What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating to iOS 9, Now

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's in Settings - General - Multitasking.

Did you reboot your iPad after updating? I don't see a blank page when I open Mail after force closing it.
iPad has been rebooted. It has changed from multi gestures to just gestures.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing your updating. I'm one of those followers who want to see how it goes. I may update tomorrow!
I'm sure the update servers are getting hammered right now, waiting a while could result in a smoother update with fewer problems. Let us know how your update goes.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here in Australia down load was fast over the air. Just be aware the all new NeWS app is not available yet in Australia. However Just quickly change your region and restart the phone or iPad and you'll have the news app from USA. Suspect it is content delay. Hey Siri set up is nice. I thought Hey Siri would work when phone not on power. Oh well.

Love the new font

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm confused. The fine print on Apple's site seems to imply that in iOS 9, Siri no longer runs on iPad 3. I'm not too keen on losing Siri, if that's true. Anyone confirm?

From Apple's iOS 9 page:
  1. Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Mobile data charges may apply.
Maybe it's the proactive version. An exact list of features per device is not available yet.
I just checked my iPad 3, newly updated to iOS 9, it has Siri just like before. Apple just forgot to mention it in the note quoted by J. A..
image.png

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming on late here in Michigan-just came home from work and catching up here. I'll try to update tomorrow if I can. :) Good going for those who have already done the update!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked my iPad 3, newly updated to iOS 9, it has Siri just like before. Apple just forgot to mention it in the note quoted by J. A..
View attachment 67599
I suppose they were referring to the proactive Siri version. Did you try it, and was it possible to do everything the "new" Siri is capable of?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, since I'm gonna get the iPad Pro in November (yay!), I decided to update my iPad Air to iOS 9. Might as well get used to it. Me likey!

I like the two-finger swipe on the keyboard to move the cursor, the lowercase keyboard and the new multitasker look. I especially like the side load function - especially since my backup got corrupted and so I had to sign into everything! Very very handy having the side access to 1Password so I could copy all the passwords. So, corrupted backup = bad. But, iOS 9 made starting from fresh very handy.

I got my iOS 9 IPSW from Redmund Pie and did a full DFU-mode restore. It was very quick and I received no errors. So, if you're having issues getting the update through iTunes, you may want to consider getting the file elsewhere and "manually" updating. As always, YMMV.

Still, not unhappy w/stock iOS 9 (though I am keeping my iPhone jailbroken! :) ).

Marilyn

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Aaagggg!

You mentioned 1Password in slideover, so I went looking for the update (because it wasn't there), and I found 36 apps waiting for updates.

I guess I plug the toy in and let it update apps overnight. It's late anyway. :)

The massive app update after iOS update is known as an appalanch in some corners of the web.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS9 uploaded here with ease.

One great aspect, for me, is that I can now have my iCloud drive on the home screen. (go to Settings/ iCloud. Select iCloud drive and then Show on Home Screen.)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose they were referring to the proactive Siri version. Did you try it, and was it possible to do everything the "new" Siri is capable of?
I haven't had a chance to try out the new Siri features yet.

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As probably the worst fan on this site of iOS 8 I have to admit iOS 9 is a dream - we have updated all our machines and I can't see a fault in any of the functions that I use on a daily basis.

I thought after last years poor efforts I'd never say this again but. - Well done to all at Apple. I am now looking forward to the OSX update.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aaagggg!

You mentioned 1Password in slideover, so I went looking for the update (because it wasn't there), and I found 36 apps waiting for updates.

I guess I plug the toy in and let it update apps overnight. It's late anyway. :)

The massive app update after iOS update is known as an appalanch in some corners of the web.

Yeah, those updates have been coming fast and furious the past couple of days. Hope you got 'em all done... ;)

Having the slideover function (thanks for the right word) makes me jealous of the iPad Air 2 owners. Evidently, they can turn their slideover into side-by-side apps - the original Air can't. So, it was slightly more difficult as I had to sign into 1Password every time I "slid" it over. Still, it was more convenient than the old multitasking way, so I'll [quit whining] be fine. :)

Marilyn

P.S. For a pedantic person who needs to use just the right word/phrase yet also fumbles spelling - the keyboard swipe function is amazing! Very smooth and responsive. Very well done by Apple.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Safari seems unstable in iOS9. Drops out on newspaper pages, for example. Tried clearing all settings, but not much better. (iPad Air 2; 64gb +cel.)

Most reactions

Latest posts