What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is left to add on iPad3? Worth the wait?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes needs a new name.
Especially since iTunes on your PC and iTunes on your mobile device are two (almost) completely different things. For iPad users who have never had an iPod or iPhone, it can be confusing to buy your content through the iTunes app and then play music, podcasts, etc on the iPod app and watch movies on the Videos app. But on your PC, you literally do everything through iTunes.

We have all seen posts where "noobs" say that they have purchased some songs on their iPad but when they go to play them, they can't find them when the whole time they have been in the iPod app.

Apple is certainly not going to change the way we do things on the mobile devices, but they could certainly change the name of the iTunes app to something more appropriate. They don't want us to think of the iPad as an iPod on steroids, but they still use the name iPod for the app to play music.

Sometimes I think the new devices are so successful that they are running away faster than Apple can keep up with them. I (am apparently one of the few people who) think that the iTunes program on the PC is basically OK, but it is essentially still the same iTunes that it was before there ever was an iPhone or iPod Touch.

[/RANT] off
I also think that iTunes is okay on the PC. Hey, we're used to MS after all!:p

Using iTunes requires a long learning curve. It's become a full library of entertainment. When you're a first time buyer of a tiny iPod Shuffle and that you have to face iTunes just to get music on it! Wow! That is bewildering!

Speaking of iTunes on iPad...I got a video podcast for the first time this past week. Get this! You look for it in iTunes, you download, then you go to the iPod app to look for it, then you find it in the podcast section and when you tap on the title it opens the Videos app for you to watch it!!!:confused:

The iTunes store from inside the iPad is a portal to media acquisition but the cutoff and link to the desired media handler should be done before the search engine to make it more simple. Apple probably figured that doing a search before selecting a media is more profitable. Ex: If you're looking for a film with a specific title, the search will also bring up songs, movie soundtracks, podcasts or others and that that search would have brought another sale.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes being so confusing and cumbersome is the sole reason I jail broke. To get Ifiles and transfer my own media when I wanted and how I wanted. It feels good not to be chained to iTunes to transfer media or whatever. All I need it for is the occasional backup and iOS upgrade, that's it. Other than that Ifiles supplies all my file exploring and file moving needs.
That's what ipad3 needs, Ifiles built into the OS. So we have more control over our files and how we move them. Even incorporate backing up and updating ios thru Ifiles itself. Even if not Ifiles at least a comparable quality PC/Mac style file explorer. Ifiles saves me tons of time.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is a step backwards to offer a keyboard yet no mouse. As mentioned you can get a pointer easy enough. So iOS is not the limitation here. You can also get BTStack Mouse to use a mouse with that pointer. To be it is only natural to use a mouse when using a keyboard

Depends on how you use it: I don't use a mouse on my laptop/PC, strictly speaking, because I use an IBM-style touchpoint keyboard, i.e. I don't have to move my hands off the keyboard when I'm tying to move the cursor around.

I think the perception that taking the mouse away from a touchscreen device is a bad move comes from one having different expectations and/or requirements. But to the majority of users, using iPad by simply touching, tapping and swiping the screen is part of the "magic", and it's wholly a different kind of device than a laptop/desktop.
I don't agree, when it comes to actually using a keyboard for RDP or VNC usage. In fact you are controlling a non touchscreen device so it makes sense to use a keyboard and mouse... if you are going to be using a keyboard anyway. And I say this not from outside observation: but from actually using my iPad with a mouse plus keyboard for remote sessions Vs keyboard only. Adding the mouse completes the package.

As for the touchpoint comment, that has nothing to do with the iPad and using a mouse. You could say you prefer that to a trackpad or mouse on other laptops too. Conversely, there is no reason there could not be an integrated bluetooth keyboard which includes a bluetooth trackpad or pointing stick. There was a time when it wasn't just IBM/Lenovo who used them.

Michael

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Given that there will always be new hardware and software components coming out, at some point you need to stop your R&D and get the product ready to market. I'm sure within the design team there will be always be the possibility to "just add one more feature", but Apple also keeps an eye on the market.

Even releasing (as some fans have described it) a half-baked upgrade has had the effect of pushing all the competition's news out of the limelight and consolidating Apple's reputation as the leading/only viable tablet designer (regardless of the merits of the iPad's competitors.) What people think and believe about your product is what leads to sales.

And as for Apple product rumours, where do you think they come from? (And they're one of the best kinds of marketing tools because people will readily spread the news far and wide, giving you free publicity and generating buzz - and it doesn't even have to be completely true.)

I totally agree with everything you just said. Thanks for the objective view.

Most comments like these reflect a strong marketing inclination ... but seem to be shy of how the business side really grows. Without R&D companies die. Timing is everything. Not too many years ago, Apple was a very small business, but they added iPOD, developed iPHONE, and now iPAD. They developed a support system, and on, on, this success story shows. This comes from R&D not wild mixing of legacy features from the existing PC culture ... as I see many wishing for.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD3, plus

I think the biggest experience changer is going to be Thunderbolt. It will be what Intel did with developing USB in 96-98. And best of all, it will eventually replace all other interfaces. USB3 has not been getting much support from vendors and now with TB, you can connect USB, Firewire, SD, etc. with no loss of speed. Even eSATA will fall eventually. There will still be some applications that will continue to support them, and it will take years, but other than a few industrial applications, serial, parrallel, and SCSI are no longer a part of computer usage. And so will all the others fade out. I have a Dell laptop that has eSATA, serial, firewire, 4 USB ports, VGA, ethernet, and other ports I don't have a clue about. My MacBook has firewire, USB, ethernet, mini DVI, and SD card. Imagine only one port design that does it all. It would simplify everything for manufacturing.

This product is already here, now. It is called MacBookPRO. I think you will quickly discover, Macbook Air will meet the desire of those wanting a larger screen, legacy ports, USB, mini display port ... and very soon (I'm dreaming here) Thunderbolt. But you see this is because the "AIR" is using Intel processors with PCI express architecture. It already is setup for Mac OS Lion.
It already has 128GB SSD storage. Like the AFLAC ad ... optical drive ... nah, nah, nah. And there is wireless, as well. Much better software, keeps on coming.

I see so many want hardware this and that. But it is in the software that makes the hardware come to life. I see much better integration, smooth, intuitive data transfer and sharing, slick cloud interfacing with massive storage, security and hopefully convenience. And Apple is growing, and growing and growing.

Last edited:

A100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
iTunes being so confusing and cumbersome is the sole reason I jail broke. To get Ifiles and transfer my own media when I wanted and how I wanted. It feels good not to be chained to iTunes to transfer media or whatever. All I need it for is the occasional backup and iOS upgrade, that's it. Other than that Ifiles supplies all my file exploring and file moving needs.
That's what ipad3 needs, Ifiles built into the OS. So we have more control over our files and how we move them. Even incorporate backing up and updating ios thru Ifiles itself. Even if not Ifiles at least a comparable quality PC/Mac style file explorer. Ifiles saves me tons of time.

That's Exactly how I feel about iFile and Jail-breaking! iFile is Awsome, if it was Native to The iOS that would make the iPad that much more of a "Real Computer". As is, the iPad is a flat Netbook! But even Netbooks have more flexibility with their Data/Files than an iPad. Apple is Encouraging jail-breaking by leaving "Common-Sense" features out of iOS. I had to jailbreak My iPad (And iPhone). The added utility has made My life alot easier and fun.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Apple's answer to ”leaving out" some things on the iPad (and a valid one in my view) is that a MacBookAir is probably more suitable for what you want. I've chatted to friends /colleagues about my iPad, the iPad2 and the alternatives, and i've said to a few of them that they should look at the MacBookAir instead.

As for new features for the iPad3 - Better screen, better speakers, increased capacity, probably a larger design change than we've seen with the 2, perhaps go buttonless entirely. I think it's fair to say they will introduce some new feature which right now we cant imagine, and a year after they release it users won't be able to imagine living without... Pretty much like our ipads right now for many of us. The iPad2 is a polish of the iPad IMO. I think plenty of us think the 3rd Gen will be really different.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for new features for the iPad3 - Better screen, better speakers, increased capacity, probably a larger design change than we've seen with the 2, perhaps go buttonless entirely. I think it's fair to say they will introduce some new feature which right now we cant imagine, and a year after they release it users won't be able to imagine living without... Pretty much like our ipads right now for many of us. The iPad2 is a polish of the iPad IMO. I think plenty of us think the 3rd Gen will be really different.

I am all over this one ~ hopefully. It certainly can't be slimmer, right?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD2 now, iPAD3 who know when and what

There are two posts on Appleinsider today 3-13-11 (sorry to refer to another site) that are absolutely must reads, IMO. The first is about the processor being multi frequency, demand driven ... Wow ...and RAM, the second is GPU performance, with proof) If you read thru the comments on both of them many of the suggestions wanted will be thoroughly explained as to why they won't happen.

One is Retina Display. They have only been developed for displays the size of iPHONE. Also the extra processor power and the graphic support will be mis-directed into more pixels and will be a loss not a gain.

The idea of USB ports for flash drives are not likely, either ... though many post that is what they would like.

PC like real time multitasking is very power and memory hungry. Your desire is notable. The technical reality is if it pulls the battery life (charge available is any substantial way) ... it won't happen. That is the problem in providing Flash as well.

So what else is left to desire. Better resolution in the cameras would fly, IMO.

A major redesign of iTunes and Mobileme ... this is software and very do-able.

Something along the idea SugarSync seems to be highly desirable. Forstall and his group are really smart ... who knows what is just around the bend? But, these are available to iPAD2 as soon as they are ready.

For those that want Thunderbolt ... The real estate for the Intel type controller, the power demand, and a total redesign to include PCI express architecture seems most unlikely.

A6 ... more performance, even better graphics for gaming (that will be the big push for iPAD, and it is coming, who knows ...( only Steve and company) Foot print size is critical

Lion on iPAD is not realistic at all. Apple already has "Air" and Macbook PRO. "Air" will replace the white Macbook, IMO

Optical drives are like floppy drives... they will never happen in this type of product... and they are phasing out.

If iOS5 can make the display be sharper, more clear, EZr to read ... that would be great... a different display ... not likely.

Don't know if this is satisfying ... but has probably possibilities... IMO

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A better camera(s) is likely, and SDHX card support is a strong possibility. I would like to see Thunderbolt, but there is a lot of issues to get around to make that happen. There will be a higher resolution screen, but not Retina as in the iPhone. Most of the upgrades will be increases in RAM and faster processors. And never doubt Apple's ability to pull a rabbit out of their hat and surprise everyone.

Most reactions

Latest posts