What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating to iOS 9, Now

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad Air is updating now. Download already complete.

I was going to use the iTunes update method, but got tired of iTunes insisting that iOS 8.4.1 was the latest version; so I broke down and started the OTA update. Took three tries before I got through to the server.

Pre-checklist completed:

• iPad backed up on the computer and in iCloud.
  • Did a reset just before starting the backup.
  • Fingers crossed.

5932bdd664ad664da1da3d4dff39b11f.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried it on my iPad 4 and I get a failure notice about 2 seconds into the download every time it try.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Done. Second reset done.

Seing the lower-case keyboard was a bit disorienting, but I shall recover. After all, I approve of the change, mightily. Now to find the iCloud Drive icon it said it was going to put on my screen.

Happy updating, everyone.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I figured out what the problem was. I was downloading a high definition TV show to my computer. This was using too much bandwidth for the update to succeed. After pausing the TV show download, the iPad update is progressing normally.:)

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now proceeding with the unthinkably stupid, and updating my iPhone on the first day. At least this time I'm using iTunes.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm confused. The fine print on Apple's site seems to imply that in iOS 9, Siri no longer runs on iPad 3. I'm not too keen on losing Siri, if that's true. Anyone confirm?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm confused. The fine print on Apple's site seems to imply that in iOS 9, Siri no longer runs on iPad 3. I'm not too keen on losing Siri, if that's true. Anyone confirm?
From Apple's iOS 9 page:
  1. Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Mobile data charges may apply.
Maybe it's the proactive version. An exact list of features per device is not available yet.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All devices up and running. No issues at this time.

The iTunes update was taking forever, then I realized that both my Backblaze and Time Machine backups were running. Once stopped things proceeded at a more reasonable pace.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

From Apple's iOS 9 page:
  1. Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Mobile data charges may apply.
Maybe it's the proactive version. An exact list of features per device is not available yet.
I'm updating one of my iPad 3's to iOS 9. I'll let you know if Siri is still there.
image.jpg

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you check on mail yet? When switching between mail and other open apps and back, to mail no issue. However after closing the app, then opening mail, it returns a blank screen, no message selected, select mailboxes and boom right to the screen. Is this the way it's going to be or can I have it open to the last screen when closed. Also do you know where the multi gesture switch is so I can turn it off when using notes plus?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you check on mail yet? When switching between mail and other open apps and back, to mail no issue. However after closing the app, then opening mail, it returns a blank screen, no message selected, select mailboxes and boom right to the screen. Is this the way it's going to be or can I have it open to the last screen when closed. Also do you know where the multi gesture switch is so I can turn it off when using notes plus?
It's in Settings - General - Multitasking.

Did you reboot your iPad after updating? I don't see a blank page when I open Mail after force closing it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using mail in iOS 9 since June with no problems, including the last week on iOS 9 GM. When I update this iPad to the public release version I'll check again.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing your updating. I'm one of those followers who want to see how it goes. I may update tomorrow!

Most reactions

Latest posts