What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

email on iPad 2 independent of PC

FredRL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very new to the iPad and am having trouble understanding how to set up the email facility the way I want it. I am hoping it is possible to set up an email account that is related solely to the iPad and has no connection with the email setup on my PC. Is this possible? I do not want to sync the email on the iPad with the email system on my PC. When I go into the email setup on the iPad it asks for details of my existing email account on my PC but this seems inappropriate in relation to what I am trying to achieve. Any advice for an octogenarian padder?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should have typed this first: Welcome to the forum. Good to see you here!

How about you just creat a new gmail account - just for the iPad?

You'd have to create it at Google, but once you have it set up, you can then hook it to the iPad's Mail app.

That's what I did for my mom's iPad2 - mainly because I wanted to be able to e-mail from the iPad2 if I needed to.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
F

FredRL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion, Marilyn, it sounds fine .................

Except(!) I do not know how to "hook it into the iPad's Mail App.

I can readily see how to open agmail account on my PC - but what then?

Hope you can help further.

Regards.

Fred

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, no problems. I'm going to assume you have established a Gmail account for the iPad, 'kay?

1) In the Settings app of your iPad, in the left column, select "Mail, Contacts, Calendars."
2) On the right side, select "Add Account..."
3) Select "Gmail"
4) Fill in the blocks available:

• Name: Your name
  • Address: The full Gmail address you are adding
  • Password: Your password for that Gmail address/account
  • Description: Something to ID which e-mail it is
5) Then select the "Next" button.
6) You'll wait a bit while it verifies your account, then you'll be presented with options to have the account sync e-mail, calendars and notes with Google. Pick one or all and press save.

That's it! Now, e-mails sent to that account will show up on the iPad.

Some more tips:

A) While you are there, in the Settings app (Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars), select the e-mail account you just added. At the bottom of the pop-up, you'll see an option to turn on/off "Archive Messages." If you want to actually delete messages, turn this off. Else, Google will archive them when you remove them from your Inbox (and, truthfully, I don't really know where archived messages go!).

B) Still in the Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars area: Scroll down the right hand side until you come to a line that reads "Default Account." If you press on it, you'll be offered the option to select which email account (should you have more than one loaded) you wish to use as default. As you said you wish to use this new Gmail account for the iPad, I suggest you select it (if there are more than one).

Now, you should be all set up and able to send/receive e-mails from within the iPad's Mail app.

A word of warning. The Gmail account is an IMAP account, which means it synchs with Google via the internet. So, if you delete something from your iPad Mail account, it will delete from Google (and vice versa). Just something to be aware of...

Let me know if you need more. Good luck.

Marilyn

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 5 email accounts on my iPad.

I recently added my wife's account that I normally keep disabled unless she needs it.

Using imap or exchange settings for email eliminates the need to sync with a PC.

It automagically does it for you.

Once I added my email to my iPad I rarely do email on my PC. The iPad mail app is sweet!

OP
F

FredRL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn:

Thank you so much for your detailed help - all is now sorted and running fine. I believe that sites such as this - and people such as you - are what enable the world of technology to keep turning (and certainly for "oldies" such as me!). Many, many thanks

Fred.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Yahoo mail on the net. For quick access I used the trick of putting an icon on the iPad. In Safari with the mail account open, tap the arrow out of the box and choose add to home screen. Just one tap and your online mail is open.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn:

Thank you so much for your detailed help - all is now sorted and running fine. I believe that sites such as this - and people such as you - are what enable the world of technology to keep turning (and certainly for "oldies" such as me!). Many, many thanks

Fred.

My pleasure. Glad we got it sorted.

Enjoy your iPad and browsing the forums. And, don't hesitate to ask more questions - it's how we all learn about our wonderful "toy."

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts