What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

change imap to pop account

jaybird511jh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we got the new ipad2 and the email account we have will not pull up on the ipad2 thru the wireless network. So we set up the email on gmail to automatically to receive the first email. The problem is is that the gmail on the ipad2 is setup using imap and it needs to be a pop account. how do you change on the ipad2 from imap to pop account so that the gmail will get the first email.

confused? this 60 year old is. pleaseeeee help

jaybird511jh

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You can't change a account on the iphone from imap to pop, you need to create a new account with the correct POP details, however my question would be why the 'need' for POP? Gmail is probably much more useful setup as imap (even better if you setup as exchange because you get contacts syncing).

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we got the new ipad2 and the email account we have will not pull up on the ipad2 thru the wireless network. So we set up the email on gmail to automatically to receive the first email. The problem is is that the gmail on the ipad2 is setup using imap and it needs to be a pop account. how do you change on the ipad2 from imap to pop account so that the gmail will get the first email.

confused? this 60 year old is. pleaseeeee help

jaybird511jh
Welcome to the forum! I strongly agree with DefBref, you really do not want to set up a POP3 mail account. POP is old and not nearly as versatile as IMAP. I have four IMAP accounts working perfectly on the iPad, so you just need to set your up properly.

If you already have an email account, even if it's a POP account, you can easily set it up to work directly on the iPad...no need to make it go through Gmail (unless you have another reason for that besides getting it to work on the iPad).

If you've already tried setting mail accounts up without success it's probably best to delete any/all of them and start fresh.

Here's how to set things up, but if you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for assistance...there are a lot of great people here more than willing to help.

Apple - Support - iPad - Mail Assistant

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To set GMail up as a POP account you'd need to use the Other option and follow whatever instructions Google provides; if they provide any. I've never looked.

Better to enable IMAP in your Google account, then delete and re-add the GMail account on the iPad. I would also change any computer software to use the IMAP servers, in order to keep things from getting confused.

You need to enable IMAP by going to Mail via the website and choosing Mail Settings. Here are the default IMAP settings. They work well with the iPad and just about any other mobile device.

Attachments

• GMailSettings.jpg
    GMailSettings.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 769

headhog70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi jaybird511jh,

Did you ever get your accounts switched to POP? I just did it. Send me a private message if you still need help.

Bob

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
headhog70 said:
Hi jaybird511jh,

Did you ever get your accounts switched to POP? I just did it. Send me a private message if you still need help.

Bob

Why do it by pm? The information would be useful to anybody who has a similar problem and comes across this thread. Help the community as a whole and post what you did here in the open.

Most reactions

Latest posts