What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating to iOS 9, Now

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, your links open iBooks on my iPad, but there's no sign of an iOS 9 manual.

I did find a decent review at anandtech.com that explains, e.g., the meanings of most of the odd little icons on the keyboard. The ^ and its upside down sister are still incognito.

Hi again Lanny - I was just reading the iOS 9 Guide on my iPad today in iBooks (about 315 pages in length) - try TP's suggestion, i.e. search in the iBooks store under 'iOS 9' - on my iPad, the icon says 'read' so it is already on the device. Let us know - Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't run into the one you are describing, or haven't noticed it if I have. What app, and what are you doing when you see it?

Mercury browser, right now.

image.png

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mercury browser, right now.

View attachment 67674

Ahh. No idea then. I don't have the Mercury browser They appear to be grayed out, which means they aren't actively available at the moment. You'll have to experiment, or go to their support site and see if they offer an explanation. Not that I could find one there when I took a quick tour.

Since the last update (that I can find) for the Mercury Web Browser is the beginning of the month (before the iOS 9 update), these shortcuts may not be standard Apple ones, but shortcuts that the developer created on their own. That is also possible, just less standard and harder to implement. Or they implemented it using a beta version of iOS 9, and it's only showing up now that you've upgraded.

Hmm, a thought, since it's on the keyboard, maybe they are for moving between editable fields on a form. You'll have to try a web page with more than one editable field to give it a try. Try creating a thread, or a new private message and see if they let you move between the title field and the text body. Or some other site with more fields, like a sign up form might work better.

That's my best guess, with very little to go on.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm in Safari now and see the exact same keyboard widgets as in Mercury. They do indeed jump from one form field to the next.

I downloaded the ebook manual, and it's barely usable compared to a PDF version--sometimes black on white, other times white on black, herky-jerky scrolling, no index or table of contents, incessant waiting for more to load, no page scrubber. A dog's breakfast! And of course, no explanation of these Safari keyboard widgets--the only image of a keyboard in the Safari section has NO widgets at all, even though it's to illustrate filling out forms.

We shouldn't be having conversations like this about Apple products. Aren't they just supposed to work? Very disappointing.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Arrgghhh! Game Center will not leave me alone. Has anyone discovered a way to remove it, or at least make it stop pestering me to log in? In previous versions, after three cancellations it would let you dismiss it for good, but no more. The game in question has no GC preference item to deselect.

Apple is turning into Microgoogle...

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm in Safari now and see the exact same keyboard widgets as in Mercury. They do indeed jump from one form field to the next.

I downloaded the ebook manual, and it's barely usable compared to a PDF version--sometimes black on white, other times white on black, herky-jerky scrolling, no index or table of contents, incessant waiting for more to load, no page scrubber. A dog's breakfast! And of course, no explanation of these Safari keyboard widgets--the only image of a keyboard in the Safari section has NO widgets at all, even though it's to illustrate filling out forms.

We shouldn't be having conversations like this about Apple products. Aren't they just supposed to work? Very disappointing.

Interesting. I'd never noticed those controls in Safari before, but you are right. There they are.

What manual and what ebook reader? Because your description does not match my experience with iBooks and the iPad User Guide, not at all. But you are right in that there is no comprehensive list of the shortcut bar icons. The only ones called out are the Undo, Paste, and BUI icons. It's in the Basics section.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442780264.471286.jpg

The above screen is what you see when reading ePub gooks in iBooks. The next screen shows the controls you see if you are reading a PDF in iBooks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442780281.504278.jpg

There is a third set of controls that appear when reading the Apple iBooks Author format (an extended ePub format that Apple uses for textbooks).

In all cases, the controls tend to disappear (get out of the way) if you are not using them. Tap in the center of the screen to call them back, or dismiss them again.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK, after some hunting I finally found the (buried) iBooks prefs that iOS 9 seems to have decided I really wanted changed. Much like always enabling Bluetooth with each update.

No ideas on the stupid Game Center, eh? The only way I've found to prevent it popping up is turning wifi off.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Buried? The viewing preferences have always been under the AA icon, since the very first version of iBooks. It's pretty common in other ebook readers as well. The Kindle app does almost exactly the same thing. Not saying it can't be confusing, just that it seems to be the de facto standard. The good news is once you learn it in one app, you'll find it easily in most others.

And sorry, but no, I have no idea what's going on with Game Center. It's behaving properly on my iPad. If you've signed out in the Game Center app and it's still popping up, all I can guess is that some game app with background access is insisting on trying to use it. You'll might have to hunt down that game and disable Game Center there.

Or you could try signing back in and hoping it will stop bugging you.

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need help regarding ios upgrade from 7.0.4 to ios 9.3.1 ...My ipad 4 was jail broken by pengu .Now i am using windows 8 Lap top . I have downloaded the firm and when ever i start extracting software with i tunes(i have latest version of i tunes) i gives error 3194 ..please guide me what to do .

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 3194 usually means that you're trying to install a non-compatible update.
Instead of trying to download the update manually, then installing it, try using the update button on the iTunes summary page for your iPad. It will automatically download the update and install it.

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did the same i didn't downloaded ispw , i connected i tunes and after back up it gave option of restore and updating and then it started downloading , when downloading done it started showing software extracted and then it showed preparing ipad for software upgrade and then it gave error 3194. Now i open i tunes every time and my ipad is in recovery mde where it has sign of ITUNES LOGO , and when i conect to i tunes it starts same thing every time except downloading ios ,

Most reactions