Sprint and the iPad 4G

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Mar 23, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 2
    [​IMG]

Holding off for the for the iPad 3G? Want the fastest possible data speeds over cellular network? Then purchasing the Sierra Wireless Overdrive 3G/4G WiFi Hotspot from Sprint might be the way to go. Sprint's latest commercial shows the iPhone running over Sprint's 4G hotspot and takes aim at both AT&T and Verizon. I'd have to bet an iPad commercial is in the works. Check out the video below!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwV4XJJAAas&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Make Your iPhone® 4G[/ame]
  2. iJake

iJake iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iDan, could this be the answer to not wanting to pay for the 3g ipad yet?
  3. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've never used sprint but it can't be worse than the abysmal service and customer care you get from ATT.
  4. brobar

brobar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Unlimited "4G" (if you can get it in your area) and 5gb of 3G for the low-low price of $59.99 a month. Still a little rich for my blood. I'll stick to tethering with the iPhone for now.
  5. jakespaw

jakespaw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    4G by Sprint?

How would that work with the iPad? different chip?
    Different software? :confused:
  6. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    its a wifi hotspot.
  7. TheBaron

TheBaron iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would work for just about any device with wifi since it take their 4G network and turns it into a wifi hotspot. Pretty cool idea. Hopefully other providers will follow suit with their own 3g or 4g to wifi and make the price more competitive.
  8. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm pretty sure sprint is the last company to get this, they're just the only one throwing ad dollars at it...
  9. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sprint just changed the game !!!!! - New 4G phone !!!

The nation's first 4G phone HTC EVO 4 (out this summer on Sprint) will be able to instantly become a mobile wifi hotspot (at 4G speeds) for upto (8) devices with the push of a button.

This done without buying an additional "mi-fi" device to elevate the speeds of your Wi-Fi only iPad.:D

Now...my 32GB wi-fi iPad will be become a 4G speed weapon at anytime, w/o depending on the At&T only network, originally planned by Apple.

Sprint - HTC EVO? 4G

I'm in.
  10. iDan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 2
    It could be, I think it's going to depend on price and if 4G is available in your area.

I can honestly say, I don't know anyone that uses Spring. Do any of you use Sprint? Are you happy with your service?

11. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've never used it so i can't comment on it...i have some friends that use it, and they are happy with it...don't know about data connection tho..only voice.
  12. lp1968

lp1968 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had Sprint a number of years ago and they were bad (really bad). Now you have to look to see if 4G is available in your area. It is only available in a few areas (more coming). But that was the major problem with Sprint (they always said better coverage is coming soon). Boston is not available with 4G speed yet.
  13. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well, there ya go...thanks lisa...ill stick with vzw
  14. brobar

brobar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think these 4G devices they are releasing are all backwards compatible and usable on 3G networks. So even if 4G isn't very prevalent in your area (yet)... you would still be able to use it just fine on your 3G network in your area 'till 4G expands. Do keep in mind though that they are capping the 3G bandwidth at 5 gig (which is pretty standard) and the 4G bandwidth is supposedly unmetered.
  15. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I know someone well enough in the upper side of Sprint and she was able to get me out a contract after a dispute. Thank God for that.. I hope Verizon is better.. Anyway, she stated Sprint has not immediate plans to extend their 'experimental' 4G network. So unless you are in the select few 4G nodes you will be out of luck with all this hype... I think any network provider will tell you 'dont expect 4G nationwide anytime soon'..
  16. iDan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 2
    Verizon is working on their next high-speed network as well.. A report from engadget todays says:

17. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Yes LTE is the thing that could FINALLY bring iPhone to VZW!!! Once ATT and VZW are on the same network there is no stopping an unlocked phone from switching sides whether they sell it or not! And I will gladly dish out some $$$ to finally have an iPhone!
  18. AbblePC

AbblePC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm not sure why this is always the point we see the most on the forums and blogs on the Internet. I can only speak for myself when I say that of these two subjects, which I'm not entirely sure most people grasp the difference between service and customer care.

Lets look at service first, again the way I see and experienced it.

When I am out driving the many miles throughout my state during the daylight or night time hours. Service is readily available in most roadways, highways and interstates. There are those moments when I get a drop in signal when I see miles down the road to what would be considered the next tower within my range and yet get the drop when switching from the one which I was next to and connect to the next. I notice two things, dropped call and or change in data speeds typically from Edge to 3G if entering near a small city, sometimes its seamless.

Is this only indicative of AT&T? No it is not, I also use two other phones one of which is T-Mobile on an iPhone (unlocked) and notice the same peculiarities with it as I do the AT&T sim iPhone. However when one service provider drops or is lower in signal the other is high in signal and or faster speeds. So not all towers are equal and don't always share the same connectivity for all types of users and therefore can not be used to indicate that just because there is a tower in sight (also remember there is an umbrella affect while under a tower, it radiates outward and in its "shadow" you may get no or little signal with all carriers) does not mean you should have great signal.

The other thing called Customer Service:
    Any time I have called AT&T with questions or issues, I have always been greeted with a courteous representative and always have been more than satisfied with the end results. Sometimes I have walked away with free minutes, maintained rollover from one plan to another, large discounted bills and other things that all summed up together represents true customer service to me.

This is all coming from a person that works in a customer satisfaction related business in the way of computer, network and telephony sales service and maintenance. I try to make my customers as happy as I would want to also be treated from those whom provide me service, call it Karma or just respect, maybe even educated thought and not drawing conclusions based on conversations read on the Internet.

People are funny, and in one strange way wants to always fit in and most often where they are most welcome and accepted. It's always easier for most to just accept that crowd mentality instead of thinking for themselves and standing out. It's really not that hard to see the truth through all the hype when you take the moment to reflect on what you see and hear around you.
  19. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well, t-mobile and ATT are identical networks..so yes you would experience the same sub-par service from both....switch to VZW and you will understand that you are getting awful service. I have never dropped a call in the 5 years ive been with them.

ATT on the other hand, I couldn't make a call from in my apt, nor would my phone ring unless i was outside....then i would have to go outside to talk and drop calls constantly. I thought the same as you...well those are the perils of cellular service. Then I got verizon and realized how wrong that statement was.

As for customer service....its great that you have had good service but my experience was about as bad as they get. Not going to get into details but lets just say they were not so helpful with the situation. VZW has always been great.

Experiences will vary..I just know I wouldn't wish ATT on my worst enemy.