What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound volume randomly goes to max

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since a week or two, i have the sound volume going to the max over and over again, randomly. The little screen in the middle pops op and the volume bar runs up from left to right. The only way to get rid of this little screen is to lower the volume with the button on the side of the ipad. The sound switch is in the off position. Switching itnhas no effect. I dont care for sound much, i use the ipad for my work and to read internet and or books. Lately i am pressing the volume button a lot just the get rid of the volume screen.

I have reset the ipad, by pressing the buttons 10 seconds as described in the manual. I used the reset function via itunes. All that has not fixed this pronlem. Last resort is to go back to factory setting, did not work, last chance looks like emptying it and not setting back the backup. Changes in the setting, like switching off search for wifi, pushmessages etc, did not help as well.

Anyone a suggestions for me how to fix this?

Appreciating any help i can get.

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like you've already done a ton of troubleshooting. I don't have any other ideas and if no one else pops in with any, my next suggestion would be to call Apple!

Mistress of Mischief

OP
W

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:) i gues i will have to resort to that Missy.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you checked all your settings? The mute switch can be changed to screen position lock.
You can also double click the home button and swipe the lower row to the right until you see the sound bar. Just tap the home button to get the lower row to slide away. This bar is also where you turn off apps.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting to sound like a hardware problem. Either a funky volume switch, or internal trouble. I haven't heard of the volume running up by its self anywhere else. You might be in for a trip to the apple store for a possible replacement.

OP
W

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Czevski said:
Have you checked all your settings? The mute switch can be changed to screen position lock.
You can also double click the home button and swipe the lower row to the right until you see the sound bar. Just tap the home button to get the lower row to slide away. This bar is also where you turn off apps.

Thanks for the advise, i will check these option out. If it solves the problem i will let you know.

OP
W

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Starting to sound like a hardware problem. Either a funky volume switch, or internal trouble. I haven't heard of the volume running up by its self anywhere else. You might be in for a trip to the apple store for a possible replacement.

Hi jeeper, it seems to look that way. Strange, the ipad has not been used abnormally, no throwing it arround or any other disasterous thing happened. I will check out some other option i just got in here. If ist works, i will report it here, if not, that i have to get it back to the store.

gadawg94

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same thing is happening to me except that it is the volume going all the way DOWN for me. Same situation though. Box pops up and volume slider goes all the way down but then box stays in the middle of my screen until I touch the volume rocker to turn it up manually. Of course within 5 min it happens again. Ive done a reset and a restore as well. Just curious if you found an answer or ended up going to the apple store?

OP
W

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gadawg94 said:
The same thing is happening to me except that it is the volume going all the way DOWN for me. Same situation though. Box pops up and volume slider goes all the way down but then box stays in the middle of my screen until I touch the volume rocker to turn it up manually. Of course within 5 min it happens again. Ive done a reset and a restore as well. Just curious if you found an answer or ended up going to the apple store?

No answer jet. Thanks for your note, now i dont feel alone anymore. Sorry! No solution jet. Many i speak about this tel me it looks like hardware failure.

I want to do one more test myself. I will bring my ipad back to the factory settings and take all apps and files offnthat did not come with the ipad. Than it should be like new. If the problem ocures again, than its definately an ipad problem, to be solved by apple. I will return mine to the shop for repair or replaced. I have not a jailbrake on it, so all i have done with it sofar is on the up and up applewise.

I appreciate it if you find an onther solution, if you let me know in this forum. I will do the same until its fixed either way. Our problem seems to be the same problem.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a hardware issue. I had exactly the same thing on my iPhone4 and it was a short in the hardware. Apple store replaced it immediately. There is nothing I know of in the software that can cause this sort of problem. I suggest you take it into a store and explain the problem. They will likely replace it on the spot.

OP
W

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, not stuck. I can use it either way. It does get stuck when it has its mind on its own. It than only works in the volume down direction.

OP
W

Wouter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still the same problem here. Last resort, installing latest io and hope for the best. Have you solved this problem? Otherwise its back to the store i supose.

Brookot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here... :(

Same thing is happening here with the volume and now the icon is stuck on the screen. It goes away when I manually press the side switches but instantly fights with me to go back up and reappear. I've only had the iPad for a month and my kids mostly use it to watch videos on so the volume suddenly blaring is an issue. Assume both you guys took it back to the shop. Will give apple a call and do the same, I imagine. You can't even mute... It overrides the mute switch! And in the settings any volume button moves on its own wherever on the screen - in the double click the button one, in the settings, restrictions etc. very frustrating!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same thing is happening here with the volume and now the icon is stuck on the screen. It goes away when I manually press the side switches but instantly fights with me to go back up and reappear. I've only had the iPad for a month and my kids mostly use it to watch videos on so the volume suddenly blaring is an issue. Assume both you guys took it back to the shop. Will give apple a call and do the same, I imagine. You can't even mute... It overrides the mute switch! And in the settings any volume button moves on its own wherever on the screen - in the double click the button one, in the settings, restrictions etc. very frustrating!

Hi, welcome to iPF!

Some time ago, another member had a similar problem. Perhaps there is something that could help you solve your problem in this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/110737-sound-effects-icon.html

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts