Updating to iOS 9, Now

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by twerppoet, Sep 16, 2015.

1. davidalan99

davidalan99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Update
    Mail works fine on iPhone. On iPad, with unread mail no problem. If I close completely out of mail an reopen no problem. If all mail has been read and I open mail when it opens it opens to a screen with no messages selected, blank. Tap back to all mail boxes and it's fine.

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sadly ... no! :)

I was reading an article about some of the littler changes to iOS 9; the author mentioned the 16 apps view. So, I looked and what do ya know! There were 16-icon folders, right there on the springboard and I like it!

Made me laff at myself. :D

Marilyn

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad you finally succeeded with your iOS 9 update. Thanks for letting us know.

4. davidalan99

davidalan99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone noticed the change in the print dialog box. Besides the option slide, for single sided or double sided, and the ability to choose black and white or color. You now have bellow this a complete by page preview view. Looks the same on the iPad and the iPhone.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Apparently this is a bug that has hit a few people who used the OTA (Over The Air) update method. The basic solution is to do a restore using iTunes on a computer.

Here is Apple's support page on the subject.

If the Slide to Upgrade screen won't go away after you update to iOS 9 - Apple Support

Sorry, but I only read about this myself today.

6. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone discovered a source that explains how to use the new features in iOS 9? All I've found so far are lists, but no instructions. There's no PDF user guide yet.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lanny - I put the iOS 9 User's Guides in iBooks on our iPads - check HERE1 or HERE2 - Dave :)

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    MacStories has a comprehensive review, as does iMore. They probably explain more than you want to know, but in the process they also talk about how to use the features, and some of the reasons and/or use cases that the features may meet.

I've read the MacStories review, and love it. I even went so far as to join their Club MacStories membership so I could get it in an iBook (ePub) format. The iMore review I've only heard about second hand, but intend to read in the next day or so.

Most of the 'cool' things I've posted about here came from reading the MacStories review.

In both cases 'review' is not an entirely accurate name. A more accurate description would be 'explain' or 'inform'. They don't spend a lot of time critiquing the OS.

9. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Dave, your links open iBooks on my iPad, but there's no sign of an iOS 9 manual.

I did find a decent review at anandtech.com that explains, e.g., the meanings of most of the odd little icons on the keyboard. The ^ and its upside down sister are still incognito.

I hate mystery meat navigation. Apple used to know better.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If you open the Store in the iBooks app you can search for iPad User Guide. Make sure that it's the iOS 9 version before downloading. Everything from as far back as iOS 5 is available. You may see the iPhone and iPod manuals as well, so don't grab one of those by mistake; unless you want them.

I generally keep the current and last year version for each device on my iPad in iBooks.

The new symbols on the keyboard can be changed by the app developer. They are also contextual, meaning they can change depending on the state of your selected text, or the kind of text field you are typing in.

I haven't run into the one you are describing, or haven't noticed it if I have. What app, and what are you doing when you see it?

#60 twerppoet, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015