What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is left to add on iPad3? Worth the wait?

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
tzimisce said:
But wouldn't a mouse kind of defeat the whole purpose of having a touchscreen device?

No.... It would certainly make Remote desktop stuff better, then again does not the current Bluetooth keyboard defeat the same purpose?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
But wouldn't a mouse kind of defeat the whole purpose of having a touchscreen device?

No.... It would certainly make Remote desktop stuff better, then again does not the current Bluetooth keyboard defeat the same purpose?
And indeed t when using a BT keyboard the lack of BT mouse can make using it a chore. Nothing like typing away and having to reach up and physically touch the screen frequently when a mouse would be far easier.

Michael

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, does iOS even support a pointing device in its kernel? (As opposed to a keyboard, which does exist and is necessary to use apps on the iPad.)

Part of the "magic" of a touchscreen device is, well, being able to touch the screen and interacting with it. For many users (who don't remote desktop), it would be a step backward in the overall user experience - which for Apple is the foremost consideration.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, does iOS even support a pointing device in its kernel? (As opposed to a keyboard, which does exist and is necessary to use apps on the iPad.)

Part of the "magic" of a touchscreen device is, well, being able to touch the screen and interacting with it. For many users (who don't remote desktop), it would be a step backward in the overall user experience - which for Apple is the foremost consideration.

You can add a mouse cursor via jailbreak.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waiting for iPad 3

The original question here. I believe that if you simply wait for iPad 17 it will offer even more than iPad 3-16. If you live that long, that is.

The future - Always different, sometimes better (sometimes worse), and usually at least a little unpredictable. Roll the dice.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The original question here. I believe that if you simply wait for iPad 17 it will offer even more than iPad 3-16. If you live that long, that is.

The future - Always different, sometimes better (sometimes worse), and usually at least a little unpredictable. Roll the dice.

actually I think the original question was more like....with it being so awesome already...what do you think could possibly be added in a years time. Nothing to do with why should I wait to get a different version. The OP has had an iPad since day one....not like she is a waiter.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me the iPad 2 isn't lacking anything that the iPad 3 is likely to add.

Hardware wise I doubt we ever get an SD card slot, as that kills incentive to buy anything but the 16 GB model given how much Apple overcharges for more memory compared to SD card prices.

I don't care that much about getting a retina or other higher res screen. Nice feature, but not worth waiting for or upgrading for IMO.

Other things I'd like are OS related and will just never happen on the iPad (sans jailbreaking) like Flash support, and Mac/PC style file and folder system with simple drag and drop, Apps having open and save as menus to work with that file system etc. Same with USB port, useless to me with out a drag and drop file system.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had an SD slot with my iPad1 since I bought it

with the camera connection kit. I use it all the time which is why, as a photographer, I have the 64 gig wifi/3g.

I trust that the same camera kit with my new iPad2 will give me an SD slot there as well.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant an SD slot that could be used to expand storage for Apps etc. Not just for loading content like photos.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think it is a step backwards to offer a keyboard yet no mouse.

As mentioned you can get a pointer easy enough. So iOS is not the limitation here. You can also get BTStack Mouse to use a mouse with that pointer. To be it is only natural to use a mouse when using a keyboard:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wklrVOFMKA[/ame]

Now compare the above with having to reach over the keyboard to physically touch the screen every single time you needed to interact with it? Methinks the mouse is a better way of interacting when using a keyboard like that.

Michael

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now compare the above with having to reach over the keyboard to physically touch the screen every single time you needed to interact with it? Methinks the mouse is a better way of interacting when using a keyboard like that.

I'd agree. But personally I think it's silly to work with an iPad like that. I'll do all my work that needs a keyboard and/or mouse on my laptop.

A tablet will never replace a laptop/desktop for me as I need a real keyboard, a mouse, a full OS and full software packages etc. from work.

Tablet is just for net surfing, reading and goofing around with games and other apps for me. A complementary device to my work laptop, not a replacement--people who try to make a tablet a laptop/desktop replacement are never going to find it ideal unless they're doing little more than netsurfing and e-mail.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd agree. But personally I think it's silly to work with an iPad like that. I'll do all my work that needs a keyboard and/or mouse on my laptop.
It's hard to do that on a laptop that is not around. I don't travel with my laptop anymore, and I am happy about that :). For normal use the iPad alone is better for me, and is great while on the plane, airport, hotel room, etc--not to mention battery life. And even with taking the keyboard and mouse it is lighter than taking my laptop.

But if I have a work thing come up that goes beyond the iPad's capabilities the keyboard is nice to have indeed. And a mouse makes it a that more a viable solution for me. So in a heartbeat I have a remote session into a genuine PC (or Mac) that works very well. Heck that is about all I had been doing with my laptop the last few years: remoting into another machine.

Michael

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see that. I'm just work all the time, being an Assistant Professor in the publish or perish phase!

So I pretty much always need to have a laptop around. Currently when I travel I take my laptop and Kindle. With the iPad I may leave the Kindle at home (assuming Apple's lame policy change doesn't get the Kindle app withdrawn by Amazon) as I just can't do the work I need to on a tablet. I can't remote access into my office computer, and my only home computer is my laptop.

I could get by iPad only for a pure vacation where I'm doing no work. But I doubt I'll take another of those until after getting tenure!

Most reactions

Latest posts