What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POP email on iPad?

Aximtreo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to setup a pop email account to work on iPad? I am new to Apple after many frustrating months trying to get Droid and Outlook to sync without having to put everything up on the Google server; not going to do that.;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you can easily use pop accounts on the iPad. Not much different than setting it up on a PC.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to setup a pop email account to work on iPad? I am new to Apple after many frustrating months trying to get Droid and Outlook to sync without having to put everything up on the Google server; not going to do that.;)

I have a Droid and have no problems with my pop email at all.

I have both gmail & pop mail on my Droid.

Cya

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you can easily use pop accounts on the iPad. Not much different than setting it up on a PC.

Is there any control over whether msgs are retained or deleted from the server?

I think so, but I haven't looked hard enough. As far as I can tell, though, iPad doesnt delete my fetched mail from the server like Outlook. At least not yet!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com

Is there any control over whether msgs are retained or deleted from the server?

probably better off using the imap server instead of the pop server

I use the imap server instead of the pop server, so that I can view my emails on any device, be it pc, iphone or ipad, once read, it will show as read on all devices, if I delete an email on one device, it will no longer show up on any other devices.

haven't used pop in a quite a while, but I think there is a setting to tell it not to delete it off the server

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:
How do you do it? I can't find it!

Instructions:

Choose Settings
Choose mail accounts accounts tab
Choose account to modify
Choose Advanced tab
Set whether you want the messages deleted, retained, or kept for x amount of days.

DoreneM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.dorenemartin.com
I've done all that, but it doesn't seem to work for me. My iPad-deleted messages still show up on my pc email. And sometimes my messages on my iPad come back again, even after I've deleted them.
Is the "Use SSL" supposed to be in the "ON" position?
It's just not working the way I imagined it would....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done all that, but it doesn't seem to work for me. My iPad-deleted messages still show up on my pc email. And sometimes my messages on my iPad come back again, even after I've deleted them.
Is the "Use SSL" supposed to be in the "ON" position?
It's just not working the way I imagined it would....
It sounds like you're using a POP3 email client. If you change it to an IMAP client you won't have those issues. Here's a recent post answering a similar question, see if it doesn't address yours...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...eokf-business-user-ipad-2-a-2.html#post321802

With regard to using SSL, that's simply a security function of the mail server. Whether it should be on or off depends on what your server (probably your ISP - Internet Service Provider) recommends or requires. Generally speaking it would be on, but that won't have any impact on your email issues.

This tutorial from Apple about setting up email on the iPad might help as well:

Apple - Support - iPad - Mail Assistant

More about setting up email accounts here too:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1277

Last edited:

Loopylynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to set up my email using iMac (ntl/virgin) I have tried following instructions off virgin site and various other website instructions to no avail, any ideas. Thansk

Most reactions

Latest posts