What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help with email setup

purplePaws

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got a new ipad 2, and setup my clear.net.nz email account following their instructions on their website.

When I try to get the email it says there is a problem with the pop account. I have tried pop3 and IMAP. IMAP is not supported by email provider so I have put it back to pop. I have re-entered the password many times.
Before this issue I had a problem with the SMTP and since resetting the ipad and setting up the email again, it is now the sending that has the issue. It is setup as a pop email.
I have turned off all other servers, I have turned them on, I have compared it to my iphone4s mail settings which are exactly the same and I have no issues.
I have no iTunes to sync it with or iCloud.
Can anyone think of anything I have missed?
I have been given the advice to a gmail account but have my current email for years and do not want to change.
Thank you very much.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) I visited the Clear.net website and looked at the information on setting up the iPad w/ a POP3 account (seems to be the only option) - attached is one pic from their directions - just make sure that your 'username' does not include the @..... extension in both the POP & SMTP entries (I'm sure that you've already checked that repeatedly).

Also, since you have multiple devices POP3 is an older protocol (vs. IMAP) that was more appropriate when downloading mail to one computer or device was much more common - routinely email was removed from the server once sent to the other device - IMAP leaves the messages on the server, so viewing on multiple computers/devices would be possible; if you want that feature, check your account to see if even in POP3, there is a setting that mimics IMAP.

If none of this is helpful, then you may have to contact your ISP - if not already done, a 'Reset' again of the iPad will not hurt (Reset uses both buttons) - good luck - Dave
. Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 10.55.17 AM.png

OP
P

purplePaws

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.
I definitely didn't have @ in the settings of the pop and SMTP, but what do you mean by making sure pop hasn't mimicked the IMAP?
I am about to do a reset again, so fingers crossed.

OP
P

purplePaws

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.
I definitely didn't have @ in the settings of the pop and SMTP, but what do you mean by making sure pop hasn't mimicked the IMAP?
I am about to do a reset again, so fingers crossed.

Hi again Dave, just thought I would let you that I reset the iPad and followed all instructions again, it asked me to set up without SSL and I said yes, eventually it went through and now it works :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Dave, just thought I would let you that I reset the iPad and followed all instructions again, it asked me to set up without SSL and I said yes, eventually it went through and now it works :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Hi again - out of town for a day so sorry about the delayed response; BUT, glad that all is working correctly. What I meant about POP3 mimicking IMAP, is that if you signed into your ISP's webmail site, there might be a 'tick box' for POP3 to keep the messages on their server once downloaded to your device(s) - that has been a major issue w/ this older POP protocol, i.e. once users obtained multiple devices to retrieve their emails, then leaving the messages in a 'central' location became more important. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts