Upgrade to iPad 3 if Only 3G?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad Polls' started by Beryl, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Upgrade to iPad 3 if Only 3G

1. Yes, 3G is fast enough for me

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Yes, I mainly want it for GPS

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. No, I do not desire a 3G-only iPad 3

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. No, I don't plan to upgrade

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. YucatanParker

YucatanParker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I will upgrade to an iPad 3 to get the retina screen. I have been using 4g on my iPad by tethering it to my ATT phone. My city is one of the pilots for ATT LTE. It is incredible. I think the difference is significant

2. tdmsu

tdmsu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The trouble with 4G is that it eats battery so much faster that I don't think the speed trade off is worth it right now. Perhaps the iPad 3 will have enough battery capacity to address this, but not likely.

3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I won't sacrifice battery life for speed, either.

4. Beryl

Beryl
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    One of the best features of the iPad is its battery life so I agree with these posts.

I'm beginning to imagine my ideal iPad 3. It has a GPS chip or micro SD that supports a card with memory and GPS on-board. That would enable me to use a personal 4G hotspot instead of slower speeds or reduced battery life.

5. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would be satisfied with a USB flash drive/SD card reader that plugs into the iPad 2. It wouldn't be impossible for Apple to increase the voltage at the 30-pin socket to power such a device. Even adding these ports and a retina display would not persuade me to upgrade. I find it hard to imagine anything that would.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I may not even consider the first 4G ipad whether its the ipad 5,6,etc... I jumped on the first 4G phones from Verizon and while the speed was amazingly fast it drained my battery like crazy.. While using 4G I only had 2hrs of use on my phone before it needed a charge. So I would wait to see what you impulse buyers had to say about the battery of a 4G iPad before jumping on it. Besides that I use my iPad 2 in wifi so much more than I do in 3G so its not that huge of a factor for me. Only time I use 3G is when I'm in the Car or the off chance I'm in a building without free wifi.

7. mr_president

mr_president
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm agree with you. I have 3 g with Verizon and barely use it. I will hold off on the 3. I hear it will have suri. Not enough for me to stop using the 2.