What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video help please

knighty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
just got the ipad 2, never really had anything like this before BUT after being moaned to by my 6 year daughter i finally gave in :D have to say what a great device, totally fallen in love with the thing :p

the problem we have is i aint got a clue on how to do things, picking up bits as i go along though

the main thing i would like to do asap is download movies on to the ipad for my daughter to watch when we go on holiday, please could you tell me in simple terms whats the best way to do this:
if i download from itunes store do they stay on my ipad until i delete?
can i down load free films from anywhere and how do i do it?
i have the 32gb version how many films can i fit on it?

thanks in advance, sorry if iam asking daft questions for you experts :eek:

regards
pk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
just got the ipad 2, never really had anything like this before BUT after being moaned to by my 6 year daughter i finally gave in :D have to say what a great device, totally fallen in love with the thing :p

the problem we have is i aint got a clue on how to do things, picking up bits as i go along though

the main thing i would like to do asap is download movies on to the ipad for my daughter to watch when we go on holiday, please could you tell me in simple terms whats the best way to do this:
if i download from itunes store do they stay on my ipad until i delete?
can i down load free films from anywhere and how do i do it?
i have the 32gb version how many films can i fit on it?

thanks in advance, sorry if iam asking daft questions for you experts :eek:

regards
pk

Welcome - there's no such thing as a daft question!!

OK - when you download a movie from the iTunes store you can usually either rent or buy. A rented movie has some fairly stringent conditions attached (most have to be watched within 72 hours of downloading). A purchased movie remains on your iPad for ever and you can watch it as many times as you want, without any restriction. Movies are available in standard definition (SD) and some are available in high definition (HD) format. Depending upon what else you've got on your iPad you'd be able to fit 30-40 SD movies and about 20-30 HD movies on. It clearly depends upon a number of factors, not least of which is the length of the movie!! Downloading a purchased movie takes quite a time as the size of the movie - probably 600 MB to 1GB for a SD movie - means it will take several hours on a WiFi broadband connection to the Internet. I typically let it download overnight while I'm asleep!!

There are a few free movies available - even on the iTunes site, though these are probably not going to be of interest to your daughter (they're sets of University lectures!). You can convert a DVD or BluRay disc to a format that can be downloaded onto the iPad too. Most Members use a free program called Handbrake on their PC which will convert a DVD into a format that can be transferred to your iPad and played there.

There are some other options too. The BBC's iPlayer enables you to watch back episodes of TV programs and it's free. So, too, is Channel 4's '4oD' player.

Don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any follow up questions. That's what we're here for!!

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts