What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is left to add on iPad3? Worth the wait?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Tinman said:
I think it is a step backwards to offer a keyboard yet no mouse.

As mentioned you can get a pointer easy enough. So iOS is not the limitation here. You can also get BTStack Mouse to use a mouse with that pointer. To be it is only natural to use a mouse when using a keyboard:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wklrVOFMKA

Now compare the above with having to reach over the keyboard to physically touch the screen every single time you needed to interact with it? Methinks the mouse is a better way of interacting when using a keyboard like that.

Michael

No offense, but this is stupid. You want a full keyboard/mouse setup...buy a laptop or netbook. Once again, the ipad is not meant to be a computer or replace a computer fully. /facegrenade

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is a step backwards to offer a keyboard yet no mouse. As mentioned you can get a pointer easy enough. So iOS is not the limitation here. You can also get BTStack Mouse to use a mouse with that pointer. To be it is only natural to use a mouse when using a keyboard

Depends on how you use it: I don't use a mouse on my laptop/PC, strictly speaking, because I use an IBM-style touchpoint keyboard, i.e. I don't have to move my hands off the keyboard when I'm tying to move the cursor around.

I think the perception that taking the mouse away from a touchscreen device is a bad move comes from one having different expectations and/or requirements. But to the majority of users, using iPad by simply touching, tapping and swiping the screen is part of the "magic", and it's wholly a different kind of device than a laptop/desktop.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
Doesn't Apple see that the time is right for a MacTablet? :D

I hope this is sarcasm. Lol
Hey, I was brought up in the sixties with Star Trek. I'm still expecting a tablet to be able to calculate the remaining power left in a Dilythium crystal!:D

Ever since the first Mac I've dreamed of a thin tablet to draw on. The first demo I saw of iPad had my jaw drop below my gel soles and my soul crying "Yes!" (mind you I'm a poor artist at that but I want perfect tools):p

Artsy cute drawings are okay but you can't print them big enough to frame yet and CAD is next to a joke, still...
I love my iPad but I can't help dreaming of that all powerful "independant" computing tablet. Fer now I'd settle for the innards of a MacBook Air inside an iPad.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't Apple see that the time is right for a MacTablet? :D

I know this might have been said in jest, but I honestly think a Mac Tablet is coming sooner rather than later. It appears that touch capability will be added with the next major OS X release, so I don't see what would be holding Apple back. I would think Apple could stuff the hardware from the Air into the form factor of the iPad already. If Apple did that and decided not to require a second mortgage to buy it I might actually finally consider purchasing a OS X device.

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iVan said:
I love my iPad but I can't help dreaming of that all powerful "independant" computing tablet. Fer now I'd settle for the innards of a MacBook Air inside an iPad.

Ditto

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We don't just change the technology , it also changes us. I was positive I'd have to have a Bluetooth key board but waited to decide which kind.....in the meantime I developed a very speedy ability to one hand type ,now getting a separate keyboard would feel like the "dark ages ".

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD3

I was just wondering some opinions on what would make the iPad3 better than the iPad2?

What is left to add? I'm thinkin I may wait until iPad3 ~ but I want some experts to tell me what could be added!

The biggest unrest so far on iPAD2 is the picture quality of the cameras.

iTunes needs a new name. It was great for iPOD and music, but it does a lot more than just move music. It needs simplicity, intuitive use, seamless interfacing with all your computer devices.

So the biggest change will be software. How to easily move data, sync data between all the mobile devices ... Back up and security.

Wireless is how data will be moved, not physical ports. 4G technologies serving LTE and GSM networks are likely.

Cloud services will be important ... streaming movies, music will be key. Gaming will be a high priority... great apps for dual cores, and higher GPU performance now available in iPAD2. As die processes get smaller, clock cycles tend to go higher. More, and faster memory is a possibility. All this will be measured against impact on battery life.

Thus, Long battery life is a prime cornerstone to loving the iPAD. Retina high resolution screens and USB 2.0, or 3.o are power hungry technologies. Retina screens have never been successfully made in larger sizes.

Just my SWAG,you know ... (scientific wild A** Guess)

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes needs a new name. It was great for iPOD and music, but it does a lot more than just move music. It needs simplicity, intuitive use, seamless interfacing will all your computer devices.

iTunes, I think, is a perfect example where the original program has been expanded continuously and had extra functionality bolted on, to a point where it's just so unwieldy and confusing to use, not to mention users inadvertently having data deleted from their devices.

For a company which prides itself on usability and simplicity, I'd really like Apple to redesign and rebuild iTunes from the ground up, so that all the critical tasks it has to perform is easier, less ambiguous and more flexible to users' needs.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes needs a new name.
Especially since iTunes on your PC and iTunes on your mobile device are two (almost) completely different things. For iPad users who have never had an iPod or iPhone, it can be confusing to buy your content through the iTunes app and then play music, podcasts, etc on the iPod app and watch movies on the Videos app. But on your PC, you literally do everything through iTunes.

We have all seen posts where "noobs" say that they have purchased some songs on their iPad but when they go to play them, they can't find them when the whole time they have been in the iPod app.

Apple is certainly not going to change the way we do things on the mobile devices, but they could certainly change the name of the iTunes app to something more appropriate. They don't want us to think of the iPad as an iPod on steroids, but they still use the name iPod for the app to play music.

Sometimes I think the new devices are so successful that they are running away faster than Apple can keep up with them. I (am apparently one of the few people who) think that the iTunes program on the PC is basically OK, but it is essentially still the same iTunes that it was before there ever was an iPhone or iPod Touch.

[/RANT] off

Most reactions

Latest posts