What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
General

A couple thoughts. Because ZAGG is a publicly traded company, I cannot discuss actual numbers of ZAGGmates sold. Those numbers will be available when we announce earnings. What I can say for now is that it is high. The number of issues we've had is very low in comparison. That being said, if you are someone who had an issue, I know it must be frustrating. However, many of the "issues" have turned out to be customers not knowing how to pair correctly, or the iPad software acting strange. Both very easy fixes with a check of the FAQs or a call to customer service. In the very rare cases where a ZAGGmate needs to be exchanged, we've done it right away. ZAGG's customer service is fantastic. In answer to the RMA comment above, no need to go through your vendor. Just call ZAGG.

Rgarding the comment about the back of your iPad being exposed and not having a way to attach the iPad upside down, those were both design considerations most people love. Remember, the back of most people's MacBook is "exposed" too. And no, we didn't want some sort of strap or something forcing the ZAGGmate to come along with you when all you want is the iPad in your hand. The idea of the iPad clipping into the ZAGGmate upside down just won't work with the rounded back on the iPad. A flat back would change that. Both of your thoughts and observations are thoughtful and right on, so please don't think I'm attacking. One product will never be perfect for all. Think sports car and SUV. Keep your eyes open. We will have different models to address different users' needs. Thanks again for the feedback.

Wacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer to go directly to Zagg, I will do that when they open monday morning and I will post my experience to the forum. I cant resist making a comment, especially when you appear to be blaming the customer or IPad in your note. This is a dangerious tack because in my case the spilled glue is an assembly problem. Not the only one in the world, beleive me. I retired from the automobile industry, and we never made a bad car. That is why the foreign makers have taken over.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a parrot - I, too, am having zero trouble with my Zaggmate. I'e used it every day since I bought it and have not once regretted my decision.

Granted, there have been a few issues with this, but if you look through the whole thread, you'll see a lot more satisfied customers than not. There's going to be glitches, yet Zagg has been right there to help those individuals. I give even higher marks to their customer service...

It's as kc2ped said - the people who are pleased with the product aren"t going to go on about how great it is. Can you imagine how dull a thread would be if it contained all "me likes too" quotes?

I stick by my original review: This is an awesome bit of kit!

Marilyn

I'm also very happy with mine. Although I had some initial problems, I'm now happy with my purchase.

I DO have some things to say about it, though.

First, it's exactly what I wanted: a small package that protects the screen and includes a keyboard that I can carry with me at all times. I originally bought the Apple keyboard dock, but found myself leaving it at home because it wasn't convenient to carry it with me. Now I will likely sell the old one.

Second, although the product is exactly what I want, I think it is priced too high for what it is. I think it should be more in the $60 - $70 range. However, since there is nothing else on the market like it, and it's what I want, I don't feel bad paying the $100 I did. Even so, I wish it was cheaper.

Third, I wish the support hinge had varying angles, like the version without the keyboard. Even if I had to turn the keyboard around and use it backwards. I don't always want my iPad to be so steeply angled. Sometimes I want to use the case/keyboard as a stand without using the keyboard.

And lastly, one of the first things I tried when I got my ZAGG/mate was check to see if it would hold the iPad with the screen facing upward, so I could use it as a base when not using the keyboard. It didn't work, but I didn't see how the case/keyboard could have been designed to MAKE it work. The front and back contours of the way Apple designed it doesn't allow it to be reversed like that. So, I said, "Oh well," and moved on.

This case is now the primary way I carry my iPad. It's a keeper. I do, however, still place the ipad/case combo inside a leather sleeve, which is designed for JUST the iPad, and it's a little tight, but protects the whole package. That's probably the way I will carry it.

So, I must say, nicely done ZAGG! The keyboard doesn't score a 100% with me, but it's good enough for my use and gets my praise. Thanks!

Dar

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies

Wacker,

Sorry if I came across too strong. That was not my intent. I was simply trying to give you a glimpse inside the numbers and mentioned the fact that many issues are resolved over the phone. Sorry if I implied those numbers meant our product is perfect. Far from it. If every unit were perfect, we wouldn't be sending replacement units. Those cases have been well documented and as I've said, I apologize for the major inconvenience this has caused the individuals who have had to wait a couple days to get a replacement product that should have worked correctly out of the box.

I hope this makes my point clear. We will continue to improve our manufacturing processes and shipping to avoid as many issues as possible (glue drops included). We aren't perfect, but are aiming toward it. As you mentioned with the auto industry, one cannot rest on his laurels and one needs to strive toward perfection. We are doing this. In the meantime, we have an amazing customer service department to make up the difference when we fall short. Please take advantage of them.

Thanks

Wacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification, you were just showing pride in your company and your product, that is a good thing.

Rusty Robot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so I tried to pair it with my MacBook just to see if it works, and I got the error "Pairing Unsuccessful". It did ask me to input the key presses before that error though. (The iPad doesn't even get to the key code part.) Can this unit be broken? I feel I should just return it and get another one. Also, I tried restoring my iPad and that didn't work. I guess I can wait to call customer support, but I don't see them doing anything useful at this point.

Rusty,

That message seems odd. Do you have the new Beta version of the software? Assuming you've checked to make sure you have the latest normal version of the software (as you stated), do a quick troubleshooting session using our FAQs located here:

If that doesn't work, call our customer support center. It seems like your ZAGGmate is working fine if your MacBook will pair with it. Seems more like an iPad issue, but we can help you with it. If it is something worse, we will get you another one right away. Hang in there.

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg, would you recommend calling Monday morning or waiting for Chris's email? I sort of what to expedite this as much as possible since I will be leaving for college soon and thats one of the reasons I got my zaggmate. Thank you.

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Replacement on it's way. If this one works properly, Zagg will have earned a lifetime consumer.

Alxc9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Losing Faith

I went to Best Buy tonight to buy the zaggmate...I was lucky and BB had 2 in stock. I bought one took it out to my car and it wouldn't turn on. I then found that the power cord to charge it was missing, I walked back into Best Buy and got the other one and to my surprise the replacement zaggmate had two O keys and no I key....I walked back inside and returned it. What gives??? Not sure if I want to buy it anymore.:confused:

jo.sta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i received my replaced Zaggmate and im amazed at zagg's customer service. i live in australia and i thought the whole replacement process would take about a month, but to my surprise, it took 8 days!

i sent my zagg back to be replaced on monday, zagg sent an email saying that they received the package and have sent out a new one on wednesday and on the following tuesday, i received a new zaggmate.

So far, everything is working very well and i think that it is the perfect accessory for note-taking, ecspecially for uni students.

the lifetime guaranteed is an amazing offer. i dont think you would be wasting your money when purchasing a zaggmate. :)

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay. This is what I TOTALLY want now. I wonder if I can return the Brookstone one? But I am confused. BestBuy states that it is in store AND that it is backordered. It states I can pick it up tomorrow AND that it will be shipped to the store in 1-2 weeks. I do not understand. It is either one or the other...I also want the leather skin...Does anyone know what it means when availability states tomorrow AND 1-2 weeks? Thanks!

I just bought one at BestBuy after having some trouble ordering directly from ZaggMate. I've used it for the past 24 hours and I think it's great.

I bought the bluetooth keyboard when I bought my iPad (64gig 3G), but it has been one more thing in my backpack, so I haven't used it much. I have a Targus cover, which has been fine - but it adds quite a bit of width to the whole thing.

The ZaggMate doesn't add much weight or width to the package and the keyboard works as advertized. After pairing the iPad and keyboard I was up and running in seconds. It is so natural that I haven't used the on-screen keyboard once.

BestBuy didn't have the Zagg clear plastic backing (the guy said the iPad was "unscratchable" but declined my offer to take my keys to the demo station and test his theory); and I, too, am thinking about buying the leather skin advertised on the Zaggmate site.

Anyone done this?

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay. This is what I TOTALLY want now. I wonder if I can return the Brookstone one? But I am confused. BestBuy states that it is in store AND that it is backordered. It states I can pick it up tomorrow AND that it will be shipped to the store in 1-2 weeks. I do not understand. It is either one or the other...I also want the leather skin...Does anyone know what it means when availability states tomorrow AND 1-2 weeks? Thanks!

I just bought one at BestBuy after having some trouble ordering directly from ZaggMate. I've used it for the past 24 hours and I think it's great.

I bought the bluetooth keyboard when I bought my iPad (64gig 3G), but it has been one more thing in my backpack, so I haven't used it much. I have a Targus cover, which has been fine - but it adds quite a bit of width to the whole thing.

The ZaggMate doesn't add much weight or width to the package and the keyboard works as advertised. After pairing the iPad and keyboard I was up and running in seconds. It is so natural that I haven't used the on-screen keyboard once.

BestBuy didn't have the Zagg clear plastic backing (the guy said the iPad was "unscratchable" but declined my offer to take my keys to the demo station and test his theory); and I, too, am thinking about buying the leather skin advertised on the Zaggmate site.

Anyone done this?

Most reactions