Finger Lakes of New York State

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jul 5, 2014.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys - thanks for the comments - just added a new post on our second day visiting Keuka Lake - and YES as explained we have 2 cases of wine in the mail! Dave :)

#11 giradman, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Just had to show one of the many Finger Lakes wines soon to arrive on my doorstep - from Dr. Frank - a Riesling Reserve w/ 90+ ratings from at least 3 wine publications - a little pricey but w/ our case order, a 15% discount was included. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 2.36.02 PM.png

3. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Seneca Lake Boat Ride

On our first full day before heading out on our Seneca Lake winery visits, we took an hour boat tour on a beautiful wood tour boat made in 1934 - WOW! (pics below - one of mine and the other from the web w/ a clearer view). The boat is named the Stroller IV and was piloted by an older native of the area (and also had some Native American heritage) and a younger mate - both alternated the narrative.

Millions of years ago, there was a huge inland sea (long before the glaciations much later that helped to carved out today's appearance of the area) - large salt deposit layers exit underneath the bottoms of many of these lakes, and the salt industry here is massive and important - unfortunately, the salt 'factories' are not pretty (pic below), but the amount of salt produced is phenomenal - more HERE, if interested - currently, shale gas production w/ fracking in the area has become a topic of controversy.

On our day of arrival, I drove our rental car through Geneva (at the top of Seneca Lake and down the entire west side - beautiful) and saw the sign below, i.e. Lake Trout Capital of the World - GREAT, I'm going to eat some excellent and fresh lake fish - WRONG! Quoted below from a Wiki article describes some of the best eating fish from these waters - our older guide (a lifetime fisherman who stated that his favorite was the perch). Well, the first night in our hotel, we ate at their restaurant - there was 'fish' on the menu, but swordfish, salmon (farm raise elsewhere), catfish, and tilapia - nothing local - what a let down! SO, I asked our 'fishing pro' guide why the local restaurants do not offer local lake fish on their menus - seems to relate to fisheries laws/regulations, but still not sure.

SO, did I have some seafood - did order the swordfish the first night which was decent; we shared the steamed littleneck clams w/ a superb somewhat 'hot' (Tabasco) broth - delicious (ordered twice more!). A smoked salmon BLT at Glenora Winery was wonderful. Oysters & blackened catfish salad at the Village Tavern in Hammondsport - BUT, nothing at all from Seneca Lake - a culinary disappointment for me. I grew up in Toledo (Ohio) & southern Michigan next to Lake Erie and lake fish was always available and excellent.

Dave :)

TourBoat34.JPG
    watkinsglen092011y.jpg
    seneca_lake-1.jpg
    Lake_Trout_Capital.JPG

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Corning, NY - Corning Museum of Glass - Rockwell Museum of Western Art

Third full day - well, the weather prediction was cloudy w/ intermittent rain, so we decided to visit the small city of Corning, New York, just 30 minutes south of Watkins Glen and near the Pennsylvania border. Beautiful town w/ two museums worth seeing - why the name 'Corning' - see quote below.

Corning Museum of Glass - this is a HUGE place (and not just a museum) - likely houses one of the world's largest collection of glass objects dating back to Egyptian times up to the present - the gift shop is phenomenal (the most expensive piece I saw was $44,000 USD) - if you are in the area, a MUST visit - believe at least 8 tour buses arrived (likely from Rochester or Syracuse, but I'm sure from even farther distances). Now this museum is 'exhaustive' and your ticket includes return visits - my suggestion is to see some of the collection before lunch, eat at their cafe (or in town - there is a free shuttle bus to the other museum and also the downtown district), then look some more after eating.

Rockwell Museum of Western Art - much smaller than the glass museum, but w/ a nice collection of western art paintings, graphics, sculptures (especially those by Frederic Remington & Charles Russell). Several pics below including a 'Buffalo Hunt' & 'Mt. Whitney' by Albert Bierstadt - now we've been to many 'western' museums and this is one of the smaller ones visited, but the artists represented are quite well known and good; also, their is a small but excellent collection of hand guns and rifles, if you're into the history of weaponry - Dave :)

6a00d83451f59869e20168e89c9f74970c.jpg Corning-Museum-of-Glass-2.jpg corning_museum_of_glass__-Museum_of_Glass-3000000034168-500x375.jpg corning-museum-of-glass.jpg HD_Rockwell.jpg 4.8.6-Rockwell-Museum-image3.jpg NYGZR031.JPG images.jpeg

6. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, Corning Glass - the creators of "Gorilla Glass" (the product many suspect ... strongly ... is the glass on our iDevices).

Pretty awesome tour, there at the Corning Glassworks. Always fun to watch glassblowing. And, I've been tempted by many an item in their sales room. :D

Again, it's a pleasure reading this thread. Nice to see other's appreciation on my home area. :)

Marilyn

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Yep - would enjoy visiting & touring where that glass is made! :)

Corning-Gorilla-Glass-31.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Keuka Lake Wines Delivered Today! :)

Late this afternoon, UPS showed up w/ 3 cartons (i.e. 1 full case & 2 half cases of wine) - should last through the weekend - ;)

Just a listing w/ pics below from my modest wine corner in the basement - Dave :)

Dr. Frank Winery (4 wines, 3 bottles each):

2013 Dry & Semi-dry Rieslings (both award winners)
    2012 Muscat Ottonel (hybrid grape, off dry)
    2008 Blanc de Noir Sparkler (i.e. pinkish made from Pinot Noir grapes)
    Dr_Frank.JPG

Heron Hill Winery (3 wines, 2 bottles each):

2010 Riesling Dessert Wine (bunch select late harvest)
    2012 Pinot Gris Reserve (award winner)
    2012 Riesling (dry & delicious) - got carried away w/ this grape! :)
    Heron_Hill.JPG

Ravines (3 wines, 2 bottles each):

2013 White Blend (off dry w/ Cayuga & Vignole grapes) - this is probably for Susan?
    2013 Ayre Dessert Wine (Valvin Muscat - another hybrid) - this is definitely for her!
    2012 Chardonnay - MINE! This was the best chardonnay I tasted on the trip (probably had a half dozen).
    Ravines.JPG

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's quite a nice wine collection. Every glass you drink will bring back wonderful memories of your trip.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan... - yep, I'm sure when we pop the cork on those bottles, the memories of those scenic views will be in our minds - I'm already thinking about a return trip next year (this time flying into Rochester - some activities there and then maybe a stay on the 'top' of Seneca Lake @ Geneva on the Lake, which we passed on our way down). Dave :)