What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound volume randomly goes to max

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same thing is happening here with the volume and now the icon is stuck on the screen. It goes away when I manually press the side switches but instantly fights with me to go back up and reappear. I've only had the iPad for a month and my kids mostly use it to watch videos on so the volume suddenly blaring is an issue. Assume both you guys took it back to the shop. Will give apple a call and do the same, I imagine. You can't even mute... It overrides the mute switch! And in the settings any volume button moves on its own wherever on the screen - in the double click the button one, in the settings, restrictions etc. very frustrating!

Brookot--along with all the info gathered here, have you tried to do some of the immediate fixes. I didn't see that you mentioned that you tried the following...but give it a try as well.

Have you tried to do the following?

1. Force the app to close?
2. Try to restart your iPad?
3. Try to do a reset?

You can try this in order, if an app becomes misbehaves...

Force the app to close down by pushing the home button twice or by doing a 4-finger swipe to bring up your multi-task bar. This will show all the apps that you have visited. Press the app, until it begins to shake. Close out the apps by pressing the red circle in each app. It will only quit the app and not delete. Than try to re-open the app and test out.

If that doesn't work, restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Third is to do a reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

xxfiretearsxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mines doing that lately too, it’s the iPad Pro and it’s brand new.. got it last week

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven’t seen it happen lately, but in the past small dents or other defromation near the volume buttons have been known to cause the volume to go to minimum or maximum. If the iPad is still under warenttee it is best to let Apple adress the issue. If not, and you can see the deformation, careful (very careful) use of tools to to unbend/dent the ipad often fixes the problem.

Another common cause is a paired bluetooth keyboard. Many of them have volume keys, and if you forget it’s paired, and something gets set on the keyboard, unexpected things can happen.

Leeleesai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since a week or two, i have the sound volume going to the max over and over again, randomly. The little screen in the middle pops op and the volume bar runs up from left to right. The only way to get rid of this little screen is to lower the volume with the button on the side of the ipad. The sound switch is in the off position. Switching itnhas no effect. I dont care for sound much, i use the ipad for my work and to read internet and or books. Lately i am pressing the volume button a lot just the get rid of the volume screen.

I have reset the ipad, by pressing the buttons 10 seconds as described in the manual. I used the reset function via itunes. All that has not fixed this pronlem. Last resort is to go back to factory setting, did not work, last chance looks like emptying it and not setting back the backup. Changes in the setting, like switching off search for wifi, pushmessages etc, did not help as well.

Anyone a suggestions for me how to fix this?

Appreciating any help i can get.
My iPad 2 has been doing the same thing for a couple of years now. I’ve realized that it’s more prone to randomly turning up the volume if the battery is under half way charged. I do have a super cheap and easy fix for the problem though. Use a clothes pin, chip clip, or even rubber band to put pressure around the center of the volume rocker. It’s not a pretty solution but it really does work. Sometimes if the iPad is feeling particularly cranky- low on charge- it can be very particular in the placement needed of the pressure. Hope this helps

Last edited:

JacobReturnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thign happens to me but my sound only goes either to max or to the lowest which is really annoying but that sound box doesnt stay for me for some reason

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While this seems an oldish thread, may I add an observation.

Sometimes apps can change the volume, automatically but based on a manual setting from weeks before, but then not reset the volume when closed. Solitaire, turning sound off, used to do this on our iPad. It took me a while of trial and error to work out what was happening.

Most reactions