What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The speed of the restoration depends on both the computing power of your computer as well as your internet connection at certain points of the restoration process. I've experienced restoring times that ranges from about 3 minutes to as long as an hour and a half to completely restore the device from start to finish. If it's hanging for an absurd amount of time at the same point, I'd recommend ending the process for iTunes and retrying.

aussiebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys have tried this a dozen times now even using a timer on another iPad to get time right but no luck comes up with error codes 2005 or 4014 not always the same but one of those two error codes always had blue screen of death when multiple attempts to backup iPad 2 failed running ios8.0.2 has not backed up since installing 8.0.2 and yes wifi back up was on and worked well before update any other suggestions been to Apple Store told me replace it with refurbished one

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys have tried this a dozen times now even using a timer on another iPad to get time right but no luck comes up with error codes 2005 or 4014 not always the same but one of those two error codes always had blue screen of death when multiple attempts to backup iPad 2 failed running ios8.0.2 has not backed up since installing 8.0.2 and yes wifi back up was on and worked well before update any other suggestions been to Apple Store told me replace it with refurbished one

Error 2000s and 4000s are either device hardware issues, or connectivity issues. I'd use some compressed air to clean out the 30-pin port in case residue is the reason you can't connect to your device.

Are you referring to blue screen on your device, or on your computer.

aussiebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 2000s and 4000s are either device hardware issues, or connectivity issues. I'd use some compressed air to clean out the 30-pin port in case residue is the reason you can't connect to your device.

Are you referring to blue screen on your device, or on your computer.
solid blue screen on ipad2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
solid blue screen on ipad2

That would signify a hardware issue. Unless you can pull up a crash report for it, it's hard to determine the source. If you're still under warranty, swap it for a refurbished one at a local Apple store.

Cheats

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to know the version of my firmware? Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm new to this forum

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How to know the version of my firmware? Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm new to this forum
On your iPad go to Settings>General>About and look at the list where it says Version. This will tell you which firmware version is currently on your iPad.

zedaxax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the initial guide and follow ups.
I kept getting
Error 3194
even after changing to several machines, cables etc, hosts file etc I was at 6.1

How i solved it was out of desperation. I had given up.
Once in dfu mode, i simply clicked "restore ipad", (instead of shift click restore select downloaded .ipsw etc.)
It downloaded and restored perfectly.

I tried this method before in the beginning and it didn't work.
I did change machine, checked hosts file, disabled firewall, was not on wifi, but on cable. Then dfu mode and simply click restore ipad
Hope this helps anyone stuck out there.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 3194 means that you were trying to use an incompatible firmware file to update your device.
I'm glad that you were able to get your iPad restored in the end.

mollayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried everything but I get error 9 every single time. What should I do?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried everything but I get error 9 every single time. What should I do?
It might be a good idea, in fairness to members who could help, and there are a good number here, to start more at the beginning IMO. What iPad are you using with which iOS? What is it you were trying to do that did not work leading you to try "everything"? What did you actually try? Were you trying to upgrade or update your iPad firmware?
A simple googling by you re error 9 would have indicated that your device lost connection during an important function. That is, you could have had hardware issues such as a faulty cable or USB connection to your computer. It could even be a firewall blocking access.
So, please, tell us the story less cryptic and in greater length.
Oh, and welcome to the forum:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

mollayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the lack of info. I am using an Ipad Mini 2 ios 8 and it has not been jailbroken. I wasn't trying to udate it but it got stuck on the apple logo and recovery mode loop after I had turned it off then on. I searched for fixes and I found various suggestions. They said I had to restore and update it so I plugged it in and tried to restore and update my ipad. I always got error 9 so I turned off any program that might block access to itunes servers but I still got error 9. I tried different usb cables but that didn't work either. I tried reinstalling itunes again, it didn't work. I also tried using another computer but it still did not work. Then I found this thread, put my ipad in dfu mode then tried restoring it manually but it still doesn't work. Is there anything else I can do?

((Thanks for the welcome ahaha))

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the lack of info. I am using an Ipad Mini 2 ios 8 and it has not been jailbroken. I wasn't trying to udate it but it got stuck on the apple logo and recovery mode loop after I had turned it off then on. I searched for fixes and I found various suggestions. They said I had to restore and update it so I plugged it in and tried to restore and update my ipad. I always got error 9 so I turned off any program that might block access to itunes servers but I still got error 9. I tried different usb cables but that didn't work either. I tried reinstalling itunes again, it didn't work. I also tried using another computer but it still did not work. Then I found this thread, put my ipad in dfu mode then tried restoring it manually but it still doesn't work. Is there anything else I can do?

((Thanks for the welcome ahaha))

According to Apple, the error 9 code occurs when the device unexpectedly loses its USB connection with the computer.

You've said you've tried everything as suggested by Apple (a different computer, different cables, etc.).

There are a few things I'd recommend you try - but if they don't work, I'd then recommend a trip to the Apple Store.

First, are you using a "genuine" Apple cable? Sometimes, the generic ones can throw off errors.

Are you using the most current version of iTunes? That might make a difference.

Last - have you tried rebooting the computer? Sometimes, computers also need a swift kick in the ... software to get going better. :)

Again, this is all stuff you've probably tried (you're attempts match exactly what Apple recommends). If none of this works, I'm afraid your next step is a physical visit to the Geniuses at an Apple store.

Marilyn

mollayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried both genuine and generic and I still get the same error. I have the latest version of itunes. And I have also tried rebooting my computer. Is there really no other way? The nearest apple store is 2 hours away from where I live and I'm pretty sure the people there would just sell me a new ipad. :(:(:(:(:(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried all the USB ports on the computer? Maybe the one you tried was defective.

Most reactions

Latest posts