GA Tech to have people come stand on line and buy 2 iPads for him and get $100 per iPad..

That's a bs policy if you ask me, and I think they should only sell ONE per customer until supply catches up with demand..

All those iPads were probably shipped to Asia, or are on eBay and Craigslist with insane markups..

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in Huntsville, AL and was at a Sam's club last Saturday. They told me they were due to get some in but didn't know what they were getting. I called a couple days later, the truck just arrived. I went over and they brought what came off the truck to the desk to show me.

I got a 32G ATT model. I'm new to Apple so I'm in catch up mode!

Most reactions

Latest posts