What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, I tried to update my iPad OTA Wednesday and it seemed to go just fine as did the installation until it rebooted it's self and showed the connect to iTunes icon on the screen. I connected and it said it needed to restore, okay fine I tried to restore it but it wouldn't work. It came up with a few different errors during the many times i've attempted this, I decided to try it on my iMac instead of my windows laptop but still no joy. I followed your tutorial but iTunes keeps coming back with the "Cannot restore the iPad "iPad" because it is not eligible for the requested build" error. I've edited the host file, taken out the gs.apple portion and flushed my fns cache but it keeps coming back with the same thing over and over again and I don't know what to do.

Help??

What generation of iPad do you have and to what iOS version are you trying to upgrade?

Marilyn

misspaperwait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it!!!

Thank you for replying to my plea for help! I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, I didn't realize there had been an iOS higher than 7.0.6 up until this afternoon! Finally got 7.1 downloaded and it restored beautifully :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for replying to my plea for help! I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, I didn't realize there had been an iOS higher than 7.0.6 up until this afternoon! Finally got 7.1 downloaded and it restored beautifully :)

Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

kamigreed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi kind and helpful people in this forum, I have an Ipad 1 which remained stuck at loading screen this morning so I followed this guide to restore my ipad to the original factory settings. I downloaded the latest firmware for ipad 1 which was "iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore" and it worked but i continued to the steps where I was told to connect to my wifi or connect to itunes and it failed there. I tried keying in my wifi and it showed me " Activation can take up to 3 mins" which the Ipad then restarts the whole process again by itself, causing a loop. I also encountered an error 3194 but its gone now. Can someone kindly advise me what to do?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi kind and helpful people in this forum, I have an Ipad 1 which remained stuck at loading screen this morning so I followed this guide to restore my ipad to the original factory settings. I downloaded the latest firmware for ipad 1 which was "iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore" and it worked but i continued to the steps where I was told to connect to my wifi or connect to itunes and it failed there. I tried keying in my wifi and it showed me " Activation can take up to 3 mins" which the Ipad then restarts the whole process again by itself, causing a loop. I also encountered an error 3194 but its gone now. Can someone kindly advise me what to do?

Where is the process is it failing? Your post says that the restore worked - or do you mean the download of the IPSW file worked? After you downloaded the file, did you put it into DFU mode so you ca restore that iOS to your iPad?

In other words, as was mentioned, which step of this guide is not working for you...?

Marilyn

kamigreed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where is the process is it failing? Your post says that the restore worked - or do you mean the download of the IPSW file worked? After you downloaded the file, did you put it into DFU mode so you ca restore that iOS to your iPad?

In other words, as was mentioned, which step of this guide is not working for you...?

Marilyn

Sorry about not being specific. The part that worked for me was downloading the latest version for Ipad 1 which I had to put it into DFU mode (Hold Power + Home for 15secs, release power but hold home for another 10 secs) and then finally restoring that IOS to my iPad. The problem is after I've done everything, the iPad shows me a few screens like setting my language, enable location services, setting country and wifi. Then the next screen shows me "Activation may take up to 3 mins" which then restarts back to showing me an apple logo and then the first screen which tells me to select my language again. Hope this information helps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about not being specific. The part that worked for me was downloading the latest version for Ipad 1 which I had to put it into DFU mode (Hold Power + Home for 15secs, release power but hold home for another 10 secs) and then finally restoring that IOS to my iPad. The problem is after I've done everything, the iPad shows me a few screens like setting my language, enable location services, setting country and wifi. Then the next screen shows me "Activation may take up to 3 mins" which then restarts back to showing me an apple logo and then the first screen which tells me to select my language again. Hope this information helps.

What happens if you try to install the backup?

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I dodnt make a backup, i was aiming for a clean factory reset but it failed.

This tutorial instructs users on how to wipe their devices completely. This procedure does not retain data at all, which is why the guide instructs for you to create a backup prior to starting. If you haven't made a backup, unfortunately your data has all been erased.

Instead of a DFU restore, try a recovery mode restore. Turn your iPad off. Hold the home button and power on your device. Keep holding the home button until you see a USB pointing towards the iTunes logo, then release the home button. then hold shift (PC) or command (Mac) and click on Restore, and search for your IPSW just like the tutorial here says

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

Last edited:

kamigreed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I will lose all my data and i have installed the IPSW file already... the problem is with the activation of the iPad. A member of the forum suggested jailbreaking my ipad with absinthe 2.0 and i tried that and it gave me the same problem, " Please activate your iPad" so I think the problem lies in activating the iPad as if I try activating it, it restarts the whole procedure as mentioned.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know I will lose all my data and i have installed the IPSW file already... the problem is with the activation of the iPad. A member of the forum suggested jailbreaking my ipad with absinthe 2.0 and i tried that and it gave me the same problem, " Please activate your iPad" so I think the problem lies in activating the iPad as if I try activating it, it restarts the whole procedure as mentioned.

It's a corruption on the device, hence the recovery mode restoration from the previous post. You can attempt a hard reset of the device and trying it again before restoring it once again.

kamigreed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone and willerz2 for your help in helping me, i appreciate it. Bad news: I went to ask the salesperson at Harvey Norman and he said that this type of problem probably means that my iPad is screwed and theres is no way of restoring it. Well, the good news is that I got a free Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 from my phone contract which kinda replaces the broken iPad.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Usually these issues can be resolved with a DFU restore and re-attempt to activate it. It's possible that your computer is blocking Apple's verification server's connection, which abruptly terminates the activation process.

Thest001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if one attempts to jail break a device ... can he later undo this ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
if one attempts to jail break a device ... can he later undo this ?

Yes.

A jailbroken device can always be returned to stock by restoring the iPad to the latest firmware signed by Apple. This restoration is easily done with iTunes.

Just know that if you restore, the latest firmware may not be jail breakable. This is the case today as the only iOS you can restore with is iOS 7.1. This iOS is not jail breakable.

An iPad can always be put back to stock iOS.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts