What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sprint and the iPad 4G

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Verizon is working on their next high-speed network as well.. A report from engadget todays says:

Tony Melone, the company's Senior Vice President and CTO, seemed remarkably enthused that a bona fide LTE network would be launching "in the not too distant future," and when pressed for specifics, he stated that they would launch "25 to 30 networks this year, covering one third of America by the end of 2010." Beyond that, we're looking at a footprint twice that size "15 months" after the initial rollout, and by the end of 2013, the company's 4G coverage map will be the same size, "if not larger," than its existing 3G map. Of course, the carrier insisted that they wouldn't be abandoning 3G advancement while being fixated on 4G, noting that it was moving "fast and aggressively" on both fronts, with hopes that its LTE network would eventually eclipse even the 3G networks (in terms of coverage size) of competitors

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon is working on their next high-speed network as well.. A report from engadget todays says:

Tony Melone, the company's Senior Vice President and CTO, seemed remarkably enthused that a bona fide LTE network would be launching "in the not too distant future," and when pressed for specifics, he stated that they would launch "25 to 30 networks this year, covering one third of America by the end of 2010." Beyond that, we're looking at a footprint twice that size "15 months" after the initial rollout, and by the end of 2013, the company's 4G coverage map will be the same size, "if not larger," than its existing 3G map. Of course, the carrier insisted that they wouldn't be abandoning 3G advancement while being fixated on 4G, noting that it was moving "fast and aggressively" on both fronts, with hopes that its LTE network would eventually eclipse even the 3G networks (in terms of coverage size) of competitors

Yes LTE is the thing that could FINALLY bring iPhone to VZW!!! Once ATT and VZW are on the same network there is no stopping an unlocked phone from switching sides whether they sell it or not! And I will gladly dish out some $$$ to finally have an iPhone!

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used sprint but it can't be worse than the abysmal service and customer care you get from ATT.

I'm not sure why this is always the point we see the most on the forums and blogs on the Internet. I can only speak for myself when I say that of these two subjects, which I'm not entirely sure most people grasp the difference between service and customer care.

Lets look at service first, again the way I see and experienced it.

When I am out driving the many miles throughout my state during the daylight or night time hours. Service is readily available in most roadways, highways and interstates. There are those moments when I get a drop in signal when I see miles down the road to what would be considered the next tower within my range and yet get the drop when switching from the one which I was next to and connect to the next. I notice two things, dropped call and or change in data speeds typically from Edge to 3G if entering near a small city, sometimes its seamless.

Is this only indicative of AT&T? No it is not, I also use two other phones one of which is T-Mobile on an iPhone (unlocked) and notice the same peculiarities with it as I do the AT&T sim iPhone. However when one service provider drops or is lower in signal the other is high in signal and or faster speeds. So not all towers are equal and don't always share the same connectivity for all types of users and therefore can not be used to indicate that just because there is a tower in sight (also remember there is an umbrella affect while under a tower, it radiates outward and in its "shadow" you may get no or little signal with all carriers) does not mean you should have great signal.

The other thing called Customer Service:
Any time I have called AT&T with questions or issues, I have always been greeted with a courteous representative and always have been more than satisfied with the end results. Sometimes I have walked away with free minutes, maintained rollover from one plan to another, large discounted bills and other things that all summed up together represents true customer service to me.

This is all coming from a person that works in a customer satisfaction related business in the way of computer, network and telephony sales service and maintenance. I try to make my customers as happy as I would want to also be treated from those whom provide me service, call it Karma or just respect, maybe even educated thought and not drawing conclusions based on conversations read on the Internet.

People are funny, and in one strange way wants to always fit in and most often where they are most welcome and accepted. It's always easier for most to just accept that crowd mentality instead of thinking for themselves and standing out. It's really not that hard to see the truth through all the hype when you take the moment to reflect on what you see and hear around you.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used sprint but it can't be worse than the abysmal service and customer care you get from ATT.

I'm not sure why this is always the point we see the most on the forums and blogs on the Internet. I can only speak for myself when I say that of these two subjects, which I'm not entirely sure most people grasp the difference between service and customer care.

Lets look at service first, again the way I see and experienced it.

When I am out driving the many miles throughout my state during the daylight or night time hours. Service is readily available in most roadways, highways and interstates. There are those moments when I get a drop in signal when I see miles down the road to what would be considered the next tower within my range and yet get the drop when switching from the one which I was next to and connect to the next. I notice two things, dropped call and or change in data speeds typically from Edge to 3G if entering near a small city, sometimes its seamless.

Is this only indicative of AT&T? No it is not, I also use two other phones one of which is T-Mobile on an iPhone (unlocked) and notice the same peculiarities with it as I do the AT&T sim iPhone. However when one service provider drops or is lower in signal the other is high in signal and or faster speeds. So not all towers are equal and don't always share the same connectivity for all types of users and therefore can not be used to indicate that just because there is a tower in sight (also remember there is an umbrella affect while under a tower, it radiates outward and in its "shadow" you may get no or little signal with all carriers) does not mean you should have great signal.

The other thing called Customer Service:
Any time I have called AT&T with questions or issues, I have always been greeted with a courteous representative and always have been more than satisfied with the end results. Sometimes I have walked away with free minutes, maintained rollover from one plan to another, large discounted bills and other things that all summed up together represents true customer service to me.

This is all coming from a person that works in a customer satisfaction related business in the way of computer, network and telephony sales service and maintenance. I try to make my customers as happy as I would want to also be treated from those whom provide me service, call it Karma or just respect, maybe even educated thought and not drawing conclusions based on conversations read on the Internet.

People are funny, and in one strange way wants to always fit in and most often where they are most welcome and accepted. It's always easier for most to just accept that crowd mentality instead of thinking for themselves and standing out. It's really not that hard to see the truth through all the hype when you take the moment to reflect on what you see and hear around you.

Well, t-mobile and ATT are identical networks..so yes you would experience the same sub-par service from both....switch to VZW and you will understand that you are getting awful service. I have never dropped a call in the 5 years ive been with them.

ATT on the other hand, I couldn't make a call from in my apt, nor would my phone ring unless i was outside....then i would have to go outside to talk and drop calls constantly. I thought the same as you...well those are the perils of cellular service. Then I got verizon and realized how wrong that statement was.

As for customer service....its great that you have had good service but my experience was about as bad as they get. Not going to get into details but lets just say they were not so helpful with the situation. VZW has always been great.

Experiences will vary..I just know I wouldn't wish ATT on my worst enemy.

Most reactions