What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help setting up Charter POP email

raduray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using WiFi connection, I am unable to set up a POP connection to Charter. I’ve tried the settings suggested by Charter:
pop.charter.net:110
smtp.charter.net:25

I’ve also tried the settings that work on my Droid X:
mail.charterinternet.com:110
smtp.charterinternet.com:25

In all cases I get a “server not responding” message.

I prefer POP over IMAP because I want to be able to delete a message on the iPAD without deleting it on the server.

Please don’t tell me to get a GMAIL account. I already have one and really don’t like the Google paradigm – much prefer Outlook.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't really help with the question, but I have a suggestion about how to use IMAP, if that ends up being what you need to do.

Instead of deleting emails on the iPad, move them to a folder. You can create as many folders as you like, using the web client. They will sync with the iPad, giving you a way of keeping your inbox clean, while saving the emails you like, and they will remain available both on the iPad and on whatever other device or computer you need them.

OP
R

raduray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't really help with the question, but I have a suggestion about how to use IMAP, if that ends up being what you need to do.

Instead of deleting emails on the iPad, move them to a folder. You can create as many folders as you like, using the web client. They will sync with the iPad, giving you a way of keeping your inbox clean, while saving the emails you like, and they will remain available both on the iPad and on whatever other device or computer you need them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really clear on how IMAP works, but doesn't it also remove it from the server when I get an email on my iPad? I also want to be able to get and store the same email on my desktop system when I get home later in the day.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really clear on how IMAP works, but doesn't it also remove it from the server when I get an email on my iPad? I also want to be able to get and store the same email on my desktop system when I get home later in the day.

With IMAP, everything gets changed on the server. So yes, if you delete the email on the iPad, then it gets deleted everywhere. But this is also true if you move it to a folder on the server. It gets moved to that folder for your other devices or computer too.

So, if you created a folder on the server, say name it 'For Later', instead of deleting the emails on the iPad, you move them to that folder. When you get home (you want to set that computer up as IMAP as well, if you aren't using the web client) you just open that folder and review the emails.

You could even do a bit pre organization. Delete the stuff you know you really don't want, move the maybe stuff to the For Later folder, and move other stuff to appropriate folders right away. Say you had a folder for Family, and another for Business Contacts. You could save them right then and there, and they would be available in those same folders when you got home.

The way to think of IMAP is that everything is on the server, and stays there, so no matter what device you use you see exactly the same stuff when you go to email.

There are exceptions. If you use a computer client (instead of web mail) you may have local folders on the computer. If you move stuff to them they will no longer be available on the iPad, or via the web. Local folders and IMAP folders are usually kept separate. You just need to recognize which are which.

Last edited:
OP
R

raduray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet, that is the best explanation of IMAP I've seen posted! I think I'll give it a try.
Thanks!

OP
R

raduray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My charter POP account is mail.charter.net not pop.charter.net
Charter Tech Support told me to use pop.charter.net. In any case, I did try mail.charter.net as well and that didn't work either.

Most reactions

Latest posts