Sound volume randomly goes to max

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Wouter, Sep 17, 2011.

1. TheRambler

TheRambler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Just one thing that hasn't been checked, do you get a definate click when you press the side volume button up and also when you press down, just wondering if your button is sticking in the up position?!

2. Wouter

Wouter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Nope, not stuck. I can use it either way. It does get stuck when it has its mind on its own. It than only works in the volume down direction.

3. Wouter

Wouter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Still the same problem here. Last resort, installing latest io and hope for the best. Have you solved this problem? Otherwise its back to the store i supose.

4. Brookot

Brookot
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Same here... :(

Same thing is happening here with the volume and now the icon is stuck on the screen. It goes away when I manually press the side switches but instantly fights with me to go back up and reappear. I've only had the iPad for a month and my kids mostly use it to watch videos on so the volume suddenly blaring is an issue. Assume both you guys took it back to the shop. Will give apple a call and do the same, I imagine. You can't even mute... It overrides the mute switch! And in the settings any volume button moves on its own wherever on the screen - in the double click the button one, in the settings, restrictions etc. very frustrating!

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, welcome to iPF!

Some time ago, another member had a similar problem. Perhaps there is something that could help you solve your problem in this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/110737-sound-effects-icon.html

#15 J. A., Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Brookot--along with all the info gathered here, have you tried to do some of the immediate fixes. I didn't see that you mentioned that you tried the following...but give it a try as well.

Have you tried to do the following?

1. Force the app to close?
    2. Try to restart your iPad?
    3. Try to do a reset?

You can try this in order, if an app becomes misbehaves...

Force the app to close down by pushing the home button twice or by doing a 4-finger swipe to bring up your multi-task bar. This will show all the apps that you have visited. Press the app, until it begins to shake. Close out the apps by pressing the red circle in each app. It will only quit the app and not delete. Than try to re-open the app and test out.

If that doesn't work, restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Third is to do a reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

7. xxfiretearsxx

xxfiretearsxx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Mines doing that lately too, it’s the iPad Pro and it’s brand new.. got it last week

8. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend taking it back for warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can also call Apple telephone technical support. you get 90 days free as part of the standard warranty.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I haven’t seen it happen lately, but in the past small dents or other defromation near the volume buttons have been known to cause the volume to go to minimum or maximum. If the iPad is still under warenttee it is best to let Apple adress the issue. If not, and you can see the deformation, careful (very careful) use of tools to to unbend/dent the ipad often fixes the problem.

Another common cause is a paired bluetooth keyboard. Many of them have volume keys, and if you forget it’s paired, and something gets set on the keyboard, unexpected things can happen.