1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

restore ipad from shsh or regular restore+jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by bdaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bdaddy

bdaddy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, I'm a little confused. My ipad is running 3.2, jailbroke using spirit, backed up my shsh files to cydia as well as local, and things have been running fine for some time.

When connecting to itunes (now 9.2) via Mac and I notice my "OTHER" section for disk space has grown and now accounts for 4.08 GB of data. This is pretty significant for a 32GB ipad. I was hoping to clear this up and only way I can think of is to do a restore. First question is, is that the best step? or another way to clear out this "other" data?

And if restore is the best approach, do I need to use my shsh files to do a restore? (if so, is there a guide with instructions how to do this?) Or can I just do a restore from itunes in normal manner, and then re-jailbreak afterwards (which I assume means I have to downgrade to itunes 9.1 and jailbreak with spirit again).

I know shsh was introduced to allow you to downgrade if apple released a new version of firmware, but I'm not sure the ipad has (is the 3.2 I jailbroke still the latest release of firmware for the ipad?). So not sure if I need to use shsh files, and if so I find plenty of guides on how to back them up, but not many on how to actually use them.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    you can perform a restore and then use the updated spirit jb that works with itunes 9.2.

But those other files are probably something that you have added to your ipad.
    Do you have anything install on your ipad like the safari download plugin that lets you download files from the web?

also if you perform a backup after restore to get all your settings and everything, these other files could be put pack onto the ipad.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  3. bdaddy

bdaddy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've tried to figure out what exactly they could be, but no real luck..I don't really download anything other than books/pdfs and those are accounted for space-wise. No plug in to download videos, etc. from the web. I have some guitar tabs, but just a few and they're small size as well. Nothing in the magnitude of 4 GB anyways.
  4. RobertBasil

RobertBasil iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

The updated Spirit jb is windows only. He is on a Mac.