What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried a screen protector but disgarded it.

What is your status with a screen protector?

• Total voters

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem is the bubbles! I can't stand the bubbles and I can't put the screen protector on without getting bubbles!

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never understood screen protectors for ipads and iphones...

All you are doing is preserving the screen only for someone else's enjoyment?

Its like putting seat covers on the seats in your car? Why? So they are nice, clean and practically brand new when you sell the car?

fre_ber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought my iPad2 I also bought a Belkin Clearscreen protector. As I feared that it would be difficult to put it on, I asked the staff in the shop to put it on for me - they refused. I asked in a few other shops, Apple certified shops, all refused. So I put it on myself with terrible result. Bubbles everywhere, so much that the screen was barely readable. I suffered like this for a while, but eventually I had to pull it off.

There was one additional film in the pack that I had bought and I had read about someone putting water on the screen before applying the film. The denser water makes the bubbles clump together when the film is smoothed out.

I was a bit apprehensive about this, but finally got brave enough to try. I put some water on the screen and applied the second film. The result is excellent! I admit that I still have two small bubbles that I can't get rid of, but they are both outside the screen area. The screen itself looks as when it was new and I haven't even removed the cover film yet. I have no problems with sensitivity even though I currently have two layers of film on the screen.

The top layer was never meant to stay on and now, after a few weeks, that has a few scratches. But the screen is so much clearer now than after my first attempt that I will leave this cover on until it gets annoying. After that I can remove it and have a screen looking brand new again and still have a protective film on.

yhjohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Yep. I totally agree 100%. Have had mine over a year and not one scratch. Once I was with someone and I could not figure out why his screen was so dull and didn't pop like mine.

He had a screen protector on it. No. No No.:D

Well, I originally didn't have one either having heard and believing that the screen is scratch-proof...until I got a scratch 'artwork' by my 10mo old son! It's quite deep and about 4 inches long. (sobs)

Hence I joined this forum looking for ways to remove the scratch, but had no luck.

The screen protector I put on afterwards doesn't make the screen dull. Can't remember the brand name.
Just wish I had the protector before the accident!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a screen protector. I installed before I initially hooked up to iTunes, so nothing has ever touched the screen. Apart from a couple of tiny bubbles I don't know it's there. It's also durable. The pack contained two, and I'm still using the first one after 4 months of daily use.

I don't know whether the screen is scratchproof and I don't care to find out.

The tablet lives in a hard leather case from which it is never removed, so no dings or scratches there either.

beesy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
screen protector for Ipad 2

How many of you tried to put a screen protector on your Ipad, gave up, and either just threw it away or returned it to the vendor?

never try to put on these screen protectors, take to verizon or att.. they will do it free.

Last edited:

sockareng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the input... I tried a screen protector on a phone I had and hated it... what do you use to clean you screen with ?:D

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sockareng said:
Thank you for the input... I tried a screen protector on a phone I had and hated it... what do you use to clean you screen with ?:D

Micro-fibre cloth. No cleaner fluid just the cloth. works brilliant

OP
E

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad for months now with heavy use. I have found no need for a protector.

IpadGeekTron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, i've had mine now about 6 months and no scratches. I think the glass is " gorilla glass" and suppose to be scratch proof. I only have a magnetic cover on mine. Its easy to forget sometime that you do have to take care when using your IPAD for so many daily uses. I think i will get another case that completely covers it.

Vernon98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have mine on just because I travel a lot and want to protect it.

Snowflake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a screen protector because hand cream does leave iPad screen very greasy! Not as good as real thing but saves a lot of wiping! Snowflake.

Most reactions