What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3rd gen sound only works when it's charging

Jbraz7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 3rd gen. The sound works on an off randomly while not charging but never works for more than a second. Also you can't change the volume with the side button during this, it only works during the short working periods. When I plug it in to charge, it works flawlessly even the side volume button. Using the headphone jack doesn't matter the same results occur. I've reset it about 4 times now with no changes. I've cleaned the charging and headphone ports and my battery seems to be fine holds a charge for a good long while. Any suggestions?

OP
J

Jbraz7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, just plugging in the charge cable with no power doesn't work. It has to be actually charging.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also see if it's paried with any bluetooth audio device (Settings > Bluetooth). Erratic speaker activity is sometimes due to a bluetooth speaker or headphone device coming in and out of range. Given your description I don't think this is likely, but it's worth checking, and the only thing I can think of that hasn't already been covered by Brian.

OP
J

Jbraz7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried reinstalling iOS via iTunes and no luck. Also checked for Bluetooth devices and that's not the problem either.. any other suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nothing here. It is sounding like a hardware issue. If you have an Apple Store nearby they will run a free diagostic and let you know how much it would cost to fix. If you don't like their price you can try third party repairs; best to choose a certified shop, or one with a proven record.

Then again, it's an iPad 3. If you can afford it a new iPad will be a big jump in performance

Most reactions

Latest posts