1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Tried a screen protector but disgarded it.

Discussion in 'Apple iPad Polls' started by ejbpesca, Aug 15, 2011.

?

What is your status with a screen protector?

1. Tried installing but gave up and either disgarded it or returned it.

23.1%
  2. Installed a screen protector and it works fine.

44.6%
  3. Never installed a screen protector, nor want to.

32.3%
  1. ejbpesca

ejbpesca iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How many of you tried to put a screen protector on your Ipad, gave up, and either just threw it away or returned it to the vendor?
  2. Goober

Goober iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I still have mine on just because I travel a lot and want to protect it. I'd love to know if anyone has a screen protector that works well.
  3. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Have more than 20 iPads in full daily use with staff that travel all over the world and none have screen protectors. No scratches. No damage. Jobs is right - they are not needed to protect the screen.

I put one on my original iPad and threw it away after one day because of the reduced sensitivity.

-t
  4. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have no issues with my screen protector, I will not use my ipad without one and it works perfect with one on.
  5. Dee Ashley

Dee Ashley iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried one. It interfered with the programs on the ipad and looked awful. I removed it and my screen is as it was the day I got the ipad.
  6. diannenet

diannenet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My boss had Ghost Armour put his screen protector on his iPad and it works great! They did it within minutes and they guarantee it. It was a bit pricey (I think it was $50 for front and back protection) but money wasn't an issue for him. He has no issues with sensitivity so far.
  7. Marabou Muddler

Marabou Muddler iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Same here - the protector lasted for about an hour on my original iPad before i ripped it off. Never bothered w/ iPad2. No scratches or other screen problems with either one.
  8. Goober

Goober iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to you both. I might get brave and remove mine soon.
  9. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Never felt the need for one.
  10. diannenet

diannenet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one on my iPad 2 made by MyGear and it is AWESOME! Does not affect the sensitivity at all and super super easy to put on. No bubbles!!!! I bought mine thru Amazon and I got two screen protectors for under $20 so if you are looking for an excellent screen protector just Google MyGear screen protectors. I'm sure I don't need one as it's in a case but I feel better knowing I have a little extra protection.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  11. FryGuy

FryGuy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nope, I don't see the urge to buy a screen protector. I have a Belkin full cover case, so when i'm not using it, its fully protects the screen and when I am using it it's not going to get scratched against anything.
  12. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Yep. I totally agree 100%. Have had mine over a year and not one scratch. Once I was with someone and I could not figure out why his screen was so dull and didn't pop like mine.

He had a screen protector on it. No. No No.:D
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  13. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I use Screen Protectors on all my devices from iPhone to iPad to touchscreen e-reader I have, and always have on all past PDA/Treo/WM-Pocket PC smarthphone devices. (earlier ones were also pointed stylus input). Still, even with capacitive touch screens, I use them. Mine have never interfered. To me, it's not worth the risk-these devices aren't cheap. Apple itself even sells them at least for iPhone-which is supposed to be anti-scratch.
  14. jerihattrick43

jerihattrick43 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tried one - wasn't happy!!! So removed it one day

Sent from my iPad 64GB WiFi 3G - black
  15. Bossman

Bossman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use one on my iPhone and iPad. Maybe I am being over cautious but I would feel too vulnerable if the screen was unprotected.
  16. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    My problem is the bubbles! I can't stand the bubbles and I can't put the screen protector on without getting bubbles!
  17. iLloyd

iLloyd iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Never understood screen protectors for ipads and iphones...

All you are doing is preserving the screen only for someone else's enjoyment?

Its like putting seat covers on the seats in your car? Why? So they are nice, clean and practically brand new when you sell the car?
  18. fre_ber

fre_ber iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I bought my iPad2 I also bought a Belkin Clearscreen protector. As I feared that it would be difficult to put it on, I asked the staff in the shop to put it on for me - they refused. I asked in a few other shops, Apple certified shops, all refused. So I put it on myself with terrible result. Bubbles everywhere, so much that the screen was barely readable. I suffered like this for a while, but eventually I had to pull it off.

There was one additional film in the pack that I had bought and I had read about someone putting water on the screen before applying the film. The denser water makes the bubbles clump together when the film is smoothed out.

I was a bit apprehensive about this, but finally got brave enough to try. I put some water on the screen and applied the second film. The result is excellent! I admit that I still have two small bubbles that I can't get rid of, but they are both outside the screen area. The screen itself looks as when it was new and I haven't even removed the cover film yet. I have no problems with sensitivity even though I currently have two layers of film on the screen.

The top layer was never meant to stay on and now, after a few weeks, that has a few scratches. But the screen is so much clearer now than after my first attempt that I will leave this cover on until it gets annoying. After that I can remove it and have a screen looking brand new again and still have a protective film on.
  19. yhjohn

yhjohn iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I originally didn't have one either having heard and believing that the screen is scratch-proof...until I got a scratch 'artwork' by my 10mo old son! It's quite deep and about 4 inches long. (sobs)

Hence I joined this forum looking for ways to remove the scratch, but had no luck.

The screen protector I put on afterwards doesn't make the screen dull. Can't remember the brand name.
    Just wish I had the protector before the accident!
  20. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    I use a screen protector. I installed before I initially hooked up to iTunes, so nothing has ever touched the screen. Apart from a couple of tiny bubbles I don't know it's there. It's also durable. The pack contained two, and I'm still using the first one after 4 months of daily use.

I don't know whether the screen is scratchproof and I don't care to find out.

The tablet lives in a hard leather case from which it is never removed, so no dings or scratches there either.