What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

restore downgrade issue

bdaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used spirit jailbreak on ipad and backed up my shsh files to cydia, but now having problems and want to restore to my original shsh backup.

On my mac, I'm now trying to do a restore and understand I need to connect to cydia for my shsh files to restore. I've followed steps online, but still having issues..see steps below. What am I missing?

- edited etc/hosts file to point to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
- connected my ipad to my mac
- hold down power/home button on ipad until I get message in itunes saying "itunes has detected ipad in recovery mode"
- at this point if I hit "restore" or "command button + restore" in itunes I'm presented with the message "are you sure you want to restore to factory settings", I hit "restore and update" and I'm presented with message "IOS 3.2.2 software update from ipad".

Isn't this wrong? I should be connecting to cydia to restore my 3.2 update, not connecting to apple to restore to 3.2.2, right? So what am I doing wrong in the process? Any help appreciated..thx!

Here's my hosts file contents:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

OP
B

bdaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure I understand: when I'm prompted with "IOS 3.2.2 software update from ipad", I should just hit "next" instead of "cancel"? (I hit cancel because I don't want to install 3.2.2, but are you saying I need to hit "next" to get to the option to choose which firmware to download?)

Andymyrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forget what button it is on a Mac but if you press the button it will bring up downloads which gives you the option to choose what firmware you want to choose from. But you will need to download the 3.2.1 firmware from the Internet

Most reactions

Latest posts