Unlimited Tethering iPad and iPhone App Approved by Apple

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    [​IMG]

9to5 Mac reports today that Apple has taken the unusual step of approving an unlimited tethering app, which can (at the time of writing!) be purchased in the App Store for $14.99. The application is called iTether, and appears to be very uncomplicated to use. Apparently all you have to do, after forking over your $14.99 and downloading and installing the app to your iPhone, is then install the Mac or PC application, which is available from tether.com, then plug in your USB and hey presto, you should then be tethering to your heart’s content. The speed of your connection will be determined by the speed of your usual network connection, of course. The app is already getting great reviews in the app store, but who knows how long it will be around, so best not waste any time downloading it if tethering without having to jailbreak your device appeals to you.

Click here to download iTether for $14.99 (unless Apple pull it from the store!): App Store - iTether

Source: Apple allows unlimited tethering iPhone application into the App Store | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
  2. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Just a clarification in case anyone is confused. Apparently, this app enables tethering of an iPhone to a MAC or PC in order to use the iPhone's data plan. What it does not do (at least according to the description) is to enable the iPad to be the source of the tether to another device. Nor does it enable the iPad to be tethered to the iPhone.

It should also be noted that the use of this software may violate one's contract with a cell phone carrier. Usual points about the likelihood of being caught, the carrier's response, etc.
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Agree on this point. I wouldn't risk this with my grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan, because they track for usage spikes and have cut off people's unlimited plans.
  4. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    As posted above this only works between iPhone, to MAC/PC only. No iPhone to iPad.
  5. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0
    And, it's already gone from the App Store. The developers have posted an official statement here:

Marilyn
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Not sure how to respond. Generally speaking, tethering is not allowed by the carrier. Therefore, any app that allows the user to violate their carrier's TOS and Agreement(s) is not something Apple will allow.

From their public statement: "Our team is very disappointed in Apple’s decision; as we strongly believe we help carriers better monetize their data stream by pushing customers into new data tiers further increasing their bottom-line." I will not pretend to know what is accurate and what is not accurate, but it seems to me the carriers know full well what tethering costs and how much bandwidth tethering uses or requires.

Perhaps it is not as much as they claim so they can sell a tethering/data plan.

I recently took a hard look at my user agreement with Virgin Mobile. I discovered that the use of my Triumph for any business use is prohibited.